Answered LG B7, no sound from HDMI

Hi @jaxter,

If you're not doing so already, it's highly recommended that you use nothing but Premium certified HDMI leads between any device that support HDR.

All genuine 'Premium Certified' products should have a hologram to prevent counterfeiting: -

ccpLabel.png

For more information why your HDMI leads need to be 'Premium' certified look here: HDMI :: Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program :: FAQs

Plus, genuine Premium certified leads (with hologram) are not expensive!
capture-png.959815

pcsl-hdmi-leads-png.1002280

monoprice-png.1000137

Cheers

I have previously had it all working for several months using my existing cable and also have 3 other devices connected that are functioning perfectly, i will pick up a certified cable though just to be certain, thanks for your reply.

Just an update out of the blue it kicked in the other day, and I've been getting all sound formats over hdmi through the Marantz 7010, I'm happy again but I will think twice before doing a firmware update again.

I just picked up a UK7500 and got it a set up and working properly, stupidly tonight did a firmware update and now can't get 5.1 out of Netflix or Amazon. It's really weird that 5.1 works over arc on everything else except these 2 apps where I'm having to switch the arc output to pcm and it's only outputting 2.1 on that seeings. As I said Plex, live TV are both fine and coming through as dts or dolby it's seemingly just this 2 apps won't totr the amp in to Dolby digital mode.

I just picked up a UK7500 and got it a set up and working properly, stupidly tonight did a firmware update and now can't get 5.1 out of Netflix or Amazon. It's really weird that 5.1 works over arc on everything else except these 2 apps where I'm having to switch the arc output to pcm and it's only outputting 2.1 on that seeings. As I said Plex, live TV are both fine and coming through as dts or dolby it's seemingly just this 2 apps won't totr the amp in to Dolby digital mode.
So after a lot of tinkering it's definitely arc, the temporary fix I've stumbled on is optical. The settings to get it working are ridiculously counter intuitive on my set up, I've had to set the AV receiver to arc being off but then the TV is set to output via arc. It's definitely issuing optical though as removing that cable cuts the sound. Nothing else works, if I set the TV to optical output I get nothing despite it clearly using it.

Luckily my set up is only 5.1 so I don't feel like arc will add much to the equation, the receiver functions like it's on arc with CEC kicking in and operating like it should. I think it's definitely the TV causing the issues so I'll log a fix with lg to see if they panp to fix it. Up shit is a guy at work for a tcl P6 and he's having similar issue.

So I've got this issue on the latest firmware update. No audio at all when using Dolby Digital+ sources, all others work fine. It occasionally works fine. No software updates available, anyone got a fix?

So I've got this issue on the latest firmware update. No audio at all when using Dolby Digital+ sources...
To clarify... Do you mean 'no audio' from the TV's speakers?

To clarify... Do you mean 'no audio' from the TV's speakers?

No audio on my amp. If I set the audio to the TV speakers it works but when using a source with DD+, i.e. Netflix/Amazon, I get no audio output at all via the amp. Plex works fine as it doesn't use DD+.

No audio on my amp. If I set the audio to the TV speakers it works but when using a source with DD+, i.e. Netflix/Amazon, I get no audio output at all via the amp. Plex works fine as it doesn't use DD+.
So before the latest update you were able to pass Dolby Digital Plus audio as a bit-stream via HDMI ARC to your AVR?

Which software version do you currently have installed on your TV?

So before the latest update you were able to pass Dolby Digital Plus audio as a bit-stream via HDMI ARC to your AVR?

I don't know if I've had an update, I've only had the TV since the end of July and it's always done this.

The weird thing is it intermittently works very occasionally. It's clearly a software bug.

This is pretty much what my UK7500 does, it's only DD+ sources and every so often it throws a bone and works then dies as soon as I switch apps. Optical is the only way out I could find as per my posts above. Its definitely the TV and the arc output as the amp had no issues from my PS4 using DD+ and over optical it's fine.

I have started getting this problem now on my b7, no sound outputting from tv, sometimes rebooting fixes, its starting to get annoying now, looks like its a common problem now, is there a fix? can I get a replacement?

I have just started having this issue on a C8. Last two days no updates. but i did upgrade my amp to the Marantz av8802 from a previous Marantz Av pre amp i thought it was the amp at first, but all my apps work thorough ARC. I seem to be reading alot with D&M amps or just a coincidence. Lucky i connected optical cable while wall mounting just incase i needed it. So now using an optical for Netflix only. Got equinox coming next LG engineers to have a look. So hopefully they uv a fix as o watch alot of Atmos series

Last edited:
Well im back to having no sound through arc hdmi again on tv apps on my b7 thought it was an Lg marantz problem, but i brought a pioneer temp amp whilst my marantz goes off for repair, watched netflix movie with atmos no probs yesterday, guess what today sounds gone again, im on latest firmware 05.80.15 an using certified cables throughout.
Done all the usual cec on off, on amp and tv fiddling with the sound settings ad infinitum im well peed off with it now.

Hi all, sorry to respond on an old thread. I seem to have similar problems with my LG 65B7V connected to Sony str dn1080.

I get sound from AVR if I turn on TV first and then it turns on AVR. But if AVR is started first, I have no sound. I have to switch avr to a different hdmi out and back before I can get sound.

I tried everything I can from the menus in the avr and tv. I am on the latest firmware on both. Is there a way I can fix this?

ok i finally have my sound problem sorted, it seems the cec on my android tv box was somehow interfering with the tv cec confusing it
i have to pull the power cord on my android box to get sound over hdmi from my tv apps, not perfect but i can live with it.

...it seems the cec on my android tv box was somehow interfering with the tv cec confusing it...
This was a fairly common issue with early Android set-top boxes. As they were constantly passing CEC data along HDMI pin-13.

Buying an HDMI CEC blocker should remedy the issue ;)

Cheers

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
These replies got me tinkering with mine again and I've noticed a weird quirk. I can now get arc sound to work 100% of the time on Netflix and Amazon but I need to switch off of the TV input on the amp and back to it. Works every time but going to anything that uses a different codec means I have to change inputs again.

It's still as if on arc it just doesn't want to engage the DD+ mode without essentially being reset to force it. Has anyone else had similar? I think it's still the TV but be interested if other models have the same bug.

When fault finding HDMI ARC issues (which can take a long time), it's good practice to disconnect every HDMI device connected to your TV and/or AVR - except the connection between your TV and AVR.

First check the stability of the HDMI ARC connection between your TV and AVR. And if it's okay, you re-connect your other devices 'one at a time' until you find which one is causing a problem.

As mentioned previously, early Android (and Roku) devices caused HDMI ARC issues - even when placed in stand-by mode.

I did that based off of seemoredogotals post, this is how I found out the whole changing input resolves it, seems when I put everything back in the result didn't change, I've only got a switch and PS4 plugged in so I'd hope Sony and Nintendo have that stuff covered but it was worth testing to be sure.

Was this ever fixed?

I've been using optical all this time and my AVR (Yamaha VX-373) doesn't support Atmos, etc. anyway but if I ever wanted to upgrade my AVR, ARC would be important.

working fine now, on mine, was having a nightmare initially, but my problem was some kind of cec clash happening with a little android media player i also had hooked up. cec was turned off on it so never even suspected.
Once the penny dropped, only cause it was unplugged when i did get the atmos going again its been fine receivers a Marantz 7010 by the way

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom