LG B8 OLED - Owners and Discussion Thread

Raidevita

PS4 owner here (with a B8)
Ok cool. I've been playing with the settings for gaming, in particular HDR. I know it's not the done thing to turn on enhancements in the settings. But..after watching a particular YouTube video on best hdr PS4 lgb8 settings, ive now turned on dynamic contrast & dynamic lighting to high, and to be honest, i think it makes the games look better in HDR & non HDR. On the same video, the guy added HDR effect to non HDR games & they also looked great. The games look dull after going back to my original settings Maybe I've got it wrong all this time. 😁
Can you have a play & see what you think? A good game to try it on is Rise of the tomb raider. Try it with game settings & then HDR effect.

NatTheGooner

Ok cool. I've been playing with the settings for gaming, in particular HDR. I know it's not the done thing to turn on enhancements in the settings. But..after watching a particular YouTube video on best hdr PS4 lgb8 settings, ive now turned on dynamic contrast & dynamic lighting to high, and to be honest, i think it makes the games look better in HDR & non HDR. On the same video, the guy added HDR effect to non HDR games & they also looked great. The games look dull after going back to my original settings Maybe I've got it wrong all this time. 😁
Can you have a play & see what you think? A good game to try it on is Rise of the tomb raider. Try it with game settings & then HDR effect.
Game mode gives you fastest response time at the expense of picture “enhancements”. I don’t know how turning on these features will effect picture lag - it’s a trade off. I had a similar thing the other day when I compared a Blu-ray movie on PS4 to the Apple TV version, the PS4 looked cold and nasty compared to the ATV but it was only later that I remembered the PS4 input is always in Game Mode so that was the problem. I’ll have a look tomorrow with RDR2 👍

NatTheGooner

So I had a look and my preference would be to stay in Game Mode for the speed benefit but adjust the gamma, OLED Light, colour temp, contrast etc to get the picture that looks good to your eye (but stay in game mode) HDR effect takes you out of game mode and your gameplay would suffer a bit with the extra lag.

Raidevita

So I had a look and my preference would be to stay in Game Mode for the speed benefit but adjust the gamma, OLED Light, colour temp, contrast etc to get the picture that looks good to your eye (but stay in game mode) HDR effect takes you out of game mode and your gameplay would suffer a bit with the extra lag.
Ok. Did you try with dynamic contrast & colour on high? With & without HDR.

no1livz4ever

Standard Member
SDR ISF dark - Gama 2.4, brightness 54
SDR ISF bright - gama 2.2, brightness 53
DoVi - brightness 52
HDR - brightness 50
Fw 5.10.50
Sharpness 0, Colour 52 in SDR modes

Raidevita

Load up the AVS HD 709 Flashing Colour Bars on YouTube, turn on the Blue Colour Filter under Expert Controls the change the setting so that the boxes don't flash or flash the smallests amount, in the old days I used my THX blue filter glasses for this as it does the same job as the filter, I have checked these setting using the glasses as well and came up with the same result, so I am happy the filter works the same.
Hi I was having a go using this filter. Can I confirm I don't need glasses? The boxes seem to flash all the time regardless of settings. From 50 to 54, it seems to flash the same. Am I doing something wrong?

MonkeyBoy

Hi I was having a go using this filter. Can I confirm I don't need glasses? The boxes seem to flash all the time regardless of settings. From 50 to 54, it seems to flash the same. Am I doing something wrong?
Are you turning on the blue filter option, if you are it sounds like you are doing it right, when I did it I had a completely dark room and I was right up next to the screen, you should see the hue boxes also stop flashing.

You could also try downloading the AVS HD 709 files and running them from USB, that may help.

Raidevita

Which AVS
Are you turning on the blue filter option, if you are it sounds like you are doing it right, when I did it I had a completely dark room and I was right up next to the screen, you should see the hue boxes also stop flashing.

You could also try downloading the AVS HD 709 files and running them from USB, that may help.
Ok cheers. Am I using the correct AVS pattern? Which one am I supposed to use? The boxes are always flashing when I try it.

MonkeyBoy

Which AVS
Ok cheers. Am I using the correct AVS pattern? Which one am I supposed to use? The boxes are always flashing when I try it.
AVS HD 709 Flashing Colour Bars, on mine there is a line around the edges of the box that keep flashing, but the inside of the box matches the strip of blue.

20200523_223023.jpg20200523_223022.jpg

Hopefully you can see in the pictures is flases between having lines around the boxes to no boxes about every second not sure I can explain it any better.

Dougal 22

Standard Member
I’m probably missing something very obvious, but when streaming Amazon Prime video on my B8 through the internal App, how do I see video resolution and HDR format information? It is easy to access this on the Netflix App .....

dannius

I’m probably missing something very obvious, but when streaming Amazon Prime video on my B8 through the internal App, how do I see video resolution and HDR format information? It is easy to access this on the Netflix App .....
I'm not in front of mine at the moment but i'm pretty sure if you pause it, it shows you on the bottom left of the screen.

Josemadir

[QUOTE = "LosAngelesDad, publicación: 28010465, miembro: 861304"]
Esperando que todos puedan ayudarme. Mi B8 está ejecutando 05.10.50. No estoy seguro de cuándo se instaló, ya que tengo habilitadas las actualizaciones automáticas.

Por alguna razón durante las últimas 2 semanas, mi WiFi ha estado fallando. Si entro en la configuración de red y vuelvo a conectar el wifi, se mostrará brevemente conectado, pero cuando entre en Netflix o lo que sea, la conexión se ha interrumpido. Ocasionalmente funcionará durante algunas horas pero a una tasa de bits muy baja. Desde anoche no puedo conseguir nada para trabajar. He desconectado la televisión, revisé todos los ajustes que se me ocurren (excepto el restablecimiento de fábrica). Antes de que todo estuviera bien, podía transmitir contenido 4K sin problemas.

Vi en otros sitios que necesito ingresar a la aplicación Screen Share y desactivar el modo de audición. Sin embargo, no tengo esa opción. Solo hay 2 opciones en esa aplicación: Eliminar el historial de emparejamiento y la Guía de conexión. ¿Cómo puedo desactivar o eliminar esta aplicación?

¿Alguien más ha empeorado sus problemas de wifi después de la actualización 05.10.50?
[/ CITAR]

Sorry for my English, it is translated from Spanish with the google translator.

I have also had wifi issues since update 05.10.50, now I am unable to connect to my 5g network and have to connect to 2.4g. (changed the channel of the wifi 5g and it seems that now it connects)

In addition to the problems with the wifi since the update of the TV is blocked, the application with which I freeze, usually happens to me with YouTube, Netflix, TV ...

Tomorrow I will call the technical service to tell me.

Does anyone know if it can downgrade to a previous version?

chros

There's no way to downgrade the firmware with LG if you are already on v5.x.x

Dougal 22

Standard Member
Thanks for replying dannius... I remember this used to be the case, but now all I get is the x-ray information? Does anyone know if I can turn this feature off, and re instate the streaming info...
I'm not in front of mine at the moment but i'm pretty sure if you pause it, it shows you on the bottom left of the screen.

AntBanks

Hi all
Haven't been on the forums for a very long time since deciding to change from Samsung rubbish to LG OLED....I have been very lucky with my 55B8 since Christmas 2018 when i purchased it with no issues whatsoever.
But last night i noticed a flickering when i was on the Plex menus, so i tested with other things on screen and it would do the same...mainly on darker images...Amazon menu which is dark blue...The BBC iplayer did it...and the menus on my Virgin Media V6 menus too, .this flashing/flickering is also effecting the TV menus.
I could not see it in actual programs or watching movies though.. I also noticed if i changed the picture setting to vivid it would stop...

I do know about the strobing in dark scenes that have plagued this TV before but i have never had this issue...Now....i though i would check the brightness and the slider made no adjustment to the picture in either direction...This seriously annoyed me as i had a very bad issue with my previous Samsung with Brightness and it not working...So..i unplugged the TV for a couple of minutes and tried it again and Brightness worked but turned the tv on this morning the the slider no longer shows any change on the screen again but at the moment there is no flickering...

I have checked all my settings in case any ECO or motion settings were turned on and everything is as it should be...

Has anyone had similar issues and if so give me any idea as to why the Brightness slider does not have any effect on the picture ...unless i unplug the tv for a couple of mins and try it again. This brings back nightmares with my Samsung before this TV

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Ant

MonkeyBoy

Hi all
Haven't been on the forums for a very long time since deciding to change from Samsung rubbish to LG OLED....I have been very lucky with my 55B8 since Christmas 2018 when i purchased it with no issues whatsoever.
But last night i noticed a flickering when i was on the Plex menus, so i tested with other things on screen and it would do the same...mainly on darker images...Amazon menu which is dark blue...The BBC iplayer did it...and the menus on my Virgin Media V6 menus too, .this flashing/flickering is also effecting the TV menus.
I could not see it in actual programs or watching movies though.. I also noticed if i changed the picture setting to vivid it would stop...

I do know about the strobing in dark scenes that have plagued this TV before but i have never had this issue...Now....i though i would check the brightness and the slider made no adjustment to the picture in either direction...This seriously annoyed me as i had a very bad issue with my previous Samsung with Brightness and it not working...So..i unplugged the TV for a couple of minutes and tried it again and Brightness worked but turned the tv on this morning the the slider no longer shows any change on the screen again but at the moment there is no flickering...

I have checked all my settings in case any ECO or motion settings were turned on and everything is as it should be...

Has anyone had similar issues and if so give me any idea as to why the Brightness slider does not have any effect on the picture ...unless i unplug the tv for a couple of mins and try it again. This brings back nightmares with my Samsung before this TV

Thanks in advance for any help guys.
Ant
If you are seeing this issue on the menus of the build in apps and TV menus, I would say you are having a fault with the TV, but if its just on devices you have plugged in, that maybe the HDMI cable at fault.

iangreasby

I can't remember ever being able to see the streaming info on the Amazon App. It's always just been resolution and SDR/HDR plus audio quality. Netflix gives the bitrate info but Amazon does not AFAIK.

simon128927

Can anyone help me with this one. After watching content on Netflix and turning the TV off when I come to use the TV the next day I turn my B8 on and press the Netflix button and the subtitles seem to automatically be turned on and I have to go up in the top left corner and turn them off in the settings. All the subtitle options are off in the actual TV settings..?

MonkeyBoy

Can anyone help me with this one. After watching content on Netflix and turning the TV off when I come to use the TV the next day I turn my B8 on and press the Netflix button and the subtitles seem to automatically be turned on and I have to go up in the top left corner and turn them off in the settings. All the subtitle options are off in the actual TV settings..?
I believe that with Netflix subtitles are account / profile related, so if I turn them on when using a different device (in my case a tablet) it will also turn them on in the TV app when I go back to it.

iangreasby

Not sure if it would cause this particular issue, but you should make sure to exit the Netflix App when you finish watching, i.e not just back out from it.

paul211b

Can someone help me please with my settings.
I watch netflix all the time but never get HDR or Dolby Vision appearing well the TV does not tell me i am using it. What material can i use to check?

thanks