LG B6 4K Smart OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

If the problem does not resolve? Should I go to where I bought it or to an authorized LG center or I can not do anything?
If it's not the cables, it's a TV setting or an issue with how the sources and TV are communicating capabilities. I'm sure dune persistence will uncover the issue.

Are to watching the HDR content in a dark room?

I wish I had tried this test on 4.31.25, just so I could of seen the difference if any, but because I hardly can tell in normal viewing conditions its not a big deal.
The screen would have been black with 04.31.25 installed. I checked mine at the weekend whilst calibrating for HDR content, and it's back when fed a 0% stimulus signal.
I have no doubt the elevated blacks of the latest firmwares are typically not noticeable when viewing content but that's not the point of this test. I'm glad it's not an issue for you though. That's important.

It's pretty clear now, with your contribution in performing this test, and others, the latest FW update has not fixed the general glowing black issue we all hoped it would.

Paul

Not sure if coincidence or not, but having installed the latest firmware an old issue has raised it’s head.

Watching the first couple of episodes of Westworld season 2 via Sky Q last night, whenever there is a dark scene the picture becomes an annoying flickering mess.

I used to get this issue a couple of years ago watching season 1 of Blacklist via Sky Q, but firmware updates fixed it.

Anyone know if this issue is content related or the TV?

I checked mine at the weekend whilst calibrating for HDR content, and it's back when fed a 0% stimulus signal.
Paul
You calibrated or recalibrated your tv? I'm still looking for the confirmation that I'm not crazy and it is more pink now.

You calibrated or recalibrated your tv? I'm still looking for the confirmation that I'm not crazy and it is more pink now.
That reads like you think I have the latest firmware on my B6?! I don't. I'm still on v04.31.25. But it was a recalibration. :smashin:

Paul

Have not noticed pinkish whites myself with 5.30.25, I did a reset after update and all wb and colour management settings are default.

I remember an over greenish tone before on earlier firmwares but don't see that either now.

Have not noticed pinkish whites myself with 5.30.25, I did a reset after update and all wb and colour management settings are default.

I remember an over greenish tone before on earlier firmwares but don't see that either now.
This is interesting and along with loky's findings, would suggest LG have altered the service menu white balance settings with the new FW version.

Paul

That reads like you think I have the latest firmware on my B6?! I don't. I'm still on v04.31.25. But it was a recalibration. :smashin:
Paul
I'm sorry then. I don't know why I assumed that you are on latest fw.

Thank you, but it must be professionally calibrated tv. With the default settings it is not pinkish, it's still a bit greenish though.

Is anyone here with professionally calibrated b6 with 05.30.25 fw?

Are to watching the HDR content in a dark room?

Paul
Yes, mostly in the evening.

As soon as the cables arrive I try and then update.

ps. I'm sure dune persistence will uncover the issue. --> What does "dune" mean?

Has anyone tried returning their TV to John Lewis with the raised blacks issue? Any success?

What was the outcome - refund, replacement, fix, nothing?

Thank you, but it must be professionally calibrated tv. With the default settings it is not pinkish, it's still a bit greenish though.

All i'm saying is I don't notice pinkish whites or greenish tones on latest firmware and its uncalibrated.

This is interesting and along with loky's findings, would suggest LG have altered the service menu white balance settings with the new FW version.

Paul

Take my findings with a pinch of salt:), but I would say that green tones seemed reduced, I seem to remember noticing a mucky green in skin tones on earlier firmwares and I don't seem to notice this now.

ps. I'm sure dune persistence will uncover the issue. --> What does "dune" mean?
Ha ha. It means the auto correct on my phone is an idiot. Or more accurately, the auto correct on my phone doesn't seem to work very well with the AVF's web interface.

I must say, using this forum via my phone is horrible, due to 'miss typing' and that the fixes to those typing 'issues' just don't fix them as they would anywhere else.

Paul

No problem :smashin: I thought it was some technological jargon. In another language it is hard. :rotfl:

Ha ha. It means the auto correct on my phone is an idiot. Or more accurately, the auto correct on my phone doesn't seem to work very well with the AVF's web interface.

I must say, using this forum via my phone is horrible, due to 'miss typing' and that the fixes to those typing 'issues' just don't fix them as they would anywhere else.

Paul

I use to get all that miss typing using my tablet it was really annoying but it only happens on AVforums, I found out that it was Chrome causing it, I switched to Firefox browser and never had a mistype since.

Excellent, we got there in the end.
You're right, near black sides would be a waste of time when trying to test for perfect black. 0% or black slides are perfect for the job, as you've demonstrated.

Paul

Just a little update, when I did the previous test near black video you linked me I forgot I had the picture mode on standard or it may of been photo mode, both use high oled light and likely other processing junk and something with these modes really brighten the screen with the near black video.

I tried again tonight and switched to ISF dark and tried different brightness levels.

Oled light was at 40

Brightness 52, could clearly see glow, screen greyish.
Brightness 51, much less glow but still a faint greyish look to blacks
Brightness 50, screen virtually disappears, blacks are almost perfect, have to really look hard for the glow. It's there but very very little.

Just a little update, when I did the previous test near black video you linked me I forgot I had the picture mode on standard or it may of been photo mode, both use high oled light and likely other processing junk and something with these modes really brighten the screen with the near black video.

I tried again tonight and switched to ISF dark and tried different brightness levels.

Oled light was at 40

Brightness 50, screen virtually disappears, blacks are almost perfect, have to really look hard for the glow. It's there but very very little.

Did you scrutinise the previous 'non-glowing' firmware as closely though? I haven't had a chance to test with the slide yet, as it doesn't get pitch dark till late and I'm in bed early because of work, so will have to withhold my own results. Still perfectly content with normal content though, so don't really care if I do have slight glow with one slide. The TV disappearing as it did before, is good enough for me.

Did you scrutinise the previous 'non-glowing' firmware as closely though? I haven't had a chance to test with the slide yet, as it doesn't get pitch dark till late and I'm in bed early because of work, so will have to withhold my own results. Still perfectly content with normal content though, so don't really care if I do have slight glow with one slide. The TV disappearing as it did before, is good enough for me.

That's something I wish I had tried before I updated to 5.30.03 and then the latest firmware. Like you I'm not to concerned about a bit of glow in a slide if I don't see it in normal content. I just like to test these things to confirm any issues that may help other's.

I posted the other day that I noticed this glow in some content on Netflix when a few scenes faded to pitch darkness for a number of seconds but it was far worse than what I saw in the slides on the same settings so I think that was the Netflix show more than the glow issue.

That seems to be the consensus. I.e. v05.30.25 hasn't fixed the floating blacks but, they're visually better than they were with the v05.30.03/ 10 firmwares.

Paul

That seems to be the consensus. I.e. v05.30.25 hasn't fixed the floating blacks but, they're visually better than they were with the v05.30.03/ 10 firmwares.

Paul
Are other B6 owners that either downgraded from firmware 05.30.03 or never installed it to prevent black glow issue currently getting prompted by the TV to download/install 05.30.03 rather than the new 05.30.25? If anyone has upgraded OTA in the past few days from 04.xx.xx, did you actually get 05.30.25 even when the TV prompt claimed 05.30.03? I find it most peculiar that LG would retain a superseded firmware on the OTA servers.

Are other B6 owners that either downgraded from firmware 05.30.03 or never installed it to prevent black glow issue currently getting prompted by the TV to download/install 05.30.03 rather than the new 05.30.25? If anyone has upgraded OTA in the past few days from 04.xx.xx, did you actually get 05.30.25 even when the TV prompt claimed 05.30.03? I find it most peculiar that LG would retain a superseded firmware on the OTA servers.
On my one, always prompted by the TV to install 05.30.03, never seen 5.30.25 (I did the downgrade)

I'm not getting prompted as I'm blocking the TV from accessing the LG domain.

I agree though, it is odd if everyone's B6 is prompting to install and installing the older firmware, OTA.

Paul

They roll out firmware in waves OTA. I'm not surprised people are still being automatically linked to the previous one.

Just waiting to turn my TV back on, put it in standby half hour ago to pop out and it went into clean panel mode, I'll give it another three quarters of an hour should be all done by then. My third panel cleaning so I've been watching for over 6,000 hours, still looking as good as new, what a lovely bit of kit this telly is. It must be a B6,000 hour's :D

Maybe you can only update to the .25 if you've already updated to the .03. Just a thought.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom