Quantcast

LG B8 OLED - Owners and Discussion Thread

j5000

I have had my B8 for just over a year and always turn it fully off after nightly viewing, and allow it to do its cycle. I have recently been greeted by the message (3 times in the last week alone after not seeing it at all in the previous year) that the TV needs to turn off and do a pixel refresh in order to keep the PQ at its best. I am currently using the TV more often than usual playing a few hours daily of Horizon Zero Dawn. Is this extra viewing time contributing to the message appearing, or is this a warning sign my screen is dying? I'm asking because I have just recently declined the extra LG coverage after the initial year warrantee.

iangreasby

I have had my B8 for just over a year and always turn it fully off after nightly viewing, and allow it to do its cycle. I have recently been greeted by the message (3 times in the last week alone after not seeing it at all in the previous year) that the TV needs to turn off and do a pixel refresh in order to keep the PQ at its best. I am currently using the TV more often than usual playing a few hours daily of Horizon Zero Dawn. Is this extra viewing time contributing to the message appearing, or is this a warning sign my screen is dying? I'm asking because I have just recently declined the extra LG coverage after the initial year warrantee.
If you are turning your TV off at the mains, then this is the reason you are getting the message. You just need to put your TV into standby mode each night and the pixel refresh will happen automatically every so often. You should also check within "Settings/OLED panel settings" that you have enabled the top option "start pixel refresh when TV is turned off".

j5000

Ahhh... I definitely have that option checked, I just need to get out of the nightly habit of telling Alexa to turn off the lounge TV (wall plug) and using the remote more.

logiclee

Ahhh... I definitely have that option checked, I just need to get out of the nightly habit of telling Alexa to turn off the lounge TV (wall plug) and using the remote more.
Just get rid of the Alexa plug. Your TV should be in standby every night.

Just killing the power to the TV is never a good idea and certainly not on TV's that require compensation cycles.

knack

Standard Member
Hi all, turned on tv tonight and disappointed to see a white vertical line on the right half of the screen. It extends from top to bottom, is thinner at the bottom, is visible on all sources and when I look close up appears to be stuck pixels. I’ve attached a couple of pictures which show this. The second picture makes it look thicker than it is. Any thoughts? Thanks
EDIT: I have just run pixel refresher and have some extra info. I’m sure others are familiar with how this process works but after 1hr the tv turned on, a message advised pixel refresh in progress and a horizontal white line moved from top to bottom. At this point the vertical line was not present. Pixel refresher then finished and the vertical line reappeared. Appreciate any assistance.
6DC0028D-6E4B-4BE3-AA56-38C62BB0D765.jpeg
0B0965DA-EC7E-42E2-9C6E-42834465C2F4.jpeg

Last edited:

Newton John

Novice Member
Hi.

My B8 is connected to a Linn DSM by HDMI ARC. This works really well with TV remote switching DSM on and off and controlling volume.

However, I have the minor irritation that the audio setting of the TV changes spontaneously to internal speaker and I have to go in to correct this. Is there any way I can lock the settings to prevent this? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

MonkeyBoy

Hi.

My B8 is connected to a Linn DSM by HDMI ARC. This works really well with TV remote switching DSM on and off and controlling volume.

However, I have the minor irritation that the audio setting of the TV changes spontaneously to internal speaker and I have to go in to correct this. Is there any way I can lock the settings to prevent this? Any advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Some people reported that powering off the amp and TV from the mains for 30secs, sometimes fixed strange Arc issues

Delore

Hi.

The same thing happens with my B8 connected to a Pioneer AV Receiver. Usually if you just wait instead of going into the settings to switch manually it will go back to Arc audio on it's own. Have a Yamaha AVR arriving today, i'm hoping that with it having more modern HDMI specs it won't have the same issue but i'm not holding my breath.

iangreasby

The same thing happens with my B8 connected to a Pioneer AV Receiver. Usually if you just wait instead of going into the settings to switch manually it will go back to Arc audio on it's own. Have a Yamaha AVR arriving today, i'm hoping that with it having more modern HDMI specs it won't have the same issue but i'm not holding my breath.
My B8 does this too with Pioneer AVR, but only when switching it on, not during viewing via a particular source. I think I read somewhere that the only solution is to disable ARC.

Bigpants2k

New firmware has been released I think, 5.10.40. Anybody had a chance to install it yet?

Bigpants2k

Hmm.
.35 was pulled. Do you think just add this HEVC logo?
thanks

MarkNorton1

Not sure which forum to ask this on so thought I’d start on my TV one! Has anyone else picked up The Watchmen ultimate cut 4k via iTunes on the Apple TV 4K? Clearly I hVe but just not blown away and find the image quite noisy if that’s the right word, someone else might describe it better but 40
minutes in and most scenes including actors faces etc are noisy/shimmering and backgrounds are even worse, just wondering if it’s an obvious setting I have wrong on either tv or Apple TV? Tv in DV picture mode and from memory settings are pretty much as per rtings, Apple TV is set to 4K SDR with both match frame/dynamic on. Cheers.

Steve Webb

chros

Hi all, turned on tv tonight and disappointed to see a white vertical line on the right half of the screen. It extends from top to bottom, is thinner at the bottom, is visible on all sources and when I look close up appears to be stuck pixels. I’ve attached a couple of pictures which show this. The second picture makes it look thicker than it is. Any thoughts? Thanks
EDIT: I have just run pixel refresher and have some extra info. I’m sure others are familiar with how this process works but after 1hr the tv turned on, a message advised pixel refresh in progress and a horizontal white line moved from top to bottom. At this point the vertical line was not present. Pixel refresher then finished and the vertical line reappeared. Appreciate any assistance.
Unfortunately it can happen, and it's a warranty issue. Others had it as well.

Frost90

What's the correct HDR setting for Xbox One X? When I select 4:2:2 there's a lot of banding, for example in the sky and the headlights, the taillights in Forza Horizon 4. Bit-depth is set to 8-bit. I've read that the Xbox One will switch automatically to 10-bit/12-bit for HDR. Why there's banding with 4:2:2, with 4:2:0 it's fine? I thought that LG OLED tvs can process 12-bit 4:2:2 signal correctly...

Klovnious

Novice Member
Hi,

I own a fabulous 65" B8.
What sort of speed are you guys getting on wired and wireless network connections?
I am getting quite poor speeds on wireless, and only 90\90 on wired network. I also getting very high ping, ranging from 200ms to over 400ms. Not sure what can cause this. Any thoughts?

netgeo

Novice Member
Hi,

I own a fabulous 65" B8.
What sort of speed are you guys getting on wired and wireless network connections?
I am getting quite poor speeds on wireless, and only 90\90 on wired network. I also getting very high ping, ranging from 200ms to over 400ms. Not sure what can cause this. Any thoughts?
Are you connecting to a 5ghz wifi or 2.4? I had problems with the 5ghz and switched to 2.4ghz. No issues after that...

Steve Webb

There was an update to the Amazon Video app this week, since then I'm having trouble streaming on my 65"B8. Anyone else having issues?
I have the same OLED and the app is working fine on mine - tested with Lemans to check HDR and all good.

MonkeyBoy

There was an update to the Amazon Video app this week, since then I'm having trouble streaming on my 65"B8. Anyone else having issues?
Mine is working fine after the update, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app

Delore

Watching the new season of The Expanse on Amazon (definitely the UHD HDR version) and noticing that the blacks are a bit washed out in some of the space shots. Not sure whether it's my TV or the show itself, chucked on 2001: A space odyssey to double check and skipped to the space shots and it doesn't look as black as i remember either but maybe i'm just not remembering right.

Ran the test patterns for SDR and HDR, all the numbers that are supposed to flash or be invisible are as they should be.

Edit - weird, turned it off to nip out to the shop and when i turn it back on suddenly it looks as it should. Went back and checked the same scenes and they are now inky black again.

Last edited: