LG B7 vs Philips 55POS9002 (And should i upgrade..)

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by leebyron, Jul 16, 2018.

1. leebyron

leebyron
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi all,

I currently have a Samsung 55KS7000 that I bought about 18 months ago. I’m happy with it but recently found out I can get a full refund from Richer Sounds for it. I figured I may as well look at upgrading..

I’ve narrowed it down to 2 OLEDs, the LG B7 and the Philips 55POS9002. When I first looked the Philips was £1499 but today both are around £1199. I’d have to put about £300 to get either of these.

Firstly, which is the better option? I’ve looked at all the specs and can’t see much in it..

- I definitely like the Ambilight on the Philips
    - Apparently the Philips has better processing?
    - I do a lot of HDR gaming, the LG has lower input lag
    - The LG has Dolby Vision which the Philips doesn’t, will this be an issue?

Also, is it worth the upgrade over the KS7000, and having to put an extra £300?

Any advice/help would be great!

2. sagaris99

sagaris99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Arguably because of the price, better value for money is the LG. Better overall quality of tv, most futureproof, better OS, better HDR and upscaled picture etc,

Philips Ambilight is cool, will admit, but doesn’t really impact the picture quality. Paying for something just for the look there.

Processing - debatable. It’s all personal preference, but the Philips May have better motion processing and better low light movie performance, but reviewers favour the LG in general.

You’re right - 21.1ms is class leading, not sure what the Philips is but the LG also has the HDR game mode, which really impresses. (Also the multitude of picture modes and the ease to select them make the LG a joy to use)

I think you’d definitely appreciate the DV compliance from the get go - Netflix, Rakuten, Apple, Blu Ray, online content - all available in DV from the get go. If you game on XBOX, already DV support - looks awesome - with PS in the future. Not sure if the Philips supports Atmos as well, but whether or not you buy a sound bar now or the future, you’ll appreciate it too. Don’t forget the LG has the most HDR formats supported, including HLG and Technicolour.

KS7000 is a good set, but you wouldn’t regret the upgrade - definitely worth it for the £300. Word of advice though - Uk retailers now have their last shipments of B7s - which means that when they’re gone, they’re gone.

Any questions just shout !

3. Smiffy 2

Smiffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    I recently changed my KS7000 for an LG C7 (preferred the stand and the thin black bezel compared to the B7) and don't regret it one bit.
    The KS7000 was very good, but I get the itch to upgrade every 2 years or so, (which drives the missus mad lol!!) and after reading the reviews, and watching the price drop to what it is today, couldn't miss out on the opportunity to see what all the OLED fuss was.
    I am now seeing detail I missed before, and am re-watching the best of my disc collecting (both Blu ray and DVD) with renewed enthusiasm.
    The 4k discs that I have are amazing on the OLED.
    I must be honest, I had my doubts, especially when I watched my KS7000 the night before I was due to collect my new set.
    But a month in.....I'm chuffed. As is the wife!

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    You haven't given any info regarding your sources. Almost definitely if you are going to use Dolby Vision like with Netflix or Apple TV/UHD Blu-Rays then the LG is the better deal. It also has a faster OS and Dynamic Tone Mapping, something that will give better picture quality with HDR, particularly games.

If however your sources are going to include quite a bit of sport you may be a bit happier with the Philips motion processing, the LG is good at motion but I think from other user feedback the Philips is the better of the two and possibly the best OLED for motion.

Input lag I wouldn't worry about so much, anything below 50-60ms is fine for most people. Unless you know for a fact you are very sensitive then do not worry.

Last thing i'd say is you do get protection from distance selling regs in the UK if you buy, so whichever you choose you can always return it within a certain period if you are unhappy.