LG B6 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

My 55" B6 was collected by a repair company 2 weeks ago, after getting a repair authorisation from Richer Sounds - TV was bought May 2017, so about 3.5 years old. The issue was banding - this actually appeared about a year ago, I was just hoping it would go (of course, it didn't!). There was also some quite significant screen burn from one of the kids channels.

I had an update today saying that a BER request has been submitted to LG - I had to ask them what this meant, being a bit slow! 'Beyond economical repair', it seems. Not completely surprised given it's age.

So, presuming that LG approve the BER request, I guess this means that LG (rather than RS) will be providing me with a like for like replacement.

I do not have the foggiest what that might be, although I suspect that if it's anything like cars, it will not be like for like at all!

Does anyone have any ideas what a replacement might be so I can do a bit of digging on it to check I'd be happy?

I am lucky enough to get an Xbox Series X later this week.

Will the B6 play games at 120fps? Does anyone know?

My 55" B6 was collected by a repair company 2 weeks ago, after getting a repair authorisation from Richer Sounds - TV was bought May 2017, so about 3.5 years old. The issue was banding - this actually appeared about a year ago, I was just hoping it would go (of course, it didn't!). There was also some quite significant screen burn from one of the kids channels.

I had an update today saying that a BER request has been submitted to LG - I had to ask them what this meant, being a bit slow! 'Beyond economical repair', it seems. Not completely surprised given it's age.

So, presuming that LG approve the BER request, I guess this means that LG (rather than RS) will be providing me with a like for like replacement.

I do not have the foggiest what that might be, although I suspect that if it's anything like cars, it will not be like for like at all!

Does anyone have any ideas what a replacement might be so I can do a bit of digging on it to check I'd be happy?

Bit of an update here - so it seems that LG have agreed to provide a replacement, much to the surprise of the TV engineers it was sent to who say that the manufacturers are usually a little ruthless in not wanting to get involved if they can help it!

I'm to have the old box back, they (LG) will collect it and hand over a replacement. That seems to be the plan anyway. I presume LG will contact me at some point to let me now when this may be, so I'll ask what the replacement is going to be. I guess it will be a BX6 of the same size, unless they happen to have a stash of 3.5 year old B6s knocking about somewhere for situations like this!

Probably a BX, unless they have some old B9 stock.

Just started my warranty claim journey, my 55B6 has developed some horrible screen burn/retention, spoke to a very helpful chap at Richer Sounds who explained that while the issue isn’t covered by their 6 year warranty, it’s a known issue and LG have a repair/replace plan in place, I’ve sent all my info to LG and have had a response, just waiting for the relevant team to get in touch now.

Chap from Richer Sounds suggested that a replacement screen would probably be fitted, and that my contribution would be £200, although he mentioned that he hasn’t seen any B6 screens for quite a while so LG may offer an upgrade to a newer model instead, either way it’ll effectively be a new TV for £200 so I’ll be happy if it all goes as expected.

You can hopefully see the extent of my issue in the attached picture, if you don’t have any visible issues I highly suggest not doing the full bright yellow screen test or you might upset yourselves!

Attachments

• 0F38D28F-1493-4A8B-9C27-3C68A556AF93.jpeg
    0F38D28F-1493-4A8B-9C27-3C68A556AF93.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 195
I also need to give RS a call, as I'm experiencing the same issues on my 65E6V. Absolutely gutted that I will be losing the 3D.

Update on my repair - LG approved the request that was submitted to replace my B6 (as a result of no replacement parts, i.e., the panel!). They offered me a BX6. I asked if it was possible to pay a bit more and get a CX, and they said I could have one of those instead as they're in stock. Presume it still has to go through several layers of approval etc., so no idea if I'll get the replacement this side of xmas, but something seems to be happening at last anyway.

I’m still using my B6 and it still looks good to my eyes.

For day to day normal tv watching, 4k and 1080, am I missing out on anything by not upgrading to a newer model?

My B6 is still my main display, and I still love it.

But thinking about upgrading, where I would expect an improvement is with HDR tone mapping and motion handling. Maybe near black performance too but I have no complaints about this with my B6.

Personally I am waiting for next years displays, the idea of "upgrading" to a current LG without FreeView-Play and DTS decoding seems like a step backwards.
I've been contemplating a Panasonic OLED but I would probably miss WebOS.

I’m still using my B6 and it still looks good to my eyes.

For day to day normal tv watching, 4k and 1080, am I missing out on anything by not upgrading to a newer model?

Not really no, In terms of picture quality each year there are only slight tweaks, The biggest new features each year are software or slight hardware related or a new type of hdr, or a different kind of passthrough or hdmi 2.x

My mate has a CX and i have the C6 and I have not noticed any difference in 4K or 1080p quality, Only thing i did notice is ABL (Automatic Brightness Limiting) is more subtle in newer sets.

Just started my warranty claim journey, my 55B6 has developed some horrible screen burn/retention, spoke to a very helpful chap at Richer Sounds who explained that while the issue isn’t covered by their 6 year warranty, it’s a known issue and LG have a repair/replace plan in place, I’ve sent all my info to LG and have had a response, just waiting for the relevant team to get in touch now.

Chap from Richer Sounds suggested that a replacement screen would probably be fitted, and that my contribution would be £200, although he mentioned that he hasn’t seen any B6 screens for quite a while so LG may offer an upgrade to a newer model instead, either way it’ll effectively be a new TV for £200 so I’ll be happy if it all goes as expected.

You can hopefully see the extent of my issue in the attached picture, if you don’t have any visible issues I highly suggest not doing the full bright yellow screen test or you might upset yourselves!

Well this is very interesting news. I bought my B6 Dec 2016 and it’s got some nasty burn/image retention when a red background is shown and it’s been noticeable for some time now just didn’t know how to go about things. I bought mine from Richer sounds as well so this news gives me some hope as I originally paid £2800 for it and it shouldn’t have these problems for that money. If I can get it swapped out for a newer model for £200 I definitely go for that option!

I‘ll take some photos to show you my burn in for reference.

Out of interest what colour slides did you use to take your pictures? Only thing I know of to use was a burn in test on YouTube which does show the very obvious burn in which you will see with the pics.

Well this is very interesting news. I bought my B6 Dec 2016 and it’s got some nasty burn/image retention when a red background is shown and it’s been noticeable for some time now just didn’t know how to go about things. I bought mine from Richer sounds as well so this news gives me some hope as I originally paid £2800 for it and it shouldn’t have these problems for that money. If I can get it swapped out for a newer model for £200 I definitely go for that option!

I‘ll take some photos to show you my burn in for reference.

Out of interest what colour slides did you use to take your pictures? Only thing I know of to use was a burn in test on YouTube which does show the very obvious burn in which you will see with the pics.

LG asked for a picture of the screen on a bright yellow background, just type ‘bright yellow background’ in to YouTube and one will pop up.

They’ll also want a load of other info off you, so take a pic of the sticker on the back of the TV with the serial number etc on it and your purchase receipt.

They called me on Friday but I was in the pub (we’re still tier 2 here) so didn’t answer but they left a message and I’ll call them Monday, which is when I’ll hopefully find out if I get a new screen or a replacement set.

The chap from Richer Sounds gave me a number for LG but by pure coincidence LG private messaged me via Facebook Messenger after I’d commented on one of their posts before I got the chance to ring them, so I continued the dialog on messenger rather than call.

LG asked for a picture of the screen on a bright yellow background, just type ‘bright yellow background’ in to YouTube and one will pop up.

They’ll also want a load of other info off you, so take a pic of the sticker on the back of the TV with the serial number etc on it and your purchase receipt.

They called me on Friday but I was in the pub (we’re still tier 2 here) so didn’t answer but they left a message and I’ll call them Monday, which is when I’ll hopefully find out if I get a new screen or a replacement set.

The chap from Richer Sounds gave me a number for LG but by pure coincidence LG private messaged me via Facebook Messenger after I’d commented on one of their posts before I got the chance to ring them, so I continued the dialog on messenger rather than call.

I've just taken a pic with my sony camera just to show you what I mean. I will take some more when it's dark later so I get no reflections etc but even in normal light you can easily see the problem I have.

The red slide for me shows the burn/image retention the best but it is on other colours but not all of them. Blue for example is perfect which is why I don't like to call it burn rather than the 'red is failing' etc.

DSC07433.JPG

So I am very interested to know your progress as my burn is equally as bad if not worse and hopefully you (and I) get a new CX for a replacement as I doubt very much there are any new B6 replacement panels out there now as it's nearly a 5 year old model.

Last edited:
Coincidentally last night I noticed a strange pattern in the upper right of my screen on red backgrounds.
Turns out it is screen burn from the bright red stylised logo just before the word FreeviewPlay on the TV Guide page.
Now I do use the TV Guide daily but obviously I don't have it on screen for more than a minute at most and I always run the screen on ISF Expert Dark.
Looking through test patterns Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Cyan, Magenta and Grey the only issue I see is this FreeViewPlay logo.
Attached a Pic, it's about 5" to the right of Joe Lycett's hair.

Attachments

• 20201220_224428.jpg
    20201220_224428.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 177
Aside from the burned(retained) logos, my biggest issue is the fact that the picture is supposed to be pure yellow but the middle of the screen is green, when you’re watching anything with people’s faces, it makes their skin look grey and like they’re seriously ill.

I spoke to LG today but decided to hold off on sending it for ‘repair’ as it’ll take 14 days, so I’ve just got to give them a call after Christmas and they’ll arrange for it to be picked up.

Aside from the burned(retained) logos, my biggest issue is the fact that the picture is supposed to be pure yellow but the middle of the screen is green, when you’re watching anything with people’s faces, it makes their skin look grey and like they’re seriously ill.

I spoke to LG today but decided to hold off on sending it for ‘repair’ as it’ll take 14 days, so I’ve just got to give them a call after Christmas and they’ll arrange for it to be picked up.

I have spoken to RS and basically in the same boat as you with regards to burn and their warranty etc and been given a number/email address to start the repair/replacement procedure with LG. I’ll be giving LG a call once Christmas is out of the way but please give updates with your progress (as your ahead of me) as whatever the outcome for you will be the same fate for me!

I have spoken to RS and basically in the same boat as you with regards to burn and their warranty etc and been given a number/email address to start the repair/replacement procedure with LG. I’ll be giving LG a call once Christmas is out of the way but please give updates with your progress (as your ahead of me) as whatever the outcome for you will be the same fate for me!

Will do, I will probably call LG and initiate the process just before the new year with a view to it being taken away just after.

Hello, I searched for this problem but found nothing so I am posting. The last few weeks this has become more noticable. It looks like some web browser that is ghosting in from the background. I can't imagine what it would be. It is there regardless of using an Antenna, Cable box or my Oppo Blu ray player. It looks like burn in, but i dont play games on it and there is nothing that stays on the screen that looks like this. It looks like a finger pointing to a web browser. It goes all across the bottom and then there are multiples boxes up the right hand side. I've gone through all the settings, the installed apps and can find nothing that resembles what I can see. I have NOT "reset" the tv yet. Anyone have any ideas on what it is and how to fix it? Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_2347.JPG
    IMG_2347.JPG
    382.8 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2345.JPG
    IMG_2345.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 119
Looks like the classic image retention some of us are suffering with, perhaps it’s a scrolling text bar from a daytime tv show, something like the Jeremy Vine show? Or a shopping channel graphic maybe?

LG’s initial advice to me was to run the clear panel thing 5 times in a row, which as it can take up to an hour a go, means 5 hours, for me it had no effect so I initiated the warranty repair claim, maybe it will work for you, but I doubt it.

In some more static movie scenes the TV picture starts to dimm a lot to almost unwatchable dark. Brightness restores only if the scene switches or I for example turn on TV menus. Seems like some sort of misbehaving power saving feature. I have every power saving feature turned off so any idea what could be causing it? I’m still in FW 4.x as I don’t want to ruin my perfect black levels.

In some more static movie scenes the TV picture starts to dimm a lot to almost unwatchable dark. Brightness restores only if the scene switches or I for example turn on TV menus. Seems like some sort of misbehaving power saving feature. I have every power saving feature turned off so any idea what could be causing it? I’m still in FW 4.x as I don’t want to ruin my perfect black levels.

You should Google 'LG oled turn off asbl' & you will find a solution on avsforum. You will need either a harmony remote or a purchased app to access the in-start menu. Follow the instructions very carefully or if unsure then leave well alone! I managed to turn mine off as it is a very annoying feature when watching darker material, but please do take care, there's a good reason this menu isn't easily accessible!
Good luck, Stu.

You should Google 'LG oled turn off asbl' & you will find a solution on avsforum. You will need either a harmony remote or a purchased app to access the in-start menu. Follow the instructions very carefully or if unsure then leave well alone! I managed to turn mine off as it is a very annoying feature when watching darker material, but please do take care, there's a good reason this menu isn't easily accessible!
Good luck, Stu.
Thank you! I happened to already have Harmony remote so changing the setting was a breeze. Looking forward to watch movies without the annoying dimming!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom