Quantcast

LG B6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 6

gunner84

I’ll be leaving mine on 4.31.25, the only Dolby vision over hdmi I watch is all via Apple TV and Apple seem to have fixed the issue ages ago.

I used to see raised black in that will smith film bright but it no longer does it and has never done it with any purchased movie from iTunes so I’m good where I am.

The weird inconsistency with people who don’t see the raised black level brought on by the firmware update is simply people not knowing how to look for it (imo) if your on a firmware that begins with 5 on a B6 then you don’t have perfect black, simple as that I’m afraid.

Oh and those on a 5 firmware saying your menus don’t lag, pass a 4K hdr signal through your tv, doesn’t matter what and then try make picture adjustments and come back and tell me you have no lag...
I'm going to test tonight with the correct test files as mentioned on here and report back, as for the menu lag, I have noticed slight lag when receiving a HDR signal, to me thats not a big issue, its not like im going into the menus to make PQ adjustments all the time.

gunner84

The near black patterns won't be of use to you for this test. Not a dig at you but this type of misinformation is part of the problem!
You need a full field, 0% stimulus (black) slide. You can find one in the CalMAN section, 11 step grayscale, chapter 2. When you have it displayed, let you eyes adjust to the darkness (I think each chapter runs for 30 second or so, but click back if needed) then get up very close to the bottom right hand corner of the screen and check to see if the screen is off or not. It's actually quite obvious if it's not off, using this method.

If you have a Blu-ray player with USB socket, you can use that too, to substitute as an HDMI source.

This is a suitable test for and FW version.

ETA: There's also a 0% pattern in the 21 step grayscale in the CalMAN section, chapter 2.

Paul
Can I just confirm this is to test the separate issue on the B6 (black glow)?

Not the other issue with DV raised blacks.

L30Z3N

I’ll be leaving mine on 4.31.25, the only Dolby vision over hdmi I watch is all via Apple TV and Apple seem to have fixed the issue ages ago.

I used to see raised black in that will smith film bright but it no longer does it and has never done it with any purchased movie from iTunes so I’m good where I am.

The weird inconsistency with people who don’t see the raised black level brought on by the firmware update is simply people not knowing how to look for it (imo) if your on a firmware that begins with 5 on a B6 then you don’t have perfect black, simple as that I’m afraid.

Oh and those on a 5 firmware saying your menus don’t lag, pass a 4K hdr signal through your tv, doesn’t matter what and then try make picture adjustments and come back and tell me you have no lag...
Probably you're right but until people who installed last beta try it as good we're not be able to know for sure if is still glows blacks or not.

So we're ask them to try this new beta release gently as soon you can to test it with blacks 0% full field pattern in a completely dark room from USB and from Blu-ray player too if you have it. Until then we will never knows...

Many thanks all of you!

Leo.

Acecross

Y
Thank you so much for your response reply!

Did you make a factory reset as well don't you?

So there's nothing else to do with our B6 if this last beta didn't work, just keeping using the old firmware 04.31.25 working good without any blacks issues, but without as well HLG (who cares).

Leo.
Yes. Factory reset tried too. No luck i’m afraid.

Acecross

When you state "I've tried the various solutions", what have you actually tried?

Also, what sources have you evaluated? It reads as though you've only checked the onboard YouTube app, with a dubious 'test pattern', of which you have no way of knowing if it's using the correct video levels?!

Paul
Apologies if I was not clear. My B6 was calibrated by Jules as was my E6 so I can compare the same content on both. Both have Apple TV 4K, Panasonic UB900 and inbuilt apps of course.

The dubious test pattern on YouTube I’ve used for many sets many times - it’s a simple and repeatable test and although I appreciate it’s not perhaps 100% scientific, on my E6 and previously on the B6 the YouTube video does not glow at all. I’ve also tested content through the Apple TV and again on the E6 scenes that I know should be black are black - on the B6 they are not. They glow. It’s the same with known 0IRE slides.

I’ve tried dropping brightness levels, I’ve tried edited the white balance settings in the service menu, disabling the auto backlight and basically everything that could bring down the brightness and effect blacks. Nothing works. You can turn the brightness, contrast etc to 0 and the glow still exists.

When you look at the screen in a pitch black room after your eyes adapt you can see the screen has a consistent glow. It looks grey. If you look up close this is actually made up of a number of lighter patches of multiple pixels.

Even though you can’t see the glow specifically when watching a movie you can tell the black level is not as it should be. I watch the opening to Star Wars on my E6 and the black background fades between the Lucasfilm logo and the opening credits fade to absolute black and my theatre room goes pitch black. On the B6 they don’t - there is still some light in the room from the TV which is visibly glowing grey.

When switching inputs on the B6 there are periods where it does go pitch black - so it’s definitely something keeping the pixels from turning off completely when it’s receiving a signal. The main point is it used to be perfect - nothing has changed other than the firmware. I’ve updated to several versions and had glow. Rolled back, no glow.

There is either still a fundamental issue with the firmware or an issue with my set triggered by the newer firmwares. Either way it doesn’t work as it used to, should do or as my other OLED does.

gunner84

Probably you're right but until people who installed last beta try it as good we're not be able to know for sure if is still glows blacks or not.

So we're ask them to try this new beta release gently as soon you can to test it with blacks 0% full field pattern in a completely dark room from USB and from Blu-ray player too if you have it. Until then we will never knows...

Many thanks all of you!

Leo.
As much as I want to test this I can't for the life of me find the correct file to play.:facepalm:

I have that AVS HD709 mp4 file on USB you linked me, but finding the correct folder is quite difficult, there are about 12 main folders and 3 of them are called Calman APL, Calman Fields and Calman windows I think.
Inside these folders is more folders called greyscale and then tons of videos within these.

dimipapa

Novice Member
No, I'll not be updating until I have a high degree of confidence the SDR 'floating black' issue is fixed. The mixed reports currently available aren't helping anyone in that respect and I don't believe displays of the same model behave differently, with the same firmware being used. The LEDs can either switch off when fed a 'black' video level or they can't and thus the issue is either fixed or it's not.

The variables seem to be:
  1. Test method - it's a simple test which most can replicate but, it's not being used by all accounts.
  2. Sources used - sporadically reported.
  3. Picture settings - again, easy to replicate but appears to be being missed.
  4. Knowing what to look for - covered to death in this thread but, appears to be inconsistent in reports.
  5. Confusing the issues - the SDR floating black and DV incorrect black levels issues are separate.
Paul

so-we still have no safe conclusions(?)

CrispyDio

If this is the final B6 firmware and people who update to it are stuck with an OLED TV that no longer has infinite contrast ratio, so no longer qualifies as premium certified UHD, do we have any consumer rights?

dimipapa

Novice Member
If this is the final B6 firmware and people who update to it are stuck with an OLED TV that no longer has infinite contrast ratio, so no longer qualifies as premium certified UHD, do we have any consumer rights?
the issue is what we can do;
group complaint;
i dont know..

Bluenight

Same here. I stay on 04.31.25

Stirling1978

Just gonna throw some fuel on the fire.
I’ve had my B6 since easter last year.
Had the glowing blacks, rolled back firmware, updated and rolled back several times, until I wanted HLG for the world cup.
Have updated to this latest firmware, and can still get glowing blacks on any content, SDR or HDR if the Oled light is over 50ish.
I’m sure on this latest firmware it is bot quite as pronounced as tbe last couple of firmwares.
Now, we’ve just had an extention built, and bought a second hand E6, for the built in soundbar (the wife doesnt want another room full of speakers) and 3D.
I have installed the latest firmware on this, and I am able to re-produce the glowing blacks by raising the Oled level on this too.
So this seems to be a wider spread issue than just the B6, and wonder if future firmwares will affect all LG’s.
I must point out also, that I can only really notice the glow, when Oled light is high, and my eyeballs are virtually touching the screen in a virtually pitch black room.
I still think the picture on both tv’s is stunning, and although this glow wasn’t there in the 04 firmware (cant comment on E6 as already had 05 firmware, and only went looking for glow tonight) and its dissapointing that it is there now, it still blows virtually every other tv i’ve seen out of tbe water.

DJJez

What is exact issue with new firmware?? Does it fix dull hdr game mode?

Acecross

Just gonna throw some fuel on the fire.
I’ve had my B6 since easter last year.
Had the glowing blacks, rolled back firmware, updated and rolled back several times, until I wanted HLG for the world cup.
Have updated to this latest firmware, and can still get glowing blacks on any content, SDR or HDR if the Oled light is over 50ish.
I’m sure on this latest firmware it is bot quite as pronounced as tbe last couple of firmwares.
Now, we’ve just had an extention built, and bought a second hand E6, for the built in soundbar (the wife doesnt want another room full of speakers) and 3D.
I have installed the latest firmware on this, and I am able to re-produce the glowing blacks by raising the Oled level on this too.
So this seems to be a wider spread issue than just the B6, and wonder if future firmwares will affect all LG’s.
I must point out also, that I can only really notice the glow, when Oled light is high, and my eyeballs are virtually touching the screen in a virtually pitch black room.
I still think the picture on both tv’s is stunning, and although this glow wasn’t there in the 04 firmware (cant comment on E6 as already had 05 firmware, and only went looking for glow tonight) and its dissapointing that it is there now, it still blows virtually every other tv i’ve seen out of tbe water.
Whilst you may be able to re-create the glow on the E6 by altering the settings the question is can you remove the glow? If you drop brightness to zero what happens?

These OLEDs have always delivered non-black blacks if you have the brightness only a few clicks too high. However it was also possible to have perfect blacks. My E6 is on the newest firmware and I see perfect blacks - no issues. The B6 does not respond in the same way and I am 100% confident there is an issue. As to whether this is an issue on all panels or only some, who knows.

Stirling1978

Whilst you may be able to re-create the glow on the E6 by altering the settings the question is can you remove the glow? If you drop brightness to zero what happens?

These OLEDs have always delivered non-black blacks if you have the brightness only a few clicks too high. However it was also possible to have perfect blacks. My E6 is on the newest firmware and I see perfect blacks - no issues. The B6 does not respond in the same way and I am 100% confident there is an issue. As to whether this is an issue on all panels or only some, who knows.
I am not touching the brightness, it happens when oled light is raised.
This is why originally i thought only HDR modes were affected, but if i raise the oled light on SDR material i can see the glow.
My point is that it seems this issue is not exclusive to the B6 as it is also there on the E6 too.

Acecross

I am not touching the brightness, it happens when oled light is raised.
This is why originally i thought only HDR modes were affected, but if i raise the oled light on SDR material i can see the glow.
My point is that it seems this issue is not exclusive to the B6 as it is also there on the E6 too.
Ok. But what happens if you do reduce the brightness? On the B6 this issue is there regardless of settings. It can’t be removed even with OLED light at 0 and brightness at 0. The screen still glows. If you are saying the issue is there on the E6 but you can reduce it using the OLED light it’s not the same as the B6 issue. If you could try reducing the brightness to see if you can remove the glow that would be interesting. My E6 definitely does not suffer from the glow on the newest firmware.

Stirling1978

Ok. But what happens if you do reduce the brightness? On the B6 this issue is there regardless of settings. It can’t be removed even with OLED light at 0 and brightness at 0. The screen still glows. If you are saying the issue is there on the E6 but you can reduce it using the OLED light it’s not the same as the B6 issue. If you could try reducing the brightness to see if you can remove the glow that would be interesting. My E6 definitely does not suffer from the glow on the newest firmware.
I can’t see the glow on my B6 unless the oled light is around 50 or above.

Acecross

I can’t see the glow on my B6 unless the oled light is around 50 or above.
Ok. My OLED light is normally set at 42 and glow is still there - brightness is at 51. I can drop both to 0 and glow is still there so I think our issues are not the same.

SeeMoreDigital

Hi all,

Firmware version 05.30.25 dated 25-06-2018 is now available for download:

LG OLED55B6V Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.
Code:
Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information  
1. Improvement  
 1) Fix that volume is changed to be zero by Peel Remote App during watching TV 

2. Applicable model list  
70UH700V-ZA 
65UH770V-ZA 
55UH770V-ZA 
49UH770V-ZA 
60UH7707-ZA 
60UH7709-ZA 
60UH770V-ZA 
65UH7707-ZA 
65UH7709-ZA 
49UH7707-ZA 
49UH7709-ZA 
55UH7707-ZA 
55UH7709-ZA 
OLED55B6V-Z 
OLED65B6V-Z 
OLED55B6D-Z 
OLED65B6D-Z 
OLED55B6J-Z 
OLED65B6J-Z 

3. Release History  
[04.30.65] 
1. Improve the Sony PS4 Pro no signal issue (HDCP fail) 
2. Improve the Tricolor satellite channel crash. (Russia) 

[04.31.10] 
1. Improve the sound Hum noise 
2. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag 

[04.31.25] 
1. Improved the problem that HEVC Channel Reset Issue 
2. Radio Equipment Directive  Standard applied 

[05.30.03] 
1. Added notification pop up for when app is no longer supported 
2. Change in background image of no signal screen 
3. Change in Amazon HDR mode  

[05.30.25] 
1. Fix that volume is changed to be zero by Peel Remote App during watching TV
Cheers

Jake87

Hi all,

Firmware version 05.30.25 dated 25-06-2018 is now available for download:

LG OLED55B6V Product Support :Manuals, Warranty & More | LG U.K.
Code:
Detailed applicable model list : Please check with reference Tab exactly
* SW information 
1. Improvement 
 1) Fix that volume is changed to be zero by Peel Remote App during watching TV

2. Applicable model list 
70UH700V-ZA
65UH770V-ZA
55UH770V-ZA
49UH770V-ZA
60UH7707-ZA
60UH7709-ZA
60UH770V-ZA
65UH7707-ZA
65UH7709-ZA
49UH7707-ZA
49UH7709-ZA
55UH7707-ZA
55UH7709-ZA
OLED55B6V-Z
OLED65B6V-Z
OLED55B6D-Z
OLED65B6D-Z
OLED55B6J-Z
OLED65B6J-Z

3. Release History 
[04.30.65]
1. Improve the Sony PS4 Pro no signal issue (HDCP fail)
2. Improve the Tricolor satellite channel crash. (Russia)

[04.31.10]
1. Improve the sound Hum noise
2. Add the HDR Game mode to improve the input lag

[04.31.25]
1. Improved the problem that HEVC Channel Reset Issue
2. Radio Equipment Directive  Standard applied

[05.30.03]
1. Added notification pop up for when app is no longer supported
2. Change in background image of no signal screen
3. Change in Amazon HDR mode 

[05.30.25]
1. Fix that volume is changed to be zero by Peel Remote App during watching TV