LG B6 price expectation

Murphybro2

Hi guys,

I know nobody is a psychic so I'm not expecting a real answer as such!

My position is this.. I want a new tv by November latest so I have 6 months to find one. Currently the B6 is about £1400 which is pretty darn good and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. However, what do we think the market will look like come Nov and black friday? Will B6s still be sold at major retailers or will B7s have taken over by then? Do we expect B6s to keep on dropping at the same rate? Id happily wait 6 months if it drops to about £1k.. but I'll be mad if the price barely changes!

Thanks guys,

Any information/advice at all is greatly appreciated!

fleece

B6 will probs be gone/sold out by November . If you can get it for £1400 then i'd go for it now.

Billy Goodgun

Distinguished Member
Yeah, I'd be very surprised if you could still get a B6 by November. I'd expect them to be gone by about July/August. Maybe a bit sooner - will depend on existing stock levels.

Tbh, if you want one and you can get it for £1400, go for it. JL will price match up to 28 days later, RS a week.

Lit91

Previous models don't hang around for too long, especially with OLED.

When I was looking for mine early this year, there was only 1 (single TV in stock) 2015 OLED that I could find, it was an ex display from Richer Sounds at £1200-£1300, can't recall the exact figure.

Murphybro2

Hmm.. I don't feel like the B7 will be anywhere near 1400 for atleast a year.. if ever!!

Is the banding as big as an issue as I've been reading? Seen some posts where it looks like everyone commenting is posting pictures of horredous banding :/ not what I'd expect from such an expensive tv!

jackschidt

You will be lucky to pick one up from an established retailer if you wait until november. Some of the smaller 2nd tier sellers but I wouldn't risk it for sake of a couple of hundred quid.

Fred Smith

Really? Is that how it works then?

Anyone know how much B6s were last black friday?

Just prior, 02/11/2016, £1,999.00, Richer Sounds

Murphybro2

I see..

Its not that I have to wait, I could go get one now! Its just finding that sweet spot of when they'll be cheapest without leaving it too late! Cheers guys

Fred Smith

I though the sweet spot would be £2K and now look, £550 less!

Last edited:

Murphybro2

I can't afford a Sony OLED.. but are they supposed to be better than the 2017 LGs? I hear Sony are widely considered better at producing TVs..

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
E6's are now pretty much sold out, so I suspect the B6 will be next as those looking for a bargain are down pretty much to the B6 now. When they sell out I would expect the prices on this years models to start the move southwards, but it'll be a while until they reach these levels. You're looking at the same time next year probably, unless competition mid market at the E7 level gets aggressive with Sony & Panasonic trying to undercut LG E7 prices...

GadgetObsessed

What happened to the 2015 sets (EF950) when the 2016 sets were released may indicate what will happen for the 2016 sets (b6/c6/e6/g6) now that the 2017 sets are coming out.

The stock of EF950s dried up pretty quickly from the established stores (John Lewis, Currys, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Hughes, etc.) once the B6/C6/E6/G6 range arrived. The prices of the EF950s had fallen significantly a few months before they were phased out. So while there were some discounts at the time they stopped selling them they were reasonably small.

Personally, I doubt that you will see the prices of the B6 fall significantly below £1400 for the 55".

BTW - given that the 2017 launch prices seem to be very similar to the 2016 launch prices, it is not unrealistic to expect that by this time next year, the 2017 range will have similar prices to the 2016 range now.

Murphybro2

What happened to the 2015 sets (EF950) when the 2016 sets were released may indicate what will happen for the 2016 sets (b6/c6/e6/g6) now that the 2017 sets are coming out.

The stock of EF950s dried up pretty quickly from the established stores (John Lewis, Currys, Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Hughes, etc.) once the B6/C6/E6/G6 range arrived. The prices of the EF950s had fallen significantly a few months before they were phased out. So while there were some discounts at the time they stopped selling them they were reasonably small.

Personally, I doubt that you will see the prices of the B6 fall significantly below £1400 for the 55".

BTW - given that the 2017 launch prices seem to be very similar to the 2016 launch prices, it is not unrealistic to expect that by this time next year, the 2017 range will have similar prices to the 2016 range now.

Haha I know.. but then next year I'd be wondering if I should wait again.. and then I'll never get a TV!

I need it before the new xbox comes out which will be in about 6 months. That's right in the middle of the 2017 TVs life cycle meaning they won't be cheap enough for another 4-5 months probably!

GadgetObsessed

Haha I know.. but then next year I'd be wondering if I should wait again.. and then I'll never get a TV!

I need it before the new xbox comes out which will be in about 6 months. That's right in the middle of the 2017 TVs life cycle meaning they won't be cheap enough for another 4-5 months probably!
The B6 had fallen from its £2800 release price to £2000 by around October last year. In November there was a bit more off for Black Friday. I would expect something similar with the 2017 sets.

In the previous year the EF950 which fell significantly around September.

Xbox Scorpio comes out around the end of the year. By then you will have got most of the price falls that you would expect to get for the 2017 range. Although they will still fall a few hundred more by the time the 2018 range comes out.

Murphybro2

The B6 had fallen from its £2800 release price to £2000 by around October last year. In November there was a bit more off for Black Friday. I would expect something similar with the 2017 sets.

In the previous year the EF950 which fell significantly around September.

Xbox Scorpio comes out around the end of the year. By then you will have got most of the price falls that you would expect to get for the 2017 range. Although they will still fall a few hundred more by the time the 2018 range comes out.

Cheers man! Very helpful!

Is there that much of a difference between the B6 and B7? I know it's slightly brighter but other than that is it worth waiting? I'm upgrading from a 2011 Plasma just for context haha.

GadgetObsessed

Cheers man! Very helpful!

Is there that much of a difference between the B6 and B7? I know it's slightly brighter but other than that is it worth waiting? I'm upgrading from a 2011 Plasma just for context haha.

According to Vincent Teoh of the HD TV Test web site the 2017 model has the following advantages (ABL is the sets brightness limiter which kicks in during bright scenes to reduce power consumption):

• Cleaner near-black handling with clearer shadow detail;
  • Less aggressive ABL contributing to higher perceived contrast;
  • Lower input lag while preserving accurate colours and full 4:4:4 chroma;
  • Slightly better upscaling quality;
  • Availability of two-point [White Balance] controls in HDR mode;
  • Improved HDR tone-mapping with less clipping of bright highlight detail; and
  • A new anti-reflective filter that doesn’t suffer from a magenta tint when hit by light.
Whether that is worth the extra £1500 is up to you.

gbjbaanb

Considering you can still buy a 55EG910 from Currys or RS, I'd say there is potential for getting older models.

They'll be flogged off on retailers ebay stores (RS has one, for example) or sold on to 3rd line retailers. You'll miss out on the 5 year warranty though, but you'll be able to get them.

cnrps

Standard Member
I think they wont go lower than £1000. That is the minimum and realistic price for a 55 inch Oled.

Rob20

According to Vincent Teoh of the HD TV Test web site the 2017 model has the following advantages (ABL is the sets brightness limiter which kicks in during bright scenes to reduce power consumption):

• Cleaner near-black handling with clearer shadow detail;
  • Less aggressive ABL contributing to higher perceived contrast;
  • Lower input lag while preserving accurate colours and full 4:4:4 chroma;
  • Slightly better upscaling quality;
  • Availability of two-point [White Balance] controls in HDR mode;
  • Improved HDR tone-mapping with less clipping of bright highlight detail; and
  • A new anti-reflective filter that doesn’t suffer from a magenta tint when hit by light.
Whether that is worth the extra £1500 is up to you.

The way I see it you can spend almost £3,000 on a B7 now or you can buy an B6 for less than £1,500 and in a years time a B7 for around the same £1,500. You either sell the B6 and claw some money back or you have 2 TVs for roughly the same £3,000 outlay! You might be a generation behind but the savings will far outweigh the perceived loss in performance.

sw0

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I know nobody is a psychic so I'm not expecting a real answer as such!

My position is this.. I want a new tv by November latest so I have 6 months to find one. Currently the B6 is about £1400 which is pretty darn good and I'm tempted to pull the trigger. However, what do we think the market will look like come Nov and black friday? Will B6s still be sold at major retailers or will B7s have taken over by then? Do we expect B6s to keep on dropping at the same rate? Id happily wait 6 months if it drops to about £1k.. but I'll be mad if the price barely changes!

Thanks guys,

Any information/advice at all is greatly appreciated!
Mind if I ask where are you getting this stellar price? Can't seem to find a B6 for less than $3000.00 in the US.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Mind if I ask where are you getting this stellar price? Can't seem to find a B6 for less than $3000.00 in the US.

There around £1499 in the UK for the 55 models £2499 for 65

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022