LG B9 - Odd horizontal purple bar flashes up at bottom of screen randomly

Doctor Hades

Has anyone else experienced a weird issue with the LG B9 or other LG OLED models, where a horizonal purple bar the entire width of the screen will flash up for a split-second inside a black box, which is approximately the thickness of a widescreen 2:35 aspect ratio movie's letterbox bar, intermittently at the bottom of the screen? It literally just pops up for a fraction of a second and is gone. Blink and you almost miss it.

I have seen this happen mostly while playing PS5 games, since I have been doing a lot of that since November, but also during BD and 4K UHD BD playback on my Panasonic UB820 player (it happened while watching the 4K disc of Kong Skull Island last night but only once) so it is not restricted to one of the HDMI ports and, therefore, unlikely to be an HDMI port or HDMI cable issue in my view.

This has been happening for me for the last two months. However, I don't think it is a fault as it looks exactly the same each time and the way it fades in and out suggests it is intentional. There is also no issue with the picture otherwise. I think it is a settings or apps bug.

It looks to be the same shade of purple used in the microphone icon when you press the Mic button on the remote. I use this feature to turn off the screen when I go out of the room and also to switch between Optical and TV audio. The purple bar appears roughly in the middle vertically where this icon appears. Also, I've noticed the bar flashes up usually when there is a audio as if it is reacting to something. It does happen frequently, perhaps two or three times over the course of several hours. Not sure if the interval between them is the same though.

What I've done turned off the TV (disabled QuickStart+) then turned it back on, disabled all the advertising features in the TV Settings menu in case it is something to do with those (I did change one of these settings before Christmas), and I've also uninstalled the Alexa app, in case it was somehow the cause (I have an Echo Dot anyway so have no need for the TV's built-in app).

I played Assassin's Creed: Valhalla for an hour after disabling these settings and did not see the purple bar but given that this is intermittent and random then it is too early to say if it is fixed.

Just wondered if anyone else seen this issue? TV is on the latest firmware by the way v5.00.10 and, I believe, this issue only started with this update or possibly the last one (5.00.05) but not before that.

Last edited:

CaptainEd

My son has been complaining of a yellow bar appearing randomly at the bottom of our 55B9 over the weekend, mostly when playing his Xbox. I've yet to see it myself, but expect it's Alexa discussed here

Your issue could be related?

Doctor Hades

My son has been complaining of a yellow bar appearing randomly at the bottom of our 55B9 over the weekend, mostly when playing his Xbox. I've yet to see it myself, but expect it's Alexa discussed here

Your issue could be related?

I have seen a flashing yellow line at the bottom of the screen previously but in my case this was definitely a notification from my Echo Dot regarding an Amazon delivery because it coincided with the notification light on the Echo Dot. This was because I had the Alexa app installed on the TV and linked to my Amazon account.

The purple bar is very similar, admittedly, but when it flashes on screen my Echo Dot is not showing its notification light or anything at all for that matter. I have now uninstalled the Alexa app though - it is unnecessary since I have an Echo Dot in the same room - and will see if this fixes the purple bar issue (though I do not think they are related). I think the purple bar is related to one of the advertising settings on the TV, one of which I enabled a while back and the purple bar started appearing shortly after this. It was around the time I got my PS5 in November so, initially, I thought it was a bug related to the console because I first noticed it while playing a game on the new console.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom