LG B6 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

That's an old FW but I have the last version available before the 05XXXX versions arrived. Ping me a PM and I'll get you access to it.

This has been answered many times in this thread - the SoC in the B6 can't support ATMOS decoding or passthrough, so it won't ever be available on the B6.

Paul

Really bad from LG. Atmos is from 2015.
High end tv and missing this.

It is what it is. If you need the functionality, buy a different TV or a set top box that will output it.

Paul

Yes we have to buy a high end tv each year now so we are future safe :)

Really bad from LG. Atmos is from 2015.
High end tv and missing this.
Atmos as an audio format might have been, but how many TV's 3 years ago could passthrough atmos?

Just sayin'....that statement is a bit misleading.

Yes we have to buy a high end tv each year now so we are future safe :)

Apart from the G6 none of the 2016 LG OLED's support YouTube HDR10 either, you have to add an external device to get it on them. Things are developing all the time, next will be HDMI 2.1, the B6 won't support that either.

Apart from the G6 none of the 2016 LG OLED's support YouTube HDR10 either, you have to add an external device to get it on them. Things are developing all the time, next will be HDMI 2.1, the B6 won't support that either.

Exactly. Things are always evolving....if something isn't part of the spec for the item you've bought, shouldn't ever be EXPECTED to be added....it's a nice thing when companies do manage to implement new features....but I don't agree when people get upset about new features that have NOT been added.

Atmos as an audio format might have been, but how many TV's 3 years ago could passthrough atmos?

Just sayin'....that statement is a bit misleading.

Yes I know. I am happy with my B6. But sometimes I feel I bought in the wrong time. Should have waited.

But luckely we can use external devices to get the whole chain of new formats.

Well I feel I should have waited and purchased a B7 as they were selling for £500 cheaper than I paid for my B6, but I would have had to delay the purchase by nearly a year and miss the superb picture in the mean time. The 2018 OLED's don't seem to offer anything over the 2017's so my next large screen TV purchase will probably not be until 2020 at the earliest.

Yes I know. I am happy with my B6. But sometimes I feel I bought in the wrong time. Should have waited.

But luckely we can use external devices to get the whole chain of new formats.
Yeah. Unfortunately that feeling comes on most electronic products these days. As soon as you leave the store, it's out of date lol

I am happy with my B6. But sometimes I feel I bought in the wrong time.
That's technology in general for you! If you're interested in the bleeding edge and want something that's truly future proof, there's never a right time to buy. You'll always have to deal with compromise at some point.

Paul

The 2018 OLED's don't seem to offer anything over the 2017's so my next large screen TV purchase will probably not be until 2020 at the earliest.
I think you've nailed it with that statement. In my opinion, each new current format TV release from now on will be evolutionary and offer only very slight improvements over the last model and I think we're running out of improvements to come with PQ, which is my primary interest.
Unless the 2018 OLEDs are noticeably better, in terms of PQ, than the 2017 models, I can see myself buying a B7 or C7 this year at some point, for the tangible improvements in near black performance and un-compromised HLG support.

Paul

I think you've nailed it with that statement. In my opinion, each new current format TV release from now on will be evolutionary and offer only very slight improvements over the last model and I think we're running out of improvements to come with PQ, which is my primary interest.
Unless the 2018 OLEDs are noticeably better, in terms of PQ, than the 2017 models, I can see myself buying a B7 or C7 this year at some point, for the tangible improvements in near black performance and un-compromised HLG support.

Paul
With the new processing power, it could mean potential for better motion interpolation maybe. Depends how they put that shiny new chip to work.

Over all, I'm still very happy with my c6 and don't see myself upgrading unless they bring out an 8k 3d model :)

Certainly not going back from oled either.

With the new processing power, it could mean potential for better motion interpolation maybe. Depends how they put that shiny new chip to work.
Yes, that will be interesting to know, not that I'm bothered by the motion handling of the B6. Any improvement in PQ I'll take though.

Over all, I'm still very happy with my c6 and don't see myself upgrading unless they bring out an 8k 3d model :)

Certainly not going back from oled either.
I share that sentiment as I'm very happy with my B6 and struggle to see how much better the next models can get/ could be. I am cheating a little though with my Radiance Pro and 5000 point 3D LUT calibration, which really does take the performance up a notch or two.

It's knowing there is better near black performance and HLG support that would make me change. Not that I'm obsessed with it or anything... :blush:

Paul

Once the next firmware comes out, which i believe will more than likely be the last, i will then look at getting mine calibrated.
Hopefully the black glow is sorted, but as said previously, this was fixed with a service menu tweek during a calibration.
But would like to know a future firmware wouldn’t them undo this.

Once the next firmware comes out, which i believe will more than likely be the last, i will then look at getting mine calibrated.
You won't regret it. If they do a good job, it will be like watching a new TV!

Hopefully the black glow is sorted, but as said previously, this was fixed with a service menu tweek during a calibration.
Attempting to adjust out the raised black floor, via the service menu white balance controls, is the next thing on my list to try.
When I originally updated to 05.10.XX, I tried a number of things to eliminate the issue but none worked. I've been kicking myself every since Bumptious advised of his method to correct it, mostly for not thinking of it myself!
I've got to gird up my loins though as my current calibration method is tricky to fit in to life and I'd like to get my meter profiled before I expend any real time on it.

Paul

I missed this ******** method post. Does anyone have a link to it?

Love the fact that people are still bitching about Dolby Atmos.
The questions you need to ask yourself.
  1. Do you have a Dolby Atmos Surround System with the right speaker set up?
  2. If you do, then you will be using devices which output the format, correct?
  3. If you have answered no, to the top one, then why are you still moaning? you don't need it.
  4. If you answered no, to the 2nd one, then why are you moaning? you don't need it.
  5. Yes some people may use Atmos soundbars, they are not true dolby atmos. But why would you buy one if the TV doesn't and will never support it?
There you have it, you didn't buy the TV for Dolby Atmos, you bought it for one thing alone, the picture quality. If you want Dolby Atmos, buy the surround system and devices that support it.
Rant over.

You won't regret it. If they do a good job, it will be like watching a new TV!

Attempting to adjust out the raised black floor, via the service menu white balance controls, is the next thing on my list to try.
When I originally updated to 05.10.XX, I tried a number of things to eliminate the issue but none worked. I've been kicking myself every since Bumptious advised of his method to correct it, mostly for not thinking of it myself!
I've got to gird up my loins though as my current calibration method is tricky to fit in to life and I'd like to get my meter profiled before I expend any real time on it.

Paul

Where is this ‘Bumptious’ method you talk of?

I guess Youngsyp is referring to this by Canary_Jules: "Hi guys, this new firmware is certainly causing some problems. I was calibrating a B6 yesterday, had completed the SDR side of things and then in the midst of my HDR work the option to install the latest firmware popped up. Upon installing the firmware the black level of HDR was signficantly raised and could not be restored using the brightness control. The only way to restore zero black was to enter the service menu and lower the low 2 point white balance. This would have been a problem had I been using Warm2 for the HDR colour temperature as any changes would have affected SDR too, but as is now my practice I had elected to dial in Medium instead. I hope that helps. Checks and meter readings confirmed that SDR on the set I was working on was unaffected. Btw, I also discovered that the new X Box, which my client had just purchased, has issues with UHD Blu-ray playback - again raising luminance levels. Interesting day!"

Last edited:
Help guys! I've noticed what appears to be screen burn over the last 24 hours. Its not visible in lighter images. I put the set through a couple of hours of pattern generators from you tube before turning it off last night.

I turned the set on this morning and its still visible. I would appreciate any advice that could be offered.

Attachments

• 20180210_083410.jpg
    20180210_083410.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 174
Help guys! I've noticed what appears to be screen burn over the last 24 hours. Its not visible in lighter images. I put the set through a couple of hours of pattern generators from you tube before turning it off last night.

I turned the set on this morning and its still visible. I would appreciate any advice that could be offered.

What was your Oled light set to, and what sort of content was being displayed?

Also, did you turn your tv off at the wall after use or leave on standby?

Question - Picture problem with 55" b6 oled

Similar thing happened to mine...... Easy enough fix for me

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom