LG B6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

rvwill48

Novice Member
Hi Guys
LG B6 has been flawless until tonight!

noticed a strange shape in my TV screen, doesn't look like burn-in just maybe stuck pixels
what the hell is it?
I have tried the panel clear function still no good

Any ideas?

Well, I think I have a 5-year warranty with Richarsounds, time to dig out that receipt !!

IMG_20200510_180427.jpg

IMG_20200510_180415.jpg

IMG_20200510_195845.jpg

Not a 5-year warranty but a 6 year - in warranty until 13.12.2022:clap:
Same here. Mine looked like this. TV was just over 3 years old. Eventually was fixed by RS for free after RS operations director stepped in.
Fitted new screen.
C18067D9-B1CA-43B2-A45D-5B5A28E8C399.jpeg
4A009218-25D5-490F-8F8E-668C51B16371.jpeg
F5E770D2-EC51-4CA7-B6E0-57FB991EDA6A.jpeg

Bluenight

Now my tv is back and working with new oled panel : ). I notice this new panel dont reflect in pink tint colour like the old one, this looks more darker which should make black look deeper better in bright rooms i think, less reflection.

It was installed with newest fw 05.30.85, before it broke i was using 04.31.25 because of the black glow. But now so far with 05.30.85 i cant see any blackglow in DV, HDR10 or SDR. And DV on apple tv 4k looks better/ sharper i think(i know there was a fw fix with improved DV black level) but people still saw black glow if i remember correct, maybe its the new panel that help? Picture looks great awyway. Newer panels usualy have better homogeneity and less banding and colour tint. Old one had some pink tint. Havent looked for it yet on the new one.

Also this happend
Stuck in webos start menu and i couldent do anything or whatch anything. Lucky me the comment mentioning holding down home button and back button at the same time for a few seconds and then press scroll button ok activated it so i could press the start button.

Last edited:

Bluenight

At least there is no black crush in 05 fw so thats good and the picture colours is great and looks clean.Maybe more brighter explosions and stuff, more nits. Hair colours look realistic imo.

But is it an known bug on internal netflix app? i notice the whole screen goes black for one sec from time to time(some minute in between) on newest fw.

Last edited:
Sorry if this has been answered before but can anyone tell me if the B6 can play 4k hdr mkv files over usb? My C8 plays them fine but the old B6 in the living room setup wont play them , it plays the 1080 sdr ones just fine (which were encoded with the same program)

AidenL

Is HLG supported on a B6? Seeing as Sky HDR will be HLG, this will have some importance in the future.

AidenL

Bluenight

I tried rolling back with lgdtvupdater with no sucess from latest fw 05.30.85

You cant downgrade from newest fw? The tv found the fw but all it did was to stand still at 0% not downloading.

Anyone?

paulrw

Sky HLG HDR looks fantastic on my B6, been a long time since bbc last had HLG content, definitely better than netflix dv

bobbytoad

Has any one gone for a Sonos Arc to go with the B6?
What sound options are you getting - don't understand atoms DD+ etc etc but interested if teh tv will allow any potential of the bar to be used?

flashheart8

So after 2 replacement panels to the B6 due to the intitial screen burn. They are finally replacing the TV.
Original fault was GMTV burn in, panel replaced, but the screen had horizontal lines. Repair company said it was me. Complained, panel replaced again. This time two very fine horizontal lines, the average person wouldn't see, but all of us on this forum would see it every time we looked at the TV. Complained again. Just got off the phone. TV written off, replacement C8 on the way. An absolute nightmare time over 7 weeks.
This was through domestic and general.
But a new TV on the way and they told me to dispose of this one... erm it might be good enough to replace the aging Panny in the bedroom...
So finally I can say I have no problems with my B6. So soon I will be bidding farewell to this group and joining the problems on the C8 forum. We have had our ups and downs.
I also had my panel replaced and has gone again with the same GMTV burn in, this time however Domectic and General has said they will not cover it due to it being purely cosmetic......the exact same burn in fault.
Gloves are off.

Chop_Suey

Easy question for B6 owners: The WebOS Quick Access feature available on later B-series models; is it also available on the B6V?

If so, did you have to update the TV firmware was it there from first use?

Thanks
Doesn’t appear to be on my B6. Holding “0” down does nothing. I’m on latest firmware.

Gordons91

Apologies if it’s been asked before, but I cannot find the info anywhere for UK supplies sets. I have a B6 and B7 and am awaiting a replacement screen for the B7 for screen burn where the ticker tape runs across from both BBC and Sky.

I’m concerned my B6 will go the same way and would like to check the number of hours each has run. Everything I have found showing the location of the hours timer does not appear anywhere in my menu items and I suspect the U.K. supplied sets have a software variation.

Can anyone tell me how to access the hours timer on a UK supplied set?

Software version is 05.30.85

kahlua

Apologies if it’s been asked before, but I cannot find the info anywhere for UK supplies sets. I have a B6 and B7 and am awaiting a replacement screen for the B7 for screen burn where the ticker tape runs across from both BBC and Sky.

I’m concerned my B6 will go the same way and would like to check the number of hours each has run. Everything I have found showing the location of the hours timer does not appear anywhere in my menu items and I suspect the U.K. supplied sets have a software variation.

in the uk its in the service menu,you need a service remote or programmable remote to access it,google is your friend.

Gordons91

I tried Google and couldn’t find anything that would work. Is there a way to access the service menu using the standard remote? I’m grateful for your reply, but really need some more detailed information as my knowledge of these matters is clearly limited because I’ve had to no reason to access other areas before.

Last edited:

sandreuta

Hello,
I don't know if it will make you feel less concerned about yout B6 but:
I have my B6 since it came out (2016) and I've been using it a few hours daily with mixt content (4.x firmware). I also have a C8 since late 2018, used mostly in the same way as my B6.
Neither has no uniformity or burnin issues and I regularly check with different patterns.
Every year I'm thinking that I should upgrade my B6 with the newest LG OLED model, but the truth is that when I turn it on and watch quality content I'm blown away. And I realize that there's no REAL difference (to the eye) between my B6 and mt C8 (no real/visible quality difference between generations). I'm not talking about measurements, features or datasheets.
I would not upgrade my B6 unless it develops a fault or die. Same story with my C8. Everything else is marketing. Looks like OLED will not improve significantly in the near future.

pcaddy

My B6 still looking fantastic, I've always been very happy with it and had no problems. You can use a Harmony remote to enter the service menu if you have one or can borrow one and add the B6 to it, I believe other multi remote controls work too.
Use the Live button on the remote then 0413

prezzy

My B6 still looking fantastic, I've always been very happy with it and had no problems. You can use a Harmony remote to enter the service menu if you have one or can borrow one and add the B6 to it, I believe other multi remote controls work too.
Use the Live button on the remote then 0413
Where does it tell you the hours on? I have never been able to find it on my B6.

I am also another B6 person with zero issues, still very happy with mine.

Gordons91

Many thanks. I have a Harmony remote tucked away in a drawer somewhere, so I will have a search tomorrow. I haven’t used it for years, so will have to read the manual and work my way through.

I was surprised at the burn on the B7 and was all set for a battle with John Lewis/LG, but the engineer was here all of 5 minutes and said immediately I would get a new screen under warranty. I realise there is a lot of what seems fake reports on on forums, but I’m sure I read somewhere that LG had few replacement screens. I’m wondering if they will change any other components as there would appear to be additional software options to prevent screen burn.

I bought the B6 to replace a 60“ Kuro I had for 8 years. Nothing wrong with it at all, but just felt I was living on borrowed time and if it did fail, it may be terminal through lack of spares.

Happy with the B6, so just hope it continues to shine. It’s only three months older than the B7, so still a couple of years warranty left.

pcaddy

@prezzy Yes that is the question, I have looked for it myself but unfortunately I have not been able to find it. I only told you how to get into the service menu as I have used it to check the settings from my calibration after software updates. I have read that the hours of use are in there somewhere but as I said I have never been able to find that info myself. I expect someone else on this thread may be able to help with where it actually is.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom