LG B8 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

Thanks I have just decided to leave the picture settings on ISF expert dark room as it looks pretty accurate and just turned off noise and tru motion
If you follow the AVRant settings as I do, he suggests not to turn of, but to set as follows;

True Motion = User with De-Judder and De-Blur sliders both set to 0 (NOTE: User with both sliders at 0 activates 120Hz refresh without doing any frame interpolation)

If you follow the AVRant settings as I do, he suggests not to turn of, but to set as follows;

True Motion = User with De-Judder and De-Blur sliders both set to 0 (NOTE: User with both sliders at 0 activates 120Hz refresh without doing any frame interpolation)
I'll check the settings out now and see what looks best.the picture quality on this tv is something else,even on low quality content

Is it not accurate? never had a OLED before but it looks good to me coming from a lcd,led or whatever they are called,the picture quality is so much better
I watched David Attenborough's new 'Life in Colour' on the inbuilt iplayer app last night, which is in HLG HDR and it's amazing!

Is everyone using Dynamic tone mapping for all HDR content and does it make a difference?
Yes, it makes all the difference and is recognized as one of the best on the market.

Yes, it makes all the difference and is recognized as one of the best on the market.
That's not true.
Sometimes brightens midtones, other times darkens the already dark parts.
i disabled it.
Is it not accurate? never had a OLED before but it looks good to me coming from a lcd,led or whatever they are called,the picture quality is so much better
LG FAQed up the "gamma" since firmware v4.10.65, resulting black crush in every picture mode, and not just never fixed it but never even acknowledged it with the B8 (they did both with C8)
You can test yours like this.

The problem with just cranking up the brightness is it causes glowing blacks.

Pixels that should be off turn on, making it look like a cheap backlit TV.

It's a terrible problem with no decent fix. I've left mine on FW 04.10.25 and will never update it.
You should just raise the brightness one step below where it glows. Works fine on my set. up to 52. I still use it on 50 tho, because I have pretty nasty banding that I want to avoid highlighting.

I have recently reset my tv back to factory defaults. When I clicked the source button to watch sky q I used to get a dialog box stating click here to turn on your set top box and now it’s not there!
I found this quite useful and I miss it! Any ideas how to get it back?

Dolby vision on Netflix looks incredible and so clean on this tv.On the tv I had before nearly everything I watched looked like it had grain all over the screen but it looks so different on the B8

I am on the Xbox test program and I am currently testing games using Dolby Vision instead of the normal HDR10 on the Xbox Series X.

I would say in general the DV looks a lot more balanced then the normal HDR, normal I use the tone mapping option with the B8, because in general I found it gave me a lot more of the highlights back.

If you have a dedicated HDMI for the Xbox there are some few setting you need to make sure you check, you will need to set up the Dolby Vision picture mode for that HDMI input (I used DV Game) with all your favourite DV settings.

But most importantly you need to go into the HDR configuration on the Xbox and go through the test cards and make sure you get them bang on, because the DV gets it settings from these settings.

Xbox Series X Begins Testing Dolby Vision Games - Advantage LG over Sony OLED

If you do get the option to use the Dolby Vision on your games, I would definitely give it a go.

Given this TV is a good few years old now what are the best go to settings to use or would someone mind sharing their picture settings with me. I use ISF Dark and Bright room modes but I am running the latest firmware and I think with each firmware update my TV is no longer calibrated from what it was when I first got it. I have no idea which settings I am using.

I have tried the youtube calibration options but I don’t think this has made much difference.

Given this TV is a good few years old now what are the best go to settings to use or would someone mind sharing their picture settings with me. I use ISF Dark and Bright room modes but I am running the latest firmware and I think with each firmware update my TV is no longer calibrated from what it was when I first got it. I have no idea which settings I am using.

I have tried the youtube calibration options but I don’t think this has made much difference.
Only had mine a few weeks but the ISF and technicolour picture settings look pretty accurate using warm 2 and Gamma 2.2

I calibrated it to someone else’s settings on here when I got it back in 2018/2019 so I managed to get it better than the default factory settings but hopefully someone can say what is best.

I use these: Rob H's LG OLED TV Settings | AV Rant
Or you could use these:

I use these: Rob H's LG OLED TV Settings | AV Rant
Or you could use these:
Tried them settings and they are pretty good apart from the OLED light being on 14,it looks far too dark so I have it on 40

Edit: OLED light at 14 is actually ok in a dark room and not as dim as I thought

Last edited:
What does everyone have their white balance settings at?

Mine are red +11
Green 0
Blue +2

Last edited:
Tried them settings and they are pretty good apart from the OLED light being on 14,it looks far too dark so I have it on 40

Edit: OLED light at 14 is actually ok in a dark room and not as dim as I thought
If you check those AV Rant settings again, the suggested setting at 14 is for a dark room, whilst they recommend 45 for a bright room.

I have started to have issues with the Netflix App, constantly asking me to sign in again. I have tried removing the app and re-installing, plus I have turned the TV off at the mains and then plugged it back in, all with no success.
I also went in to my Netflix account on a PC and logged every device out and again, this has not solved this Sign in issue.

Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it, or is it just me?

I'm currently on FW 4.10.36 and would prefer not to update to a later one as I know they have issues with Black crush (or has that been improved/settings to fix?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have started to have issues with the Netflix App, constantly asking me to sign in again. I have tried removing the app and re-installing, plus I have turned the TV off at the mains and then plugged it back in, all with no success.
I also went in to my Netflix account on a PC and logged every device out and again, this has not solved this Sign in issue.

Has anyone else had this issue and resolved it, or is it just me?

I'm currently on FW 4.10.36 and would prefer not to update to a later one as I know they have issues with Black crush (or has that been improved/settings to fix?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Same here, although I rarely use it, I thought it just me (also on old 4.10.25 firmware if that matters).

I'm on the latest FW, no Netflix login problems at all. Using the app daily. Also no black crush issues at all on my set.

I'm on the latest FW, no Netflix login problems at all. Using the app daily. Also no black crush issues at all on my set.
Hmmm, so if I did allow my screen to update to the latest firmware, I may resolve the Netflix issue. It is tempting, but I am pleased with my picture settings and would not want to negatively impact them and have to go through the process of changing settings to get back to a decent picture.

It would be nice to have the Apple and Disney+ apps available with the latest firmware, but whether that is enough of a rewards, I don't know.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom