LG B8 OLED - Owners and Discussion Thread

Raidevita

If anyone gets a chance, can you watch revenge of the sith on Disney plus. The black crush is extremely evident throughout this movie.

Dazadams06

Novice Member
If anyone gets a chance, can you watch revenge of the sith on Disney plus. The black crush is extremely evident throughout this movie.
Unfortunately we're not getting proper 4k dolby vision yet on disney plus or most other streaming services atm so difficult to judge.

Raidevita

Unfortunately we're not getting proper 4k dolby vision yet on disney plus or most other streaming services atm so difficult to judge.
Sorry I meant from a normal black level/crush perspective. It was the worst I've seen for having to increase brightness etc.

Alfa 1971

Standard Member
Hi all. I've just had an OTA update to 05.10.50 on my B8 65.i now have a preffered sky, skin tone, grass colour option, I've no idea what else, however I've found the picture to be much sharper since the update, very pleasing.

AndyThorn

Does anyone know if LG have changed the server used for updates etc? I previously had a couple of sites blocked to prevent the update prompt (holding on to 4.10.25) but the past couple of days the prompt is back. Its an almost certainty the wife or kids will hit ok at some point!

Glen1977

Where exactly do I find what version of software I’m currently running as I’ve looked everywhere within the settings and just can’t see it!!!

AndyThorn

Where exactly do I find what version of software I’m currently running as I’ve looked everywhere within the settings and just can’t see it!!!
I'm not in front of the TV at the minute, but from memory it is general settings and then 'About TV' there should be a software version next to the check for updates button.

AndyThorn

Strangely I have no ‘about this tv’ option in ‘general’?
Have you scrolled right down? Its below 'Reset to initial settings'

Glen1977

Hi all. I've just had an OTA update to 05.10.50 on my B8 65.i now have a preffered sky, skin tone, grass colour option, I've no idea what else, however I've found the picture to be much sharper since the update, very pleasing.
I’m on the same update where would I find these options you’ve mentioned above?

Raidevita

Quick question for you all. Due to the obvious problems most of us are having with black crush & black levels, is it better to use 2.2 gamma instead of 2.4 for dark room viewing? I usually use 2.2 ISF brightness during the day & 2.4 ISF dark in the evening. I've noticed that I'm having to use the daytime setting a lot more in the evening recently. Even after some basic calibration.

Raidevita

Playing rise of the tomb raider on PS4 pro, I've noticed something which I hadn't seen before. Normally i wouldn't use anything gimmicky. Because I'm used to HDR content looking so good & bright nowadays. I find the SDR PS4 games look a tad dull. So after messing around with the settings I decided to try out HDR effect preset instead of game preset. The game was transformed. It may not be the done thing, but to my eyes, It now looks a lot more vibrant, and basically better. Anyone else tried this preset on the PS4? Id be interested to hear some views on this matter.

Hoping you all can help me out. My B8 is running 05.10.50. Not sure when that got installed since I have automatic updates enabled.

For some reason for the past 2 weeks my WiFi has been crapping out. If I go into Network settings and reconnect the wifi, it will briefly show connected, but by the time I go into Netflix or whatever, the connection has died. Occasionally it will work for a few hours but at a very low bitrate. Since last night I can't get anything to work. Have unplugged tv, gone through every setting I can think of (except factory reset). Before this everything was fine I could stream 4K content no problem.

I saw on some other sites that I need to go into the Screen Share app and turn off listening mode. However I don't have that option. There is only 2 options in that app - Delete Pairing History and Connection Guide. How can I disable or delete this app?

Has anyone else had their wifi problems get worse after the 05.10.50 update?

dannius

Hoping you all can help me out. My B8 is running 05.10.50. Not sure when that got installed since I have automatic updates enabled.

For some reason for the past 2 weeks my WiFi has been crapping out. If I go into Network settings and reconnect the wifi, it will briefly show connected, but by the time I go into Netflix or whatever, the connection has died. Occasionally it will work for a few hours but at a very low bitrate. Since last night I can't get anything to work. Have unplugged tv, gone through every setting I can think of (except factory reset). Before this everything was fine I could stream 4K content no problem.

I saw on some other sites that I need to go into the Screen Share app and turn off listening mode. However I don't have that option. There is only 2 options in that app - Delete Pairing History and Connection Guide. How can I disable or delete this app?

Has anyone else had their wifi problems get worse after the 05.10.50 update?
Could it be anything else which is causing your WiFi issues? I recently had to change the channel on my router. My neighbours recently had a new internet service installed with boosters all over their house and i'd subsequently had connection drop outs. I changed my channel and *touch wood* it appears ok since.

I also have the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks separated as when they were combined I had issues with streaming.

Could it be anything else which is causing your WiFi issues? I recently had to change the channel on my router. My neighbours recently had a new internet service installed with boosters all over their house and i'd subsequently had connection drop outs. I changed my channel and *touch wood* it appears ok since.

I also have the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks separated as when they were combined I had issues with streaming.
Thanks, that did the trick. Now that you mention it there does seem to be a few new WiFi networks appearing in the list. I switched to channel 11 and I am back in action.

Dougal 22

Standard Member
Quick question for you all. Due to the obvious problems most of us are having with black crush & black levels, is it better to use 2.2 gamma instead of 2.4 for dark room viewing? I usually use 2.2 ISF brightness during the day & 2.4 ISF dark in the evening. I've noticed that I'm having to use the daytime setting a lot more in the evening recently. Even after some basic calibration.
Ditto.. I have also changed gamma to 2.2 for both isf settings recently, and find myself often preferring the bright setting in the evening...on another topic, although my B8 is great for 4K and HDR, and fine for HD, I am finding non HD channels such as Sony Movies, (which has some great films IMO) are very poor. I am coming from a 4kSony LED and found the upscaling better... can anyone confirm if upscaling from non HD sources is better on the Sony Oled models than the B8?

Raidevita

Ditto.. I have also changed gamma to 2.2 for both isf settings recently, and find myself often preferring the bright setting in the evening...on another topic, although my B8 is great for 4K and HDR, and fine for HD, I am finding non HD channels such as Sony Movies, (which has some great films IMO) are very poor. I am coming from a 4kSony LED and found the upscaling better... can anyone confirm if upscaling from non HD sources is better on the Sony Oled models than the B8?
Can you try something out for me? Are you a PS4 gamer?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett