LG B8 OLED - Owners and Discussion Thread

Raidevita

I’ve attached several images. You can just make out the IR receiver that comes with it hanging. I have my strip set to 10% light output. You’ll notice that it’s barely visible when the ceiling lights are on.
Ok thanks for the photos. Was it easy to apply round the corners?

Webbserver

Ok thanks for the photos. Was it easy to apply round the corners?
Yeah, really easy. These strips are designed for this purpose and extremely well made. The key difference between this strip and most others on the market, is the colour temperature D65 and the fact it maintains D65 regardless of how bright you set it. I guess you get what you pay for as I purchased a cheaper LED strip for my son’s room and the white colour temperature gets warmer as you decrease the brightness - fine for him but not so good as an ambient light for a TV.

Raidevita

Yeah, really easy. These strips are designed for this purpose and extremely well made. The key difference between this strip and most others on the market, is the colour temperature D65 and the fact it maintains D65 regardless of how bright you set it. I guess you get what you pay for as I purchased a cheaper LED strip for my son’s room and the white colour temperature gets warmer as you decrease the brightness - fine for him but not so good as an ambient light for a TV.
Ok thanks for the advice. My TV is in a corner and not wall mounted. It's about 50cm away from the wall Do you think this product would work well with my set up?

Webbserver

Yeah it would still work, you might just need to turn the brightness up a little.

Techaddicted

Standard Member
Hello, gents. Greetings from Ukraine.

Today my B8 received updated FW 05.30.02 - with AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support!!! Finalllllyyyy!

Updated without any problem. AirPlay works as it should!

Happy for now.)

Webbserver

Nothing on mine yet.

RDowson

Standard Member
Still waiting on mine updating.
Any update on EARC? I know I’m being optimistic!

Webbserver

Still waiting on mine updating.
Any update on EARC? I know I’m being optimistic!
Not possible unfortunately, as the 8 series hardware doesn’t support it.

Webbserver

It technically does. They just can’t be bothered implementing it. Other manufacturers have though.
Really? I didn’t think it was possible with HDMI 2.0?

Webbserver

Quote from WhatHifi....

"Some 2019 and 2020 TVs from Panasonic, Samsung or Sony are only HDMI 2.0 certified yet they claim to be able to support some HDMI 2.1 features such as VRR and eARC. The odd model range, such as the Sony 8K Z8H and 4K X900H (XH90) is HDMI 2.1 certified"
Sorry but I’d rather trust a Currys sales assistant than What Hifi - they talk absolute tosh most of the time! Further investigation seems to suggest that EARC is only supported on a select few HDMI 2.0b inputs depending on the chipsets used, but not on the HDMI 2.0a that is on the B8.

RDowson

Standard Member
Sorry but I’d rather trust a Currys sales assistant than What Hifi - they talk absolute tosh most of the time! Further investigation seems to suggest that EARC is only supported on a select few HDMI 2.0b inputs depending on the chipsets used, but not on the HDMI 2.0a that is on the B8.
So explain how the B8 supports HLG then?

Webbserver

I stand corrected, looks as though the B8 does have the HDMI 2.0b variant. Maybe the chipset used is one that doesn’t support eARC?

EditoMZ

Standard Member
There's no way to downgrade the firmware with LG if you are already on v5.x.x

Thanks for your reply, my issue is that I used a VPN and my TV upgraded with a version that I wasnºt supposed to have and now my wi-fi is messed up it connects but its very slow that´s why I want to know how to go back.

Even my 2016 LG television supports playback of 4K HLG (Hybrid Log-gamma) HDR content via the BBC iPlayer app...

The app in the TV? That’s not using HDMI.
Okay.... I've just managed to play a couple of '4K HLG HDR .m2ts' contained media files using my OPPO UDP-203 and my VU+ Uno 4K SE. Both playback devices are directly connected to my 2016 LG TV via HDMI ;)

Cheers

higher

Hello all. I'm on 05.10.50 and the tv is calibrated with autocal to get rid of the black crush issue. Would updating to latest firmware (Airplay, HomeKit) mess up the calibration? Thanks for any advice.

rpr

Question - The Apple + app on my 65" B8 is outputting in Dolby Vision but not Dolby Atmos?

scoobydoobydoo

The French Twitter feed seems to suggest the roll-out will commence on the 4th (today) so hoping its a matter of days now..

Really annoying, I know!

grogi

Hello, gents. Greetings from Ukraine.

Today my B8 received updated FW 05.30.02 - with AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support!!! Finalllllyyyy!

Updated without any problem. AirPlay works as it should!

Happy for now.)

There is 5.30.03 in the pipeline....

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Music revenue in U.S. sees vinyl sales overtake CD
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips TV to offer Mimi Sound Personalisation