Question LG B8 65 tint - would you return?

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by SteHam, Jan 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. SteHam

SteHam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi

Just wanted an opinion on returning this? I got it Friday from JL and today noticed these issues. It seems quite severe?

The banding I think I could live as not at all noticeable in content, but interested in views on the tint issue please. If I ask for a replacement do you think I'm likely to get a better one? It shows up in overcast skies (blues are fine) and in white screens although football is fine as is most varied content.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,367
    Yep that’s shocking

3. furryhobnob

furryhobnob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,178
    Yep I'd get that swapped if it were mine

4. NM2160

NM2160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,401
    The tint looks really bad imo & I'm pretty sure that it won't fade over time either.

If I was in your position I would want it exhanged.

5. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,367
    That screen looks like it’s on LSD

6. gavcity

gavcity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    It is not even a consistent tint that could be calibrated out. I have a 65 B8 and yours simply isn't the same standard of telly as mine. Mine has little or no tint and is uniform. I'd say yours is faulty and needs to go back asap.

7. The Limey

The Limey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,605
    I returned 3 OLED panels that had that level of tint. That sort of tinting is completely unacceptable and needs to be returned as unacceptable. You will not enjoy OLED until you get a panel that does not resemble what you have posted on here.

8. Matsy

Matsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Most definitely, that's really bad.

9. SteHam

SteHam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks everyone for your help. I'll phone John Lewis tomorrow. Hopefully they will offer an exchange.

10. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Mine seems to have it to some degree but it's not even nearly as bad as the OP's. Mine depends on where you're viewing it from. There seems to be a reddish look from where I'm viewing it and the opposite side turns a little cyan looking. It doesn't really bother me but here's an example when viewed from the center and also the bottom left.

EDIT: Also, mines the 55" version though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  11. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,367
    From straight on that looks like quite good and very acceptable

12. SteHam

SteHam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes if I get a replacement that looks like yours I'll be very happy. Personally I would not swap as the risk is you get one far worse.

I think a bit of tint that gets worse off axis is far preferable to the washing out of VA LCDs would exhibit, but mine looks more like a manufacturing fault than a limitation of the technology.

13. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah yours does look a bit extreme unfortunately. I only really noticed white shifting slightly at an angle, whereas on other sets the skin tones and other colours shift a very noticeable amount even at a slight angle. I'm happy enough with mine, all screen technologies have their downsides and/or uniformity issues to some degree. OLED seems to look the best, with the only downside being the burn in risk, which I assume would only happen if you watch the same channel or play the same game every single day at maximum brightness.

14. SteHam

SteHam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I phoned John Lewis this morning. Advised of all of the checks I'd done and they advised to run the pixel refresher. Did that and no change, so called back and they agreed to replace it. Collect and exchange is on Saturday morning.

Really good customer service from JL so far so fingers crossed for the replacement.

15. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Obviously you know what it looks like in the flesh, and if you’re not happy you do right to send it back, but I was originally worried about tint and when I photographed it, it just made it look so much worse than it does when you’re infront of it, people said take it back when they saw pictures but honestly mine is actually ok (and I’m really REALLY picky).

I can tell you for sure that mines not the best C6 out there, but I got sick to death of swapping sets. Every set that I had had banding and tint to a certain degree.

16. SteHam

SteHam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, really fair point. I am pleased they're coming on Saturday as it gives me a few more days to assure it's really an issue. I'll cancel the RMA if I decide it's OK after all.

When I first turned on this evening the edges seemed right and the middle very blue. Now it's returned as per the photos above. Maybe it's my eyes! The right hand side does seem bad though and now I've picked it up it seems to be noticeable on yellow and green too which is an issue for the football.

Very interesting if you change the exposure by as little as 1/3rd stop on those photos I posted it looks pure white. There is definitely a degree of different cameras picking up different amounts of detail so you can't really compare the photos on here.

17. berkeley384

berkeley384

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    You’re absolutely right, don’t try and compare with pics from the Internet. Same goes for banding, with an SLR I can make my banding appear anything from almost non existent to horrific. Just trust in your own opinion, it’s really easy for people on here to say swap it over based on a photo. But IMO it’s not that cut and dry

18. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I had adjusted the exposure on my picture to make it basically look the same as what I was seeing, but I agree that some cameras don't pick them up properly at all. You can easily set the exposure too high and cause clipping in the image, meaning the screen is going to just look pure white. Since on yours it's even clearly noticeable on the football, it's definitely far more visible than mine. Mine looks fine and literally only has the slight reddish to blueish gradient from an angle. It's definitely not enough to bother me in the slightest.

19. SteHam

SteHam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah your pictures are well exposed. Some of the people claiming a 'perfect panel' in the main thread however... oh dear!

Yours is definitely a keeper to my eyes.

20. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'm over the moon with mine. I love the PQ, especially the nice colours and perfect blacks, then also the way I can actually play HDR games in real HDR, unlike the entry level 4k sets which claim to have it, such as LG's "HDR Pro". I love how the set even works perfectly with my OSSC so I can still play my retro games on it too. :)

I know it's still best to mix content, rather than play the same game or watch the same channel day in day out to avoid burn in. I've only seen very mild retention of a watermark on a grey test pattern so far after the set had been on all day, which faded away entirely within a day or 2.

One thing I want to ask, how often should I run pixel refresher? Is it ok to run it nightly (as in whenever I power off the set when I'm going to bed)? I'm just asking in case running it too often could do any harm or whether it's better to do so.

EDIT: Also yeah, that's clearly not the right way to do it, I doubt a "perfect panel" even exists.

21. CoolDust

CoolDust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    You shouldn't run pixel refresher ever in my opinion unless you notice something odd, the TV runs automatic "Pixel Refresher" while it's in standby mode known as compensation cycles after it accumulates 4 hours of the screen being switched on.

It doesn't matter if you watch two hours today and two hours tomorrow it will still run after 4 hours of cumulative on time. It takes about 6-7 minutes for the cycle to complete so it's best to always leave the set in standby when finished using for at least 10 minutes before switching it off at the wall. TV will also run a hour long Pixel Refresher after it clocks 1000 hours of use.

I don't think Pixel Refresher causes any real harm, otherwise I doubt LG would have the option there, but in my experience from owning 3 generations of OLED's using it always makes banding more apparent.

22. steocullen91

steocullen91

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Well I usually only use the one which runs once you power off the set, but if it just does it automatically then that's fine.