LG B8 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

Ive a B8 and a Marantz 1504, I have all my sky PS4 etc plugged into the Marantz then one HDMI cable out to the B8.

All works great expect I can get the B8 to go into game mode when the ps4 goes on. So on sky and my Apple TV the picture setting is ifs bright room and if it detects HDR will go into cinema home or the dolby vision one.
However the ps4 doesn't switch to game mode just sits on ifs bright room or cinema home HDR unless I manually change the picture setting

Used to work with automatically with an old Panasonic led I had prior to this so if I turned on the ps4 pic settings would change from true cinema to game mode

Didn't need to do anything. anyone got any ideas if I've missed something simple

The sound on the YouTube app on the b8 has become horribly out of sync! Any ideas?
I tried reinstalling it but no joy

Does anybody have the Britbox app working on their B8 please? On my TV, after selecting any title and attempting to play I get:

"CAN'T PLAY VIDEO"
"Unfortunately, an error has occurred. Please try again later."

No prizes for guessing that trying again later does not fix the problem.

I have firmware 4.10.65 in case that makes any odds. Britbox works fine on a laptop using the same router.

Thank you.

The sound on the YouTube app on the b8 has become horribly out of sync! Any ideas?
I tried reinstalling it but no joy
I tried it this morning and seems normal to me although it's never perfect. I guess these things are subjective though.

Ive a B8 and a Marantz 1504, I have all my sky PS4 etc plugged into the Marantz then one HDMI cable out to the B8.

All works great expect I can get the B8 to go into game mode when the ps4 goes on. So on sky and my Apple TV the picture setting is ifs bright room and if it detects HDR will go into cinema home or the dolby vision one.
However the ps4 doesn't switch to game mode just sits on ifs bright room or cinema home HDR unless I manually change the picture setting

Used to work with automatically with an old Panasonic led I had prior to this so if I turned on the ps4 pic settings would change from true cinema to game mode

Didn't need to do anything. anyone got any ideas if I've missed something simple
I have to change it to Game manually too using my Xbox One. However, I wonder how the Panasonic "knew" that you're playing a game as opposed to watching a 4K HDR movie on the console. Is there some HDMI condition that trigger this? Just curious.

I have to change it to Game manually too using my Xbox One. However, I wonder how the Panasonic "knew" that you're playing a game as opposed to watching a 4K HDR movie on the console. Is there some HDMI condition that trigger this? Just curious.

no idea how it knew I had a Sony before that, that used to be able to do it as well (abt only HD). My dad has a C9 and that has a game response option that sounds like it auto switches to game mode. So must be something they’ve added to later models

is anyone having an issue with three B8 not showing Dolby vision with the built in Netflix app? is there an issue. thanks

is anyone having an issue with three B8 not showing Dolby vision with the built in Netflix app? is there an issue. thanks
What movie/TV series are you accessing?

What movie/TV series are you accessing?
Ok just found out my own answer. We have been watching designated survivor currently season 2
And it does state Dolby vision on the main page, but it’s only season 3 that is Dolby vision, had me thinking why isn’t it working! Netflix should put season 3 Dolby vision...

Anyone with a PS4 Pro on here. Im curious as to what picture settings everyone is now using with hdr & non HDR games. Especially with all the brightness issues we've been having.

Does anybody have the Britbox app working on their B8 please? On my TV, after selecting any title and attempting to play I get:

"CAN'T PLAY VIDEO"
"Unfortunately, an error has occurred. Please try again later."

No prizes for guessing that trying again later does not fix the problem.

I have firmware 4.10.65 in case that makes any odds. Britbox works fine on a laptop using the same router.

Thank you.
Fixed. I updated to 05.20.01 firmware which I guess updated the WebOs to 4.2.0-8301 fixing the problem with Britbox.

no idea how it knew I had a Sony before that, that used to be able to do it as well (abt only HD). My dad has a C9 and that has a game response option that sounds like it auto switches to game mode. So must be something they’ve added to later models
Now that I've switched to another picture mode (i.e. Game) when TV was in HDR mode, the B8 now automatically switches between non-HDR and HDR picture modes.

That means the B8 TV switches based only on HDR or non-HDR source material and it does not distinguish between a game or an HDR movie from the same source box. I suppose this is one of the downsides of using an AVR to switch through all the sources to one HDMI input into the TV. All HDR material will have the same picture settings and all non-HDR material will have the same picture settings without further manual intervention. If all the sources went straight to the TV HDMIs you could at least have non-HDR/HDR picture modes per HDMI input. As you say, I guess LG did add something to the C9 if it can distinguish between a game and other material from the same box.

Does anybody know if Dolby Vision can display at 4K 60hz on the B8? just looking ahead to when the xbox series x has Dolby Vision games in the future, I'm sure I read that DV caps at 30 max.....or is this on earlier HDMI spec?

Last edited:
So, can anyone recap the current firmware status? I have 4.10.25 ( backdated from 65 or 55 )...should I update or stay? I noticed black crush and then backdated. Has anyone used the IRE to fix stuff and is happy with the results? Has anyone updated from 25 / 65 and not had the black crush? Thanks!

Couple of people stated the above (read back 2.pages) but when we asked for details they vanished (basically using this forum as a twitter account :)).
So it can happen, tgat the issue doesn't exiat when you upgrade that much, but we don't know for sure, because none of use dared to upgrade yet :)

Hi all.. My B8 has developed a problem when using the in built All 4 app... it opens as normal, but then cuts out with a ‘check network connection’ message .. error code -105 ‘the requested address cannot be found’ The internet connection is fine, and everything else working ok. I’ve tried re booting the tv but no joy. Has anyone else had this issue, and any help appreciated! Thanks

Hi everyone. I have a question in regards to Earc and my b8 tv. Has there been a software update to implement this? I'm looking at wanting to get a Sonos Arc with surround and bass but noticed it works best with a tv that supports Earc. Did the Earc every get updated by LG?

Hi all.. My B8 has developed a problem when using the in built All 4 app... it opens as normal, but then cuts out with a ‘check network connection’ message .. error code -105 ‘the requested address cannot be found’ The internet connection is fine, and everything else working ok. I’ve tried re booting the tv but no joy. Has anyone else had this issue, and any help appreciated! Thanks
All4 was working fine on my B8 last night. I have the firmware 5.10.01. That might be the difference.

Hi everyone. I have a question in regards to Earc and my b8 tv. Has there been a software update to implement this? I'm looking at wanting to get a Sonos Arc with surround and bass but noticed it works best with a tv that supports Earc. Did the Earc every get updated by LG?
My hunch is that the B8 hardware was never designed to support it so I suspect there never will be a software update.

So, can anyone recap the current firmware status? I have 4.10.25 ( backdated from 65 or 55 )...should I update or stay? I noticed black crush and then backdated. Has anyone used the IRE to fix stuff and is happy with the results? Has anyone updated from 25 / 65 and not had the black crush? Thanks!
I have updated to 5.10.01. I haven't noticed any negative effects on the picture but not sure what black crush is anyway. If you tell me what to look for and how to look for it, I'll report back.

Obviously it wont be full spec but any idea what is the max we will get out of a B8 with PS5/Xbox series X?

Hi all, my B8 suggested an “important” update just now now to 5.10.10. Auto updates are off and my router blocks Su.LG.com and snu.LG.com. Have they added another site we have to block? I’m on 4.10.25.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom