LG B8 OLED TV - Owners and Discussion Thread

Just because you see every bar flashing on a black clipping pattern doesn't really tell you if they are also displayed at the correct luminance. The low-end on LG oleds can vary quite a bit and can be either too dark or too bright...

Just because you see every bar flashing on a black clipping pattern doesn't really tell you if they are also displayed at the correct luminance. The low-end on LG oleds can vary quite a bit and can be either too dark or too bright...
Yeah sometimes I feel like dropping brightness by 1 to 49 overall looks better but too many of the small dark details are lost that i wish it went in smaller increments. Sorta how for some content i like the look of gamma BT1886 in SDR but use 2.2, ideally i'd prefer it somewhere in between.

One click of brightness is often already too much...
In the service menu one can adjust brightness at a more sensitive level. One click of sub-brightness is like 1/3 regular brightness. I find it really strange that LG didn't implement this finer brightness control in the regular user menu....

Hi all. My B8 normally has the nice picture framed effect/paintings when I first turn it on, and it has suddenly started just having a black screen instead. You wouldn't even know it was on until you select the home button for the apps. Anyone know why it's disappeared and how to get it back?

Hi all. My B8 normally has the nice picture framed effect/paintings when I first turn it on, and it has suddenly started just having a black screen instead. You wouldn't even know it was on until you select the home button for the apps. Anyone know why it's disappeared and how to get it back?

There's a setting under 'General' for 'no signal image' and it sounds like you have set this to off.

Hello,

I have a LG-OLED65B8SLC, bought a few months ago. I have sound via ARC to a Harman Kardon SB20. It seems that on all UHD/4k content on Netflix/Prime the sound cuts in and out while playing - sounds like a crackling at any volume (makes it feel like only the background music cuts out, not the voices but I might be wrong). I could swear that I saw another thread on this somewhere, but cannot find it now.
Anything else plays just fine.

Have other people had these type of issues? Is there anything I can do?

Hello,

I have a LG-OLED65B8SLC, bought a few months ago. I have sound via ARC to a Harman Kardon SB20. It seems that on all UHD/4k content on Netflix/Prime the sound cuts in and out while playing - sounds like a crackling at any volume (makes it feel like only the background music cuts out, not the voices but I might be wrong). I could swear that I saw another thread on this somewhere, but cannot find it now.

I had the same problem using ARC with Prime & Vudu built in apps. It only happened on UHD content with Atmos sound tracks, not regular 2.0 or 5.1.

Somewhere on this thread someone suggested unplugging the TV for 5-10 minutes. It worked for me!

The problem has reoccured a couple of times and unplugging the TV has worked so far.

Hello,

I’ve had no such issues at all with mine.
The only benefit to using ARC over HDMI in place of Toslink is Atmos and DD+ support, which you don’t need with the Harmon anyway, plus of course the fact you have one less cable to run from the OLED. Might be worth you just using Toslink instead?

I’ve had no such issues at all with mine.
The only benefit to using ARC over HDMI in place of Toslink is Atmos and DD+ support, which you don’t need with the Harmon anyway, plus of course the fact you have one less cable to run from the OLED. Might be worth you just using Toslink instead?
I like that I can just use the TV remote for volume. Would I be able to use the same with optical + hdmi ? (why do I also need the hdmi?)

I like that I can just use the TV remote for volume. Would I be able to use the same with optical + hdmi ? (why do I also need the hdmi?)
Yes you could continue to use the TV remote with optical. Assuming your sound bar uses an IR remote, you could use its IR codes with the TV remote. You would no longer need an HDMI cable if using an optical cable.
If you don’t already have an optical cable, don’t spend much on it as you won’t benefit.

So this morning during a thrilling episode of paw patrol I noticed what I thought was a fingerprint or dirty mark on my screen, turns out it isn’t and when looking closely you can see the pixels shifting about, any suggestions as to what to try first????
B7B91829-BB2A-43A3-9342-3119B5FD2E53.jpeg
3DF65801-1C3F-4DAA-B442-A59699094D4C.jpeg

So this morning during a thrilling episode of paw patrol I noticed what I thought was a fingerprint or dirty mark on my screen, turns out it isn’t and when looking closely you can see the pixels shifting about, any suggestions as to what to try first???? View attachment 1233657View attachment 1233658
Try some red, green and blue screens on YouTube to see if it's showing on all three of them, at first glance it looks like the screen has been hit, but it's very small in the picture

Try some red, green and blue screens on YouTube to see if it's showing on all three of them, at first glance it looks like the screen has been hit, but it's very small in the picture

Cheers, have tried what you have said, and nothing shows up on any of then those 3 colours, tried varying degrees of each just to be sure. Would that suggest impact damage do you think? Is it worth trying the pixel refresh thingy? Have never done it only let it do it’s normal ones at the end of 4 hrs plus viewing plus I think it must have had one main one it activated itself.

Ok, before you all laugh this Channel I have never watched before, switched up randomly to 615 Nick HD I think it's called, and it appears to be something within the channel, it doesnt show on anything else! Someone else is welcome to check their B8 on this sky channel to verify, all very amusing of course. But at least that slightly sick feeling has gone now and I don't have to put the family through hell after school!! :facepalm:

Anyone know if there’s an easy way to get the FandangoNow app onto my LG at all, have smartdns for my apple tv so thought it might be as simple as changing that on the tv, clearly not! Unless I’ve missed something of course.

Anyone know if there’s an easy way to get the FandangoNow app onto my LG at all, have smartdns for my apple tv so thought it might be as simple as changing that on the tv, clearly not! Unless I’ve missed something of course.
If it's not in the app store you would not be able to install it, I don't know if the app store is the same for each region, so if that app is available in another region you maybe able to trick it by changing the TV location?

The app store does vary for each region. I installed DAZN by setting the region to Spain and Disney plus by setting it to Netherlands. Once the apps are installed, stick it back to UK and the apps will still open as normal from the home screen.

Just had my 65B8 for a few days and at first glance I can't see an obvious DLNA app for playback of movies from my DiskStation.

I'd appreciate some advice as to whether one exists and what should I be looking for?

Sorry forget that I just found it in the obvious place "Photo and Video" . :blush:

Last edited:
Just had my 65B8 for a few days and at first glance I can't see an obvious DLNA app for playback of movies from my DiskStation.
Lot of guys use Emby, it requires the server program on the PC as well.

I'd appreciate some advice as to whether one exists and what should I be looking for?

Sorry forget that I just found it in the obvious place "Photo and Video" . :blush:
I use the photo and video app that you have found, it supports 4k hdr files with 5.1 sound, one thing to note is that you will need setup all the picture settings again as it sees this video player as another input and does not carry the settings over from other inputs.

I use the photo and video app that you have found, it supports 4k hdr files with 5.1 sound, one thing to note is that you will need setup all the picture settings again as it sees this video player as another input and does not carry the settings over from other inputs.
Thanks, I saved a bit of time after setting up HDMI 4 for the Sky box by applying its Expert Dark Room settings to all inputs, so all I had to do this time was change over from Eco mode to Expert dark.

LG OLED65B8PLA

Does anyone know if there is a discrete harmony code for switching the hdmi input to PC mode? I have my PC hooked up and need the input lag reduction/chroma but going through 4 different menus to get to it every time is getting tedious!

Thanks

I've read that the Apple TV App is likely to come to the LG B8 quite soon. Is this likely to require a firmware update, or will the App just appear in the App store at some point?

Ok, before you all laugh this Channel I have never watched before, switched up randomly to 615 Nick HD I think it's called, and it appears to be something within the channel, it doesnt show on anything else! Someone else is welcome to check their B8 on this sky channel to verify, all very amusing of course. But at least that slightly sick feeling has gone now and I don't have to put the family through hell after school!! :facepalm:

Awesome! I can't test but this did make me laugh :)

Hi all.. my LG b8 has recently developed a vertical dark line. Its slightly angled & shows up when watching football & dark scenes. I ran the pixel refresher last night & it seems to have gone. I thought it may be image retention but im not sure. Strange place to get image retention. I do game quite a bit but am pretty careful with static images. Anyone had the same issue?

Attachments

• IMG_20200202_004251.jpg
    IMG_20200202_004251.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20200202_002421.jpg
    IMG_20200202_002421.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20200202_002419.jpg
    IMG_20200202_002419.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20191110_202121.jpg
    IMG_20191110_202121.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 90

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom