LG B6 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

Can I apply the update 5.40.03 to B6T (India, Australia version)
It is still possible to downgrade to 04.31.25 for B6 EU model or 04.31.20 for US model from the latest 05.31.xx FW. To do so, ge the 05.40.xx FW first.

The reason this works is that the 05.40.03 is a beta an untested fw which is also unlocked so that means we can go down in FW downgrade. If you directly try to downgrade from official 05.31.xx to 04.31.xx then it will not work because LG has made a lock on the firmware it self.

Download this one first

Then use the LGTV_UPDATER procedure (google it) to upgrade to 05.40.03. Only then you will be able to downgrade to 04.31.25.

04.31.25 (EU version, to get the US version just google it)

After downgrade, reset the TV and get better performance, black levels as they should have been and increased HDR game mode brightness aswell as other modes. You will lose HLG and maybe some other not important things, but who cares if you only game, watch DV/HDR content on the 2016 OLED TV :)

For completeness and just in case it helps anyone else who has an out of warranty LG repair, my TV is back as per my original post here.

TV was collected on the 7th September and returned on the Friday just gone. LG weren't great at communication so I had to chase and it seems with covid there is limited capacity in their repair centre and delays to some spares. All of which is acceptable to me, just thought they should have mentioned it at the beginning.

Anyway, collection was straight forward with the courier putting the B6 straight into an LG branded flight case:

flightcase.jpg

Note the solid grey back of the panel, more on this shortly. So 3 weeks later the TV returns, this time in an LED TV box (yes I panicked!), but it was my TV tucked inside and was very well packaged:

Retrun.jpg

Inside there was also a note from the engineer with a simple fix "panel replaced". So my TV now has a silver back instead of the grey one, I'm assuming this is a panel for a newer version of the same size TV?

silver-back.jpg

It's back on the wall now and looking just as good as it did before the strip appeared, albeit I had to reinstall all apps and change picture settings to suit my needs.

So if you are out of warranty and need a repair, my experience was positive. £200 for a whole new OLED screen with a 3 month repair warranty seems fair and hopefully I'll get a good few years out of it. :smashin:

So if you are out of warranty and need a repair, my experience was positive. £200 for a whole new OLED screen with a 3 month repair warranty seems fair and hopefully I'll get a good few years out of it. :smashin:
I wonder what version of OLED panel they've installed. There can't be many original B6 2016 panels lying around?!

My vintage B6 55 is having some issues. Banding, unstable OS - tv shutting off randomly, picture settings changing at will, wifi problematic.

Bought it via Richer Sounds

Anyone dealt with them on B6 warranty claims? Are they particularly difficult or easy to deal with, and do they repair or replace?

thanks

Hallo Leute,ich versuche verzweifelt ein Downgrade durchzuführen. Ich habe soweit alles wie beschrieben gemacht der TV erkennt den PC aber er sagt kein update verfügbar. Ich wollte erst auf die 05.40.03 und dann runter auf die 04.30.25...kann mir jemand nochmal eine genaue Anleitung geben? Vielen Dank. Gruß Sascha

My vintage B6 55 is having some issues. Banding, unstable OS - tv shutting off randomly, picture settings changing at will, wifi problematic.

Bought it via Richer Sounds

Anyone dealt with them on B6 warranty claims? Are they particularly difficult or easy to deal with, and do they repair or replace?

thanks
I had my panel replaced on my 2016 B6 through Richer Sounds extended warranty. I phoned them up and they asked for photos of the fault ( washed out picture and dead pixels ) which i duly sent and they replied that i needed new panel and they would have to order it. About a week later two guys from a repair company came out to my house and checked fault was genuine, apparently some people take photos of other tv's, 30mins later panel was fitted.
Could not fault Richer Sounds or repair company in my experience dealing with them.

Has anyone had any success with screen burn issues being repaired by Richer Sounds?

My B6 looks utterly horrendous with burned images all over it, the middle of the screen goes almost green when it should be showing yellow while watching Simpsons or similar, their current warranty t&c’s specifically exclude any kind of screen burn, but I’m not sure they did when I purchased my B6 in 2016?

I'm having issues where my B6 55 turns itself off and then automatically back on again with no input from me. This can be when I'm watching freeview or when using a streaming service. It can happen within a couple of minutes of turning on the TV or after a few hours. Any ideas on what this might be?

I have a 5 year warranty with John Lewis and so have sent them a mail to report this. I'm not clear if they will do anything to resolve it.

I had my panel replaced on my 2016 B6 through Richer Sounds extended warranty. I phoned them up and they asked for photos of the fault ( washed out picture and dead pixels ) which i duly sent and they replied that i needed new panel and they would have to order it....
Out of interest. How long ago was this?

Hi folks, to cut a long story short I want to update a B6 to latest official software from 4.31 which it’s been on since initial ownership. To prevent this happening previously I’d had ‘automatic updates’ unticked and wi-fi turned off.
However on reversing these and selecting ‘Check for updates’ it reports ‘No updates found’.
Will they be found eventually or will I need to apply manually? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE 18/10 - after a few days it’s suddenly found them. Interestingly, it applied 5.30 followed by 5.31 without further intervention apart from turning off and on again twice.

Attachments

• 1E6D0CB3-A020-4D46-9391-E26A18B2C266.jpeg
    1E6D0CB3-A020-4D46-9391-E26A18B2C266.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Before I go to LG or Curry's where bought my B6 back in November 2016 and at the time Curry's were giving 5 year warranty, I wondered if anyone here has had experience of a fault with hdmi2 arc not working properly with a Sonos Beam. Mine seems to stop connecting properly and I lose audio via the hdmi socket if the TV has been switched off overnight. Started happening around a week ago and I have been in touch with Sonos support and after numerous tests we've come to the conclusion it's not the Beam at fault but the TV.

Will obviously go back to Curry's but wondering if others have seen similar issues?

Optical out does work to the Beam, just not via hdmi2 and resetting the Beam does cure it until the following day.

For completeness and just in case it helps anyone else who has an out of warranty LG repair, my TV is back as per my original post here.

TV was collected on the 7th September and returned on the Friday just gone. LG weren't great at communication so I had to chase and it seems with covid there is limited capacity in their repair centre and delays to some spares. All of which is acceptable to me, just thought they should have mentioned it at the beginning.

Anyway, collection was straight forward with the courier putting the B6 straight into an LG branded flight case:

View attachment 1373217

Note the solid grey back of the panel, more on this shortly. So 3 weeks later the TV returns, this time in an LED TV box (yes I panicked!), but it was my TV tucked inside and was very well packaged:

View attachment 1373218

Inside there was also a note from the engineer with a simple fix "panel replaced". So my TV now has a silver back instead of the grey one, I'm assuming this is a panel for a newer version of the same size TV?

View attachment 1373222

It's back on the wall now and looking just as good as it did before the strip appeared, albeit I had to reinstall all apps and change picture settings to suit my needs.

Hi mate, what did you use to check for banding? Not sure if I have some, but also dreaded screen burn too.
I know they won't look at that. I'm still in warranty period and extra accidental policy with John Lewis but they won't help with screen burn.
Cheers

Hi mate, what did you use to check for banding? Not sure if I have some, but also dreaded screen burn too.
I know they won't look at that. I'm still in warranty period and extra accidental policy with John Lewis but they won't help with screen burn.
Cheers
]
I used a video or two on YouTube. The fixed colour one I used is linked earlier in the thread but I also used this grey scale one: Modernwize OLED TV vertical banding test

Good morning all, looking for some advice on an issue I had yesterday on my 4yr old 65b6; when I switched on my sky q box the tv flickered between displaying sky for a split second then showing "no input signal" & back again, constantly.

After rebooting sky q several times (I've had lots of issues with the sky box!), changing HDMI cables & trying all the inputs on the tv, it still wouldn't work. I then tried my OPPO 4k player & realised that wouldn't display either, so I finally unplugged the tv from the wall socket, left it a minute, plugged it back in &, hey presto, it all worked again.

So, my question - is this just a glitch (it's never happened before) or the start of a failing HDMI board? My next move is to contact LG whilst I'm still in warranty, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. My hesitance to go straight to LG is because I spent a fair bit of money getting my screen calibrated & don't want to lose that.

Cheers for any input (see what i did there!), Stu.

Haven't checked this thread in god knows how long. My TV still has the 4.31 firmware.. Is it worth updating to the latest firmware now? If so, what's been added or improved over the firmware I currently have?

Good morning all, looking for some advice on an issue I had yesterday on my 4yr old 65b6; when I switched on my sky q box the tv flickered between displaying sky for a split second then showing "no input signal" & back again, constantly.

After rebooting sky q several times (I've had lots of issues with the sky box!), changing HDMI cables & trying all the inputs on the tv, it still wouldn't work. I then tried my OPPO 4k player & realised that wouldn't display either, so I finally unplugged the tv from the wall socket, left it a minute, plugged it back in &, hey presto, it all worked again.

So, my question - is this just a glitch (it's never happened before) or the start of a failing HDMI board? My next move is to contact LG whilst I'm still in warranty, but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. My hesitance to go straight to LG is because I spent a fair bit of money getting my screen calibrated & don't want to lose that.

Cheers for any input (see what i did there!), Stu.

I've had a similar issue (inputs not recognised) which was fixed by unplugging the TV and restarting. Weirdly it repeated over the period of about a month to the point where I was about to contact LG, then stopped and never had it again.

If it is happening frequently I'd be concerned, otherwise chalk it up to a software glitch.

Thanks bioneuro, really appreciate your reply. It hasn't happened since, but I did fire off an email to LG to log that I've had the issue, so that they are aware.

I'll do as you suggest - put it down to a glitch & keep my fingers crossed!

Thanks again, Stu.

After getting screen burn on my 65B6 from watching too much sky news in lockdown I contacted Fenwick's who originally sold it to me with a free 5 year warranty.
They were very helpful and replaced it with a new 65BX when they became available.
As far as I can tell the picture is very much the same as the B6, just a few extra picture modes and Atmos sound.
The main difference is I paid £2600 pounds 4 years ago and now you can buy it for £1600 or less.
Don't believe all the hype about new models being that much better I think the limit has been reached on how good an oled screen can look and has hardly changed in years.

i ran the colour slide from youtube and noticed the Netflix word has very very slightly burnt in, only on red slide which is the logo colour. No other visible problem, can't see it in normal viewing, and its only ever displayed bottom right whilst trying to find something to watch, so red is definitely a bad colour to display on a fixed logo.
I would expect everyone with Netflix and this tv to have this problem by now, just haven't looked for it

i ran the colour slide from youtube and noticed the Netflix word has very very slightly burnt in, only on red slide which is the logo colour. No other visible problem, can't see it in normal viewing, and its only ever displayed bottom right whilst trying to find something to watch, so red is definitely a bad colour to display on a fixed logo.
I would expect everyone with Netflix and this tv to have this problem by now, just haven't looked for it
Yes, this is the most prominent screen burn I have on my screen. There's a few other small burns but this is the one you can plainly see on a red slide.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom