LG B8 OLED - Owners and Discussion Thread

chros

Yes, because LG FAQd up the gamma on B8 and never fixed it.

mt1980

Question for fellow B8 owners. Why does this TV support Atmos when it cannot output Atmos and it only has 2 speakers? Or am I missing something.

Blue Flame

Yes it outputs Atmos from apps to the amp. I have found that HDMI control needs to be switched on before this happens though.

mt1980

Just tested it on Onward on the Disney app.
When using the internal speaker with Atmos enabled, the top right tag shows both Atmos and Vision.
When set back to HDMI arc sound to the amplifier the Atmos tag no longer shows. The amplifier displays Digital+, I have a Denon X3400H. I have never managed to see Atmos on the Denon using the inbuilt apps. It will show when connected to the Xbox one on Netflix.

Blue Flame

I was of the understanding that disney are not streaming atmos at the moment despite the tags. Have you tried streaming from the Netflix App on the TV?

Blue Flame

In fact no scratch that. I am getting Dolby Atmos on the amp from Disney plus playing back Hamilton.

mt1980

Just tried Hamilton, Atmos shows when using internal speaker. When using arc to the receiver I get Dolby digital+ on the display, strange.

iangreasby

Just tested it on Onward on the Disney app.
When using the internal speaker with Atmos enabled, the top right tag shows both Atmos and Vision.
When set back to HDMI arc sound to the amplifier the Atmos tag no longer shows. The amplifier displays Digital+, I have a Denon X3400H. I have never managed to see Atmos on the Denon using the inbuilt apps. It will show when connected to the Xbox one on Netflix.
Do you have the same problem when using the Netflix TV App, i.e unable to send Atmos to your AVR? I had the same problem initially but had to alter something within the sound settings on the B8.

Blue Flame

HDMI CEC (Simplink) has to be on and Sound Out set to HDMI ARC / Auto

iangreasby

I think you also have to enable "internal TV speakers" (even though you won't be using them) to be able to access "Dolby Atmos" setting, otherwise it is greyed out in the "off" position. Turn "Dolby Atmos" to "on", then go back and disable "internal TV speakers". You should then see "Dolby Atmos" is greyed out, but now in the "on" position.

stormlord

Time to move my B8 on its terribly dark especially since last update and in daytime viewing plus could do with something with VRR Freesync and ALLM for new consoles later this year.

mt1980

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've tried Netflix, no Atmos from there either. Simplink is on, HDMI is set to arc and auto. Tried turning on to internal speakers and back to get the Atmos option to show but no, still Dolby digital+ on the receiver. Could it be the HDMI cable in use?

iangreasby

Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've tried Netflix, no Atmos from there either. Simplink is on, HDMI is set to arc and auto. Tried turning on to internal speakers and back to get the Atmos option to show but no, still Dolby digital+ on the receiver. Could it be the HDMI cable in use?
Is Atmos setting greyed out (in TV settings) and in off or on position? I doubt it will be a cable issue. I assume you have the top tier Netflix package?

Blue Flame

Just another thought. Have you switched hdmi CEC control on on both the amp as well as the TV?

mt1980

It's greyed out but in the on position. You can only toggle it when internal speaker is set.
Top tier package yes and tried CEC control both on and off on the receiver with the same results.

iangreasby

It's greyed out but in the on position. You can only toggle it when internal speaker is set.
Top tier package yes and tried CEC control both on and off on the receiver with the same results.
And your Denon is connected to HDMI 2 (ARC) on the LG B8?

iangreasby

When you select something on Netflix that has Atmos (e.g The Punisher), does the Netflix flag in top left say "Vision.Atmos"?