LG B8 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

Maybe it will help someone here.

My B8 had the black crush issue where I had to set brightness at around 62 to have bar 17 flash.

I managed to convince richer sound (UK) to help and they replaced the screen.

Things are much better now with bar 17 flashing when brightness is set to 53.

I sent video files of the test to LG whoc confirmed there's a gamma issue, and then passed it to richer sounds.

My B8 had the black crush issue where I had to set brightness at around 62 to have bar 17 flash.

I sent video files of the test to LG whoc confirmed there's a gamma issue, and then passed it to richer sounds.
Interesting, I will look at mine, how long did you have it before you raised the issue/they replaced it?

Replaced it with a new B8?

They replaced it with a new screen.

I had this issue for months and then one day I decided to try and act.

I contacted LG first which quoted me 999 gbp for a screen replacement since its out of warranty.

Then I sent this to richer and explained everything and they were super helpful. Took about 1-2 weeks.

Is there a way to screen share from my iPhone to the tv without having to buy an app from Apple Store?
Have googled and see about Airplay but that seems to just be with an Apple TV or US version of tv if I’m correct? There’s obviously the screen share option but only for Android or Windows PC
I just want to project Facebook etc onto my tv.
Tried the web browser but it aint very good. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:

What picture setting do you use when doing the Bar test?

I have the black crush issue but am wondering - if I put my PC in HDR mode, will SDR content display correctly and thus solve the issue?

I'm asking as I was just testing the AVS 709 which correctly flashed 17 and I then realised I had HDR turned on.

Is there a way to screen share from my iPhone to the tv without having to buy an app from Apple Store?
Have googled and see about Airplay but that seems to just be with an Apple TV or US version of tv if I’m correct? There’s obviously the screen share option but only for Android or Windows PC
I just want to project Facebook etc onto my tv.
Tried the web browser but it aint very good. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

I think we're all waiting for the LG update to support Airplay and Homekit. It was supposed to be released in Oct 2020 and was then (allegedly) pushed back to Dec 2020 but still nothing.

Not sure if this needs an Apple update or an LG firmware update.

Anyone know any more on this and when we can expect it?

I think we're all waiting for the LG update to support Airplay and Homekit. It was supposed to be released in Oct 2020 and was then (allegedly) pushed back to Dec 2020 but still nothing.

Not sure if this needs an Apple update or an LG firmware update.

Anyone know any more on this and when we can expect it?

Thanks for the reply scoobydoobydoo.
I hope this update isn’t much longer 🤞

Thinking of putting led strips on the back for bias lighting. Are there any issues doing this? No risks of damaging tele?

Thinking of putting led strips on the back for bias lighting. Are there any issues doing this? No risks of damaging tele?

I have LED strips on the back of mine and had no issues at all apart from an area starting to lose its stickiness after a while.
I have stuck them around the actual main box that contains all the circuit boards etc and not the screen itself.

Do you mean you've only stuck them round the bottom half and not the flat top half?

Do you mean you've only stuck them round the bottom half and not the flat top half?
Yes. You can buy in different sizes and ones I bought are not big enough to fit around the whole screen. They work fine and do the job.
I got the ones that you plug into the USB port.

EDIT: Disregard. I tested in a pitch black room and can see them all flashing.

I have black crush in HDR using this test and the HDR test pattern set. It's occurring on both my PC and PS5.

I've turned off auto black level and manually set to low on TV and devices and tried multiple options Game/ISF etc. I'm clipping at 80 instead of 64. I'm testing using Plex on PS5 and VLC on Windows. WMP shows correct flashing to 64 but blacks are all elevated with no proper black.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Which firmware do you use?

I have LED strips on the back of mine and had no issues at all apart from an area starting to lose its stickiness after a while.
I have stuck them around the actual main box that contains all the circuit boards etc and not the screen itself.

I‘m interested in doing the same - which strips did you go for?

Is one USB enough to power it?

Also, how do you turn it on/off, with remote?
Is it possible to have it come on only when the TV is actually on, and not in standby mode?

thanks

I‘m interested in doing the same - which strips did you go for?

Is one USB enough to power it?

Also, how do you turn it on/off, with remote?
Is it possible to have it come on only when the TV is actually on, and not in standby mode?

thanks
I’ve just posted the light I purchased as a result of the review.
You only need to plug one USB in and it will power off when the TV powers down so no need to use the remote.

I’ve just posted the light I purchased as a result of the review.
You only need to plug one USB in and it will power off when the TV powers down so no need to use the remote.
Hi never had the ambilight feature. How do you rate it with the b8? Worth doing?

Only really worth doing if you have the main lights off or very low. The science appears to suggest that it’s better for your eyes, plus it looks quite cool 😎
I’ve attached a pic my wife took recently - trust her to be watching Corrie at the time 🤦‍♂️ D4C0A7F7-2DA8-41AD-97C1-7E1272B7C0FE.jpeg

Only really worth doing if you have the main lights off or very low. The science appears to suggest that it’s better for your eyes, plus it looks quite cool 😎
I’ve attached a pic my wife took recently - trust her to be watching Corrie at the time 🤦‍♂️View attachment 1427779
Looks great. Thanks. Any chance of some pictures of how it's fitted at the back please? My TV is in the corner and isn't wall mounted mind. Its pretty dark though, with only a lamp on. Cheers

Looks great. Thanks. Any chance of some pictures of how it's fitted at the back please? My TV is in the corner and isn't wall mounted mind. Its pretty dark though, with only a lamp on. Cheers
I’ve attached several images. You can just make out the IR receiver that comes with it hanging. I have my strip set to 10% light output. You’ll notice that it’s barely visible when the ceiling lights are on.

Attachments

• 1C04D502-5478-4008-8DF1-11DCEE6FFB84.jpeg
    1C04D502-5478-4008-8DF1-11DCEE6FFB84.jpeg
    195.3 KB · Views: 189
  • 9D92F444-030E-4254-B396-96EC6994EF51.jpeg
    9D92F444-030E-4254-B396-96EC6994EF51.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 149
  • 4AEB8EB5-4AA4-421F-AF1B-BBF87DD350BB.jpeg
    4AEB8EB5-4AA4-421F-AF1B-BBF87DD350BB.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 150

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?