LG B8 v C8 at today's prices

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by blasted, Jun 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I know the question has been asked a few times, but seeing as the price has shifted somewhat from some of the earlier threads I would like to ask again. Use will be general, a mix of SD and HD sky, 1080 films and some UHD x.265 via plex. Possibly getting a Sonus sound bar at some point.

Currently looking at the LG OLED tv's. Richer sounds has the following including voucher deduction.

LG B8 at £1059
    LG C8 at £1299

Whilst I'm inclined to go for the C8, I really don't think the stand looks very good and it might bug me.

2. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    Perhaps you should allow the Panasonic TX55FZ802b to throw it's hat into the ring. Same cost as a C8 and if the LGs stand is a worry then the Panny's is very small and neat. It's up to you to look at the pros and cons of each model and make your decision but the Panny has the better image out of the box. Lacks Dolby Vision and Atmos which may be a factor as your are going for a soundbar, not an issue if you go 5.1.2.

4. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
  5. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    I did look at the Panasonic as well, the stands nice. The picture quality is going to be great on all of them in the real world, its just a case of nit picking the finer details and figuring out whats important. Web interface and Plex are the two main ones for me, after that its sound which may be supplemented by a sound bar at some point.

6. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    I am also looking to buy either the B8 or C8, I did consider other models but to be honest I am not even sure what would be using Dolby for example.

The stand also is a point I am hesitating at, as I prefer the B8 stand over the C8, the C8 just looks clunky to me.

Mine will be going on the wall though, so I presume the stands can be removed on the C8? Does anyone know?

7. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    The only thing I bother with on the Panny's interface is the TV apps. Netflix is rather good, certainly better than SkyQ. Soundwise it's certainly better than my old Panny plasma but the majority of my audio is via a 5.1.2 set up. I do know that the FZ does not, or is likely to get, Atmos.

It's just about finding out what is important in a set. I went for the Panny over LG because of PQ out of the box and a reported superior motion handling. The stand was quite important as it had to fit onto a bespoke bridge over my centre speaker which made stability an issue.

Going from a fully calibrated Panny plasma (Steve Withers) to the FZ802 I was amazed at just how good it's PQ is.

8. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
    Yes the stand can be removed.

9. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the stand on the C8 doesn't look quite right.

As for sound, starting off its going to be tv only, then possibly the Sonus sound bar, maybe and probably not for a good while I could add a couple of Sonus one's. @gibbsy how will that work with the Panasonic?

10. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,407
    Others may be able to help with Sonus. My mate has one but no sub of surrounds and uses it with his Panny LCD. I've never used one always having had full surround sound.
    _DSC4307.JPG

11. rafl

rafl
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For those wanting to buy a B8 research the black overshoot/near black flickering issue.

It appears to be fixed for the C8 and up with a firmware update according to forums but not yet on the B8...

12. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Care to elaborate? Is it happening on one you have?

13. paul211b

paul211b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    About to buy a B8 can someone show me what they mean with the black issue? A video would be great. Its a lot of money for a TV and to have issues is not good.

14. rafl

rafl
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have this issue on my TV. It's 1 month old and I see in it movies where there are a lot of near black scenes. (Do note: this is SDR content though).
    You only notice it when watching in a dark room. So in daylight or strong bias lighting the issue is mitigated.

The example is from someone who had this recorded before the fix on the C8 was applied.

15. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    So they fixed that on the C8 but the B8 still has those issues? Are other people experiencing this?

16. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,370
    I had a C8 when this flashing issue first surfaced. It was the reason I returned it for a refund - just couldn't risk it being a permanent issue with no comment from LG at that point in time.

I only ever spotted it in streamed content, more frequently on Amazon Prime than Netflix. 4K and standard Blu-ray were always fine for me in the few weeks I had it.

I moved on to the Panasonic FZ802B and would certainly recommend this. At the time I figured they're all LG Display panels so theoretically they all provide the same picture quality. That might well be true after a costly calibration, but if you want as close to a reference picture out of the box, you really can't go wrong with the FZ802. I read the comments and reviews about the picture, but never really realised the impact until I got my own.

The lacking Atmos didn't concern me, I didn't miss this from the LG. The passthrough aspect is beneficial to a proper Atmos setup but I never thought much of the Atmos effect from the TV's internal speakers. I figured if I get myself an Atmos setup down the road to pair with my FZ802, I can just access Netflix for this purpose on my Xbox or another device like an Apple TV.

So if you're looking specifically at the 2018 range, I'd recommend the Panasonic. There's not really a right or wrong pick - I initially went with the LG because it ticked more boxes feature wise.

It is worth being aware of your options though, the value of 2018 models is hard to beat. LG's 2019 range, which is available now, does feature HDMI 2.1. Also, Panasonic's 2019 range features the combination of both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.

17. akarma

akarma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I think right now when prices are close C8 is better. Near black issuie is still there on B8. It's a shame

18. Dead5tar

Dead5tar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I got a C8 being delivered by John Lewis next Friday.. price matched against Crampton & Moore at £1199

19. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    today ordered from the E-Bay Crampton & Moore at £1199 with E-bay £75 off .should be here next Monday.so £1124 a good price,

20. TheDarkKnight01

TheDarkKnight01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +454
    Debating whether to go for the 55C8 or the Toshiba 55X9863DB, with the latter being £725 it is very tempting but I have no knowledge on whether it is actually any good at this stage so will have to see if anyone else has purchased the Toshiba and get their feedback.