LG B8 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

Reading some news that says that all OLED LG's now have the apple tv app - cannot find it on my content store. Am I doing something wrong?
(on the latest firmware, upgraded today)

I'm also waiting for the Apple TV app.

Is AirPlay 2 going to be rolled into that same release or do we not know yet?

Lastly, how often do LG update their firmware?

Hi can you explain how to use the colour chart on AVS & how you got to 54?
Load up the AVS HD 709 Flashing Colour Bars on YouTube, turn on the Blue Colour Filter under Expert Controls the change the setting so that the boxes don't flash or flash the smallests amount, in the old days I used my THX blue filter glasses for this as it does the same job as the filter, I have checked these setting using the glasses as well and came up with the same result, so I am happy the filter works the same.

Glad I could help!

With these settings the picture really looks stunning, I encourage everybody to try them if you haven’t found your „right“ ones yet. (My only difference is Warm 1 instead of 2 which should be own preference)

Are you a gamer MonkeyBoy? If that’s the case I would be interested in your settings for the game mode SDR/HDR.
Here are my game setting I have an Xbox X directly connected to the TV on its on HDMI port, but note you will nearly always have to change the settings in the game also to get the best out of it, especially if there is decent HDR options.

Also if you watch 4k HDR Blu-rays on the Xbox you need to use different settings to the game settings otherwise the image will look washed out, I have them listed here also.

Gaming Settings

Picture
Aspect Ratio Settings > Original​
Energy Saving: Off​
Additional Settings > HDMI Ultra HD Deep Colour: On​
SDR Gaming
Picture Mode: ISF Expert (Dark Room) (But with input label set to PC icon)
OLED Light: 30​
Contrast: 84 (Xbox calibrate HDTV app)
Brightness: 60 (Xbox calibrate HDTV app)
Sharpness: 10​
Colour: 52 (Xbox calibrate HDTV app)
Tint: 0 (Xbox calibrate HDTV app)
HDR Gaming
HDR Picture Mode: Game (User)​
OLED Light: 100​
Contrast: 100​
Brightness: 50​
Sharpness: 10​
Colour: 50​
Tint: 0​
Colour Temperature: W40​
HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray
HDR Picture Mode: Cinema (User)​
Brightness: 45 (Black bars on HDR 4K UHD Blu-ray)
Advanced Controls
Dynamic Tone Mapping: On​
Picture Options
Black Level : Auto​
Motion Eye Care: Off​
TruMotion: Off​

Xbox One X Settings

Display
Resolution: 4K UHD​
Refresh Rate: 60Hz​
Advanced Video Modes
Allow 50Hz: On​
Allow 24Hz: On​
Allow YCC 4:2:2 > On​
Allow 4K: On​
Allow HDR10: On​
Allow Dolby Vision: On​
4k TV Details: All Green Ticks​
Video Fidelity & Overscan
Overrides: Auto-Detect (Recommended)​
Colour Depth: 30 bits Per Pixel (10 Bit)​
Colour Space: Standard (Recommended)​
Overscan Borders > Apps Can Add A Border > Off​
Digital Audio Settings
HDMI Audio: Bitstream Out​
Optical Audio: Off​
Bitstream Format: Dolby Digital​
Headset Format : Stereo Uncompressed​
Disc & Blu-ray
Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Control: Off​
Enable BD Live: On​
Let My Receiver Decode Audio: On​

Load up the AVS HD 709 Flashing Colour Bars on YouTube, turn on the Blue Colour Filter under Expert Controls the change the setting so that the boxes don't flash or flash the smallests amount, in the old days I used my THX blue filter glasses for this as it does the same job as the filter, I have checked these setting using the glasses as well and came up with the same result, so I am happy the filter works the same.
Ok cheers. Will give it a go.

New Update 05.10.50 just showed up for me to install when I just switched on my TV.
Anyone installed yet?

New Update 05.10.50 just showed up for me to install when I just switched on my TV.
Anyone installed yet?
[05.10.50]
1. fix that playback doesn't work when setting YouTube speed to such as x2

Anyone installed yet?
I have. Not sure if it improves anything though. Did the black clipping test. Levels still the same on my TV.

I updated and now everything just seems dimmer? haven't made any settings changes at all.

I updated and now everything just seems dimmer? haven't made any settings changes at all.

Thats what we discussing here since almost a year when 04.10.65 was released that introduced the bug ;)

Sometimes the difference is visible instantly after updating, in some cases it needs a factory reset or newer updates to "activate" the bug - I've seen both cases. Some people told me they don't have a bug (my friend included I updated his TV myself), but when you do a factory reset you see the new buggy gamma.

in some cases it needs a factory reset or newer updates to "activate" the bug - I've seen both cases. Some people told me they don't have a bug (my friend included I updated his TV myself), but when you do a factory reset you see the new buggy gamma.
That's interesting. Personally I didn't have to do factory reset to see the difference with 04.10.65.

So, here are the test cases (for SDR, HDR10, DoVi), please everyone post back their result with noting your firmware version.
If we will have at least 5 results then I'll write an email to Vincent Teoh, Maciej@hdtvpolska and John Archer.

Setup for every preset:
  • Reset every preset at first (if it's not an issue)
  • every option at its default setting, and turn off every unneeded motion/picture modifier options
  • brightness: at default 50 (!)
  • contrast also at default value depending on the preset (e.g.. sdr: 85, hdr10: 100, DoVi: 100)
  • oled light: with SDR let's set it to 33 (~120 nits on mine), (hdr10: 100, DoVi: 50)
  • gamma with SDR: set gamma 2.4 !
  • with HDR10: turn off dynamic tonemapping as well!
  • play the sample clips from a thumbdrive with the built-in LG player (to get around the other possible setup issues)
  • warm up the display for at least 10 minutes
  • do the test during the night in a dark room (DoVi near black test pattern requires pitch black room!)
  • take a note which bar(s) you still see blinking

SDR: from AVSHD 709 get mp4 version, and this one from it "Basic Settings\1-Black Clipping.mp4"
  • use ISF Dark room preset with gamma 2.4
  • use "ColorHCFR Windows\5% Grayscale\01-0% Black.mp4" to check elevated black

HDR10: from Mehanik HDR10 patterns get 7zip version, and this one from it "01. Black level\01. black-level-v1.mp4" and "02. black-level-v2.mp4"
  • use Cinema preset, turn off Dynamic tonemapping !
  • use "05_oled-full-black-screen-check.mp4" to check elevated black

DoVi:
  • use DoVi Cinema preset
  • on Netflix: Jessica Jones s03e10 at 38:10, when they sit at the backseat. You should easily distinguish between the carpet of the seat, clothes, etc.
  • from test.fullband patterns, get BlackPLUGE.U4K_DVp5.mp4 (its user manual) (the complete package)
  • sspears's DoVi near black pattern: profile 8 single track version (spears_and_munsil_drlow_dolby_vision_p81.mp4) from here, (original profile7 dual track version), (or alternatively DoVi samples from here), more info
  • converted Mehanik's HDR10 "02_black-level-v2_dvp81.ts" from here
  • converted Mehanik's HDR10 "05_oled-full-black-screen-check_dvp81.ts" from here, to check elevated black

That's it, enjoy testing! :)

Last edited:
here are the test cases (for SDR, HDR10, DoVi)
My results with v4.10.25:
- SDR: bar 18 is blinking (I don't see bar 17)
- HDR10: 68/72 faintly
- DoVi:
-- Jessica Jones: everything is visible as it should
-- BlackPLUGE: only the 2 vertical stripe is visible (none of the rectangles is visible at the left side)

One of my friend's results with 5.10.50 (note he didn't do factory reset after upgrade):
- SDR: he had to increase brightness to 58
- HDR10: he had to increase brightness to 54
- DoVi: nothing is visible by default, he had to increase brightness to 58

Last edited:
My results with 5.10.50:
- SDR: had to increase brightness to 54
- HDR10: he had to increase brightness to 53
- DoVi: nothing is visible by default, had to increase brightness to 54

Apart from the input lag. If any. What's the difference between standard & game settings on hdr gaming? I have a pair of b&o Bluetooth headphones which I sometimes use for gaming when it's late. When I use them, the game setting isn't available which I find odd. Why is that? So I'm forced to use another preset. I've settled on standard which I've tweaked. To my eyes it looks better than game & the lag isn't obvious.

Apart from the input lag. If any. What's the difference between standard & game settings on hdr gaming?... I've settled on standard which I've tweaked. To my eyes it looks better than game & the lag isn't obvious.
Game preset is worse quality than any other presets, due to LG skips couple image processing with it.
So, if you don't mind the input lag then use normal preset: ISF Bright/Dark for SDR / Cinema for HDR.

And thanks for the test!

So, here are the test cases (for SDR, HDR10, DoVi), please everyone post back their result with noting your firmware version.

Hi,

I bought a LG B8 in Finland December 2018. Everything was great at the beginning. At some point, cant remember when, I noticed that dark blacks aren't visible properly and they're 'crushed'. Can't remember using the factory reset other than once a long time ago when my audio stopped working.

Edit: Software version 5.10.50

Ran all tests. Had to increase brightness to:
SDR: 57
HDR: 53
DoVi: 59

Last edited:
My results (OLED B8 55 inches)

Software version 5.10.50 (latest)

Ran all tests. Had to increase brightness to:

SDR: 59
HDR: 54
DoVi: 58

But, DoVi above 54 you loose the true black :thumbsdow:thumbsdow
I'm with 5.10.50 and I'm so disapointed.
I know It's higly recommended to disable all extra image settings, but with this issue maybe enabling dinamic contrast could be a solution in this case.

Yes, it's terrible, particularly because the flashing macro blocking issue is still NOT FIXED on the B8 sets, and raising brightness makes the issue more prominent. Please, @chros, write on! We need fix ASAP!. Thank you very much.

Please, @chros, write on! We need fix ASAP!. Thank you very much.
:) Don't hold your breath: I wrote 2 of them last Sunday, haven't got any reply so far. If someone knows how to contact Jon Archer then do so or let me know.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom