LG B6 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

Coincidentally last night I noticed a strange pattern in the upper right of my screen on red backgrounds.
Turns out it is screen burn from the bright red stylised logo just before the word FreeviewPlay on the TV Guide page.
Now I do use the TV Guide daily but obviously I don't have it on screen for more than a minute at most and I always run the screen on ISF Expert Dark.
Looking through test patterns Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and Grey the only issue I see is this FreeViewPlay logo.
Attached a Pic, it's about 5" to the right of Joe Lycett's hair.

how did you run the test patterns? Is it external software?

Just a quick update.

My B6 is being picked up tomorrow and getting a new panel fitted.

Hopefully I get it back in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Just got confirmation LG are going to replace the panel on my B6, has some screen burn from the sky epg on red backgrounds and a green splodge on the middle of the screen on a yellow background.
Not too bad for £200 just need to wait for them to arrange courier etc now.

Seems like reasonable deal to get a replacement panel.
I definitely have burn in on my B6, so would like to get its panel replaced at some stage.

Does anyone know if the replacement panels are just as susceptible to burn in?
Have LG made documented improvements to their OLED panels?
I can remember reading about some sort of anti burn in feature in newer models that was based on detecting static images (logos, etc), but the B6 wlll never have that.

Anyone get their B6 or other OLED back from repair yet?
My B6 is being picked up tomorrow for the £200 repair.

Well after a delay from my original pick up my B6 finally got picked up today. Hopefully the turnaround is nice and speedy. Will let you guys know how it goes!

Mine arrived at LG on Fri 22nd Jan. Looking forward to getting it back. Same on letting people know how it went to repair the burn-in.

Just had mine collected today as well hopefully it won't be the full two weeks before I get it back.

Mine’s finally being picked up tomorrow (fingers crossed) after a bit of a palaver with LG not calling back, then calling back but getting cut off and not calling back again, finally asking for more pictures of the screen as it’d been a month since they agreed to the repair originally.

As above I’ll let everyone know how it goes.

Last edited:
TV collected today by a couple of chaps who were in and out in about 30 seconds, loaded in to a purpose made carry case, all very efficient.

Just a waiting game now to find out if they repair or replace.

In the meantime I’ve moved my old 42” Panasonic Viera Plasma in to it’s place, could have done with a forklift to take it off the playroom wall and move it to the lounge, whilst it seems incredibly small in comparison it still has a picture quality that impresses, not the wow factor of an OLED but just a beautiful, beautiful picture.

Not sure if my b6 is on its way out. I had the same trouble with it a couple weeks ago, I did a clear panel session which resolved it but surely it shouldn’t happen again so soon.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I’ve also taken some photos of what has happened to the display.

2DB1C1A6-86CB-4866-B22A-7B842A8619BB.jpeg
79566937-A8B0-4093-BF86-117BB9A70C77.jpeg

Not sure if my b6 is on its way out. I had the same trouble with it a couple weeks ago, I did a clear panel session which resolved it but surely it shouldn’t happen again so soon.

If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I’ve also taken some photos of what has happened to the display.

Is this happening when viewing content via the TV's built-in tuners and apps. Or external HDMI connected device?

The only time I see something similar in my B6 is when watching something in HDR and switching switching feeds and it doesn't stop out of HDR.

The only time I see something similar in my B6 is when watching something in HDR and switching switching feeds and it doesn't stop out of HDR.
Thanks, that would make sense as I was watching from a different HDR source and then went straight to turning the Sky Q box on. Is there anyway of avoiding having to clear the panel noise each time this happens?

I have found that when this happens either just switching the TV to standby or just watching something in HDR again and then quitting it will correct this.

Is there any benefit of using an HDMI Arc connection as apposed to connecting wireless to an LG SJ5 sound bar? I thought did same purpose just without hassle of a wire but according to a Sky engineer I had out I'm not getting its "true power". Any thoughts?

Is there any benefit of using an HDMI Arc connection as apposed to connecting wireless to an LG SJ5 sound bar? I thought did same purpose just without hassle of a wire but according to a Sky engineer I had out I'm not getting its "true power". Any thoughts?
Technically an HDMI ARC connection will offer the highest fidelity sound experience. But it can be a hassle to set-up and use on a daily basis, especially if the soundbar and the TV are not communicating with themselves correctly.

For this reason, many people prefer to go down the optical (S/PDIF) connection route, as it's always on.

Cheers

Technically an HDMI ARC connection will offer the highest fidelity sound experience. But it can be a hassle to set-up and use on a daily basis, especially if the soundbar and the TV are not communicating with themselves correctly.

For this reason, many people prefer to go down the optical (S/PDIF) connection route, as it's always on.

Cheers
How would this compare quality wise compared to a wireless connection? Also forgive me for maybe asking a silly question by why is it a hassle to set up? I was under impression its just a hdmi lead connection instead of using the wireless method so just a different input to select in the TV for audio output?

How would this compare quality wise compared to a wireless connection?
Technically the sound quality of a wireless connection is poorer than a direct wired connection because the audio data needs to be compressed prior to being transmitted. A wired connection should also reduce any audio/video sync issues, which are inherent when sending any wireless signal.

Also forgive me for maybe asking a silly question by why is it a hassle to set up? I was under impression its just a hdmi lead connection instead of using the wireless method so just a different input to select in the TV for audio output?
An HDMI ARC connection requires you to visit your TV's 'Sound Out' options. You will need permanently enable the 'Simplink (HDMI-CEC) setting so the TV and the soundbar can pass communication and audio data to each other. Also (in your case), you can set the 'Digital Sound Out' setting to 'PCM', as you have a 2.1 capable soundbar.

Sometimes the two devices can loose their HDMI data connection. Which can often be resolved by simply turning either the TV or soundbar or both 'off and on' again ;)

Technically the sound quality of a wireless connection is poorer than a direct wired connection because the audio data needs to be compressed prior to being transmitted. A wired connection should also reduce any audio/video sync issues, which are inherent when sending any wireless signal.

An HDMI ARC connection requires you to visit your TV's 'Sound Out' options. You will need permanently enable the 'Simplink (HDMI-CEC) setting so the TV and the soundbar can pass communication and audio data to each other. Also (in your case), you can set the 'Digital Sound Out' setting to 'PCM', as you have a 2.1 capable soundbar.

Sometimes the two devices can loose their HDMI data connection. Which can often be resolved by simply turning either the TV or soundbar or both 'off and on' again ;)
Sounds easy enough but a bit confusing at the same time lol so do I just attach a HDMI cable to the ARC slot on the TV and sound bar and then just change the input option on the magic remote? Or do I need to alter this 'simplink" setting first/after?

Sorry if these sound really obvious noob questions but I do appreciate the help

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom