LG B9 4K OLED Review & Comments

Switch025

Great review, thanks Phil.

It was an easy decision for me back in October. The differences between the B9 and the C9 aren’t huge and I was already going over my budget to get an OLED. It was a £200 difference at the time and I don’t regret not spending the extra, it’s a fantastic TV.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Good review Phil Thank's.

I am taking it that panel variance is a thing then, my set was Calibrated by Jules and my Peak brightness was 602 nits on the Dolby Vision preset, or does Dolby yield higher Brightness than HDR?

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Anything?

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Anything?
Sorry, I'm on holiday so not checking threads. If you want a response it is also better to @ the person in question so they get a notification. You will get panel variance and differing results from the same models. If you have had yours calibrated by Jules you have nothing to worry about. My measurements for HDR are out of the box only and in the best out of the box settings.

psikey

Distinguished Member
I bought a C7 couple years ago as main TV and was looking for a larger Gaming monitor for my PC to replace my ASUS ROG Swift 27" 165Hz G-Sync for my PC gaming.

When price of B9 dropped to under £1100 in Black Friday sales and found out that NVidia added G-Sync support for latest GPUs (yes, even B9 not just C9/E9 as first reported) it was a "No Brainer".

I'm currently gaming on it at 1440p/120Hz rather than 4K/60Hz and just a perfect gaming TV. Hopefully when the 3080 Ti cards come out they will support HDMI 2.1 so I can go full 4k/120Hz.

Use this purely for PC & PS4Pro gaming (55" version and only sat about 3ft away!)

I was going to pay the extra £300 for the C9 but then realised the wide stand design wouldn't fit on my existing cabinet in my tiny Gaming/Movie room and wasn't wanting to wall mount.

Thanks for review, just confirms I'm not really missing anything by not going for the C9.

20191212_135123 1.jpg

Last edited:

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
I bought a C7 couple years ago as main TV and was looking for a larger Gaming monitor for my PC to replace my ASUS ROG Swift 27" 165Hz G-Sync for my PC gaming.

When price of B9 dropped to under £1100 in Black Friday sales and found out that NVidia added G-Sync support for latest GPUs (yes, even B9 not just C9/E9 as first reported) it was a "No Brainer".

I'm currently gaming on it at 1440p/120Hz rather than 4K/60Hz and just a perfect gaming TV. Hopefully when the 3080 Ti cards come out they will support HDMI 2.1 so I can go full 4k/120Hz.

Use this purely for PC & PS4Pro gaming (55" version and only sat about 3ft away!)

I was going to pay the extra £300 for the C9 but then realised the wide stand design wouldn't fit on my existing cabinet in my tiny Gaming/Movie room and wasn't wanting to wall mount.

Thanks for review, just confirms I'm not really missing anything by not going for the C9.

View attachment 1235307
beautiful

oldschool1987

Novice Member
I have the B7 and I'm thinking of getting the B9. I can't see any comparisons with the B7 and B9. Is the B9 a upgrade over the B7, or is there any downgrade? Is the picture noticeably better, or downgraded as well?

psikey

Distinguished Member
Maybe he means B7. Not had any Screen Burn on my B7 that I notice anyway.

I'd say my B9 is an evolution of B7 screen quality wise. Obviously much better for my use as gaming screen than B7.

Gabe777

Great review thanks.

I bought a 55 B9 last week as it was all they had at Very.

Very is nothing to pay for 12 months and zero interest and cost 975 ... no brainer as alternative was a 12 month wait for an OLED.

I'm upgrading from a 6 year old 50" Panny X60 plasma .... so do the math !

I find it stunning but the Warm 2 setting in Expert Day or Night is waaaay too warm.

I tend to switch between Warm1 for movies and Normal for other stuff.

One interesting feature I notice is this: when I play a Netflix 4K Dolby Vision HDR title through the onboard app, it auto-sets everything, and Dynamic Tone Mapping is greyed out. I believe this is because DV has it enabled automatically.

.... however, if I play the same title via my Amazon 4K Firestick, even though the Dolby HDR symbol pops up, I have the option of switching Dynamic Tone Mapping ON or OFF. Strange !

Also, the settings automatically configured for that same HDR title, are different on the Firestick vs the WebOS app. Strange again !

I'm confused !

And why is Cinema Home HDR, so horrid ? They stick all the Noise Reduction stuff to ON, Sharpness up to 20, Motion is set to CLEAR (!) ... and it's too bright, with raised blacks...... it is generally grotty to look at.

So what's that all about ?

Finally, this review says that the colours are very accurate out of the box, but Rtings say they're way off and Warm2 is 5400 kelvin... which is presumably way too warm.

Bottom line.... this review implies no real need for calibration, whereas Rtings suggest it is a necessity... or is it just down to the panel lottery ?

Thamks for any advice.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I would advise a calibration for sure, my set is Professionally Calibrated and it's done on Warm 2 and it just looks amazing, and yes panel lottery is a thing, the RTings one is far worse out of the box than mine was, my set was pushing Red and now it's been done it's fine even though it wasn't that far off, the Calibrator will do the Cinema Home preset for you, well my Calibrator did, that as well as HDR and ISF Night and ISF Day along with Dolby Vision.

iirc the firestick forces Dolby Vision and tries to apply it to everything and that you need to set it to Auto or it will just look bad, you shouldn't have an option for Tone Mapping with DV as its done automatically so you can see the Firestick is incorrect straight away.

Gabe777

Great. Thnx for the info.

Prolly a good idea to get a calibration done, as I have no clue.

What do they do when they come round, just close the curtains to mimic night viewing ?

Inferno

Distinguished Member

Gabe777

Yup agreed.

Put it on isfExpert Bright... during day and Dark... at night with little bit of bias lighting behind TV ... about 30W of 6500 kelvin light.

Also, switch Colour Temp to "Warm 1" ... under Expert Settings. Warm 2 tends to be TOO warm out of the box.

Then I just adjust OLED light to taste and conditions/ source material.

Don't forget, each HDMi input needs setting seperately ! It will remember each automatically.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Mine was Calibrated by Julian Scott a few months back now, it was calibrated on Warm 2, but it looks great now, I actually thought it was ok on Warm 2 before it was though.

Gabe777

Well it will be fine when calibrated. But out of the box most people find Warm 2 too orangey. Hence why most people stick it in Warm 1 as a compromise.

But all TVs will be different.

At the end of the day the best setting is the one you like the most. People get too hung up on it.

The Thracian

Novice Member
Yup agreed.

Put it on isfExpert Bright... during day and Dark... at night with little bit of bias lighting behind TV ... about 30W of 6500 kelvin light.

Also, switch Colour Temp to "Warm 1" ... under Expert Settings. Warm 2 tends to be TOO warm out of the box.

Then I just adjust OLED light to taste and conditions/ source material.

Don't forget, each HDMi input needs setting seperately ! It will remember each automatically.
I find warm 1 too cold. Yes, there is a bit of orange tint to the picture, but subtitles are white

The Thracian

Novice Member
I find warm 1 too cold. Yes, there is a bit of orange tint to the picture, but subtitles are white
Hi everyone! I found great settings for lg b9. SDR - Mode cinema, oled light 65, contrast 99, sharpness 15, gamma 2.4, warm 2, smooth gradiation low, peak brightness low, de- judder 3, de- blurr 0, everything else as it is. You will be amazed!!!

Inferno

Distinguished Member
Hi everyone! I found great settings for lg b9. SDR - Mode cinema, oled light 65, contrast 99, sharpness 15, gamma 2.4, warm 2, smooth gradiation low, peak brightness low, de- judder 3, de- blurr 0, everything else as it is. You will be amazed!!!
I'll let you keep them, I'll pass 😳

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy Buds Pro
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung launches Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra smart phones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Mola Mola debuts Kula integrated amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett