LG B8 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

Oh, and one more thing, 5.10.50 is heavy. For a TV firmware, that is. Hopefully, it's because it will bring a bunch of bug fixes to the B8...
It's a large data file because it's contains (almost) the entire software and firmware for the television. Regardless of how many bugs have been fixed or new features have been added...

It's a large data file because it's contains (almost) the entire software and firmware for the television. Regardless of how many bugs have been fixed or new features have been added...

Ohhh, I see. Thank you very much.

One major bug that still persist today is the raised blacks when watching Dolby Vision content on an Apple TV 4K compared to the native apps of the TV, where the blacks remains pure. Also, there are brightness fluctuations from shot to shot, whereas, again, this not happen when watching Dolby Vision content with the TV native apps, only with an Apple TV 4K via HDMI.

Software updates in the Apple TV didn't fixed it, and neither did software updates on the television.

At this point, I doubt it's fixable at all. It even happens on the c9 and b9 sets.

Vicent Teoh reported the problem back in 2018, and still not fixed.

Excuse my English.

Can somebody post their pro calibrated settings for the newer/latest FW? I think they will be a good starting point to "fix" the black crush problem for the people who don't have pro TV calibrator in their country.

I've been playing around with the settings recently regarding the black crush etc. Since raising the brightness to 54, contrast to 85 & oled light to 37..the picture has improved a tad. I watch a lot of downloaded content using a HDD. Has anyone else noticed that using different inputs show fluctuation in black levels. I recorded force awakens yesterday so I could watch the 2nd half of the film later on. Whilst watching live, I was using the ISF dark preset with a 2.4 gamma..the recording on the other hand seemed to be much darker & needed the ISF brightness with a 2.2 gamma. Is this normal?

Just tested a YouTube black clipping test. Would that work ok or do I need to download it onto a usb stick & use it that way? The YouTube is showing 54 brightness like you suggested using 2.4 gamma on ISF dark. I remember 50 being ok when I first received the TV. Massive difference. Which gamma are you guys using? BT1886 or 2.4? 2.2 in my eyes, is good only for bright daytime viewing.

Should work too. I use the one from the AVS HD 709 files.

I use 2.2 and brightness 54 before the bug happened. After upgrading to 04.10.65 I had to ramp the brightness up to 61-62 to see the result like before, or switching to gamma 1.9. So I downgraded the firmware and I'm staying at 04.10.36.

Never tried gamma 2.4, when I got the TV it looked to dark for me and I used 2.2 because most calibrators etc stick to it too and years ago it was the standard for movies. But I'll give it a shot with the black clipping test

Here is a very nice discussion about this, including Vincent from HDTVTest:

Can somebody post their pro calibrated settings for the newer/latest FW? I think they will be a good starting point to "fix" the black crush problem for the people who don't have pro TV calibrator in their country.

I don't think you can take detailed calibration settings and apply them to your panel, since each is different. Could do more "harm" than good. But just give my settings a shot I posted at #2,387 and just play with gamma and brightness in combination with the black clipping test.

Never tried gamma 2.4, when I got the TV it looked to dark for me and I used 2.2 because most calibrators etc stick to it too and years ago it was the standard for movies. But I'll give it a shot with the black clipping test
I always use(d) 2.4 gamma (= bt1886 with zero black) with 4.10.25 on a cloudy day and evening, only use 2.2 during bright daylight.

The purpose of gamma to give depth to the picture, the higher the gamma (2.4 > 2.2) the more depth achieved. You can easily try this by switching between 1.9 and 2.4.

Should work too. I use the one from the AVS HD 709 files.

I use 2.2 and brightness 54 before the bug happened. After upgrading to 04.10.65 I had to ramp the brightness up to 61-62 to see the result like before, or switching to gamma 1.9. So I downgraded the firmware and I'm staying at 04.10.36.

Here is a very nice discussion about this, including Vincent from HDTVTest:

Good old Vincent. I'll have a read. Cheers

I always use(d) 2.4 gamma (= bt1886 with zero black) with 4.10.25 on a cloudy day and evening, only use 2.2 during bright daylight.

The purpose of gamma to give depth to the picture, the higher the gamma (2.4 > 2.2) the more depth achieved. You can easily try this by switching between 1.9 and 2.4.

Are you using a different brightness setting when switching from 2.4 to 2.2?

Does that mean that 2.4 gamma with higher brightness would give better depth and a sharper punchier picture than say 2.2 gamma?

Are you using a different brightness setting when switching from 2.4 to 2.2?
- 2.4 gamma: 33 oled light (~120nits after D65 calibration)
- 2.2 gamma: 39 oled light (~138nits after D65 calibration), still below ABL treshold, in a sunny environment

Edit: Got it wrong in the black clipping test. Using brightness 51 now

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah yeah yeah, but first, LG, fix the goddamn gamma, please! Stop the black crush!

Don't give a toss about apple.
Fix the bloody issue or simply they can't in which they should own up. But I know they won't.

Last edited:
In addition of the Apple TV app to 2018 models, FINALLY LG decided to offer Airplay 2 AND Homekit to the 2018 models (B8-Z8 included!) - to be added until October 2020 through OTA software update.

LG Help Library: LG TV support of Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit (built-in) | LG Canada (scroll down to 'latest update')

THANK YOU LG!!
Looked but couldn’t see any latest update. That link is from 2019? Can you show me exactly where it states 2018 TV’s get these Apple updates?

It looks like the info for 2018 models has been removed from that LG page.

Watching Disney+ on this TV is incredible! Dolby Vision (whatever that is) is awesome. My TV is up to date and i do have some image issues but they are massively outweighed by how awesome it looks most of the time (in my opinion.) I just leave it on default 'eco' settings and still looks good to me. (HDR mode i leave on standard default.)

The Pixar films look great even older ones like Monsters Inc and Bugs Life.

There are different Picture Mode sittings remembered for each of normal, HDR10, and DV content for each of the HDMIs and also for the apps so it can take a while if you want to change settings as you have to repeat this for each sort of content for each source. A quick way to get started is to try ISF expert for standard content and Cinema for HDR10 and DV films.

Or just leave it all on 100% default settings. It looks good. I try not to get caught up in all that and just enjoy watching. *shrug*

I’m looking for the best picture settings for the following variants: Dolby Vision for Netflix, HDR for Amazon Prime (are these the same/similar?). Also as I watch SD and HD via Sky Q the best settings for those 2 please.

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Settings

Dolby Vision (Amazon Prime TV App - Jack Ryan)
Dolby Vision HDR Picture Mode: Cinema Home (User)
Picture Mode Settings
OLED Light: 50
Contrast: 100
Brightness: 51 (Black credits on Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime App)
Sharpness: 10
Colour: 50
Tint: 0
Expert Controls
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Super Resolution: Off
Picture Options
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Motion Eye Care: Off
TruMotion: Off

HDR10 (Amazon Prime TV App - The Grand Tour)
HLG (YouTube TV App - Tokyo, Light Trail)
HDR Picture Mode: Cinema (User)
Picture Mode Settings
OLED Light: 100
Brightness: 49 (LG 4K DEMO HDR 2018 (60FPS) OLED PERFECT BLACK on the YouTube App)
Expert Controls
Dynamic Contrast: High
Dynamic Tone Mapping: On
Colour Gamut: Auto
Picture Options

High Dynamic Range (HDR) Settings

Dolby Vision (Amazon Prime TV App - Jack Ryan)
Dolby Vision HDR Picture Mode: Cinema Home (User)
Picture Mode Settings
OLED Light: 50
Brightness: 51 (Black credits on Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime App)
Expert Controls
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Picture Options

HDR10 (Amazon Prime TV App - The Grand Tour)
HLG (YouTube TV App - Tokyo, Light Trail)
HDR Picture Mode: Cinema (User)
Picture Mode Settings
OLED Light: 100
Brightness: 49 (LG 4K DEMO HDR 2018 (60FPS) OLED PERFECT BLACK on the YouTube App)
Expert Controls
Dynamic Contrast: High
Dynamic Tone Mapping: On
Colour Gamut: Auto
Picture Options
Thanks dude 👍 should these settings apply to SD/HD on Sky?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom