LG B6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey fellow members.
So I have a B6 reserved for collection tomorrow and I'm in two minds about it. After moving in with my partner I'm currently using a 2008 32" Samsung LCD which is doing the job for now. Is everyone generally happy with their set? Is it worth the £1449 cost?
I'm also probably going to use Richer Sounds 12 month payment which works out around £100/m. I bought a DX902 a few months back before returning it due to not liking the viewing angles. That was a great TV despite that one flaw.
Thanks for any advice or information anyone can spare.

Thank you.

I'd say yes. If viewing angles are important (they were to me) then OLED really is the only game in town.

yes ,in ps4,limited and black level low, the black is black,not grey.(seems ok)
but ,in ps3,limited and black level low, the black is grey...so it makes me Confused....

I had already gotten rid of my PS3 when getting this TV so I'm unable to comment on your issue. On PS4 standard I used to have an issue with Bluray movies that the blacks were greyed out even though settings were correct on both PS4 and TV end. On PS4 Pro it seems I don't have this issue but I'm mostly using Xbox One for Bluray anyway.

Hi guys,

I'll throw my dirty laundry in the mix:

RS for £1449 ordered yesterday came today. Not blown away at all. Current issues terrible motion flaws on Sky HD footy, not impressed in the slightest. Any panning results in a blurred mess. Unacceptable at this price point (and it was 3 grand!) Have adjusted settings from RS which has bleached the picture. Sports mode is a vivid mess.

HDR is really impressive and Sky movies hd. Dolby vision won't work on this and no answer from RS or Netflix.

May try the E model but not sure at this point. Bad panel?

Gazza

Hi guys,

RS for £1449 ordered yesterday came today. Not blown away at all. Current issues terrible motion flaws on Sky HD footy, not impressed in the slightest. Any panning results in a blurred mess. Unacceptable at this price point (and it was 3 grand!) Have adjusted settings from RS which has bleached the picture. Sports mode is a vivid mess.

HDR is really impressive and Sky movies hd. Dolby vision won't work on this and no answer from RS or Netflix.

Gazza

Why are you using Sports mode? Do not use that, ever.

Try putting it on ISF Dark or Bright, adjusting the brightness to 51 and then turning off all picture processing

Hi guys,

Gazza

Which TV did you have previously?

Hey fellow members.
So I have a B6 reserved for collection tomorrow and I'm in two minds about it. After moving in with my partner I'm currently using a 2008 32" Samsung LCD which is doing the job for now. Is everyone generally happy with their set? Is it worth the £1449 cost?
I'm also probably going to use Richer Sounds 12 month payment which works out around £100/m. I bought a DX902 a few months back before returning it due to not liking the viewing angles. That was a great TV despite that one flaw.
Thanks for any advice or information anyone can spare.

Thank you.

Driving home from the store with the B6 in the back. Lovely service and even knocked off £100 for me. I will hopefully have this set up this evening and look forward to enjoying an OLED.

Driving home from the store with the B6 in the back. Lovely service and even knocked off £100 for me. I will hopefully have this set up this evening and look forward to enjoying an OLED.

Looking forward to your feedback. I'm ready to go 4k now there is enough content to justify it but I'm torn between the lg b6 or going all in and buying the Sony a1. Will save a fortune with the lg but I'm not sure whether I'm going to fall into the it's stunning (loads of 5 star reviews and superb user reviews) group or I'm going to sit there seeing picture issues thinking I should have spent the extra? If you read all the John Lewis/richer sounds reviews then 99% think it's the best tv out there. Av forums paints a different picture but then there seems to be negatives on every tv

Looking forward to your feedback. I'm ready to go 4k now there is enough content to justify it but I'm torn between the lg b6 or going all in and buying the Sony a1. Will save a fortune with the lg but I'm not sure whether I'm going to fall into the it's stunning (loads of 5 star reviews and superb user reviews) group or I'm going to sit there seeing picture issues thinking I should have spent the extra? If you read all the John Lewis/richer sounds reviews then 99% think it's the best tv out there. Av forums paints a different picture but then there seems to be negatives on every tv

You could spend more and still get issues.
To be fair, i couldn't be happier with my B6. The new sets may be a slight improvement, but seriously, not enough to warrant the extra cash.

Also bare in mind that the nature of people, particularly us brits, is to complain when things go wrong. If someone has an issue with a tv you'll be sure to hear about it on a forum like this. The same isn't true of positive feedback. It's less common for people to actively seek out people to tell them how awesome their new tv is. People generally come to forums and write reviews when there's something they need help with our wish to critique. The total number of oled owners will be fairly large compared to the number who are members of this forum perhaps. So only reading negative reports isn't really getting the whole picture.

From my own personal perspective, does my c6 have a few issues? Yes. Would I exchange it for anything else? Never. Still gives a fantastic picture even out of the box, twenty times better than any other tv I've owned :)

I've had my B6 for almost a year, paid full price for it when it was released - I'm still delighted with it and don't care that it's now available for basically half what I bought it for. The only issue I ever had was the micro-stutter that was resolved.

I've never owned a TV as well supported as this one, especially in terms of features being added. There are some on here that moan (and moan and moan and moan) that the US get their firmware updates much quicker than here, but they always come out here eventually.

Having seen the Sony OLED in action, I genuinely can't see any significant difference - certainly not £2k's worth

Why are you using Sports mode? Do not use that, ever.

Try putting it on ISF Dark or Bright, adjusting the brightness to 51 and then turning off all picture processing

Thanks Joe will try that. Well as there is a sports mode I thought I'd try it as was excellent on the Sammy 8 series I'm also trialing at the moment. You'd expect it to be half decent but as I'm sure you know its a mess.

Which TV did you have previously?

Previous TV was a superb sony 46hx853 and was it not for HDR and Dolby Vision it would still be sitting proudly on my tv table. Also had a Sammy 55 Plasma so know this will be different.

I'm starting to warm to it on the gaming and movie side. Disappointed Netflix has no major movies in 4k though.

Shame football seems so bad on it. Will mess some more with the settings.
Is there a problem with the LG Netflix Ap on Dolby Vision? That still won't work and have wasted an hour between netflix customer service and RS with no resolution.

Thanks Joe will try that. Well as there is a sports mode I thought I'd try it as was excellent on the Sammy 8 series I'm also trialing at the moment. You'd expect it to be half decent but as I'm sure you know its a mess.

Previous TV was a superb sony 46hx853 and was it not for HDR and Dolby Vision it would still be sitting proudly on my tv table. Also had a Sammy 55 Plasma so know this will be different.

I'm starting to warm to it on the gaming and movie side. Disappointed Netflix has no major movies in 4k though.

Is there a problem with the LG Netflix Ap on Dolby Vision? That still won't work and have wasted an hour between netflix customer service and RS with no resolution.

What are you trying to watch in Dolby Vision, as only a few shows are in DV. And do you have the 4k subscription?

What are you trying to watch in Dolby Vision, as only a few shows are in DV. And do you have the 4k subscription?
the netflix app is fine, dolby vision looks great on the few things available,marco polo for me being the best example,as stirling1978 says do you have the 4k sub,how are you watching football,i have a humax freesat box and football looks superb.

Marco Polo, Iron Fist. Menu is showing them and dollby vision is recognised by the set but then stalls on 95% and errors. HDR and 4k stuff is fine as watching Crouching Tiger at the mo

the netflix app is fine, dolby vision looks great on the few things available,marco polo for me being the best example,as stirling1978 says do you have the 4k sub,how are you watching football,i have a humax freesat box and football looks superb.

Sky HD (not Q) box for the footy everything else seems superb in a dark room. Some reviewers mention average upscaling. Was thinking of trying the e model as you get 3d and a sound bar (not sure how much difference this will make).

Thanks for the replies

The A1 has only been out a few weeks, and even in that short time, one is about to be returned for having a pink tint and banding, another had a cluster of problematic pixels, one had strange lines that started after about 30 mins ...

Imagine how many reports there will be when the A1 has been out as long as the b6 has or when more people start snapping them up prior to the 2018 range

None of them are problem free, it all feels like a bit of a gamble (that is is you are looking for perfection)

If your picky you can pay £5000, you'll still find an issue, if you have more realistic expectations you will be delighted with the B6

Personally my expectations are probably far too high, I don't think I'll ever be happy

Also bare in mind that the nature of people, particularly us brits, is to complain when things go wrong. If someone has an issue with a tv you'll be sure to hear about it on a forum like this. The same isn't true of positive feedback. It's less common for people to actively seek out people to tell them how awesome their new tv is. People generally come to forums and write reviews when there's something they need help with our wish to critique. The total number of oled owners will be fairly large compared to the number who are members of this forum perhaps. So only reading negative reports isn't really getting the whole picture.

From my own personal perspective, does my c6 have a few issues? Yes. Would I exchange it for anything else? Never. Still gives a fantastic picture even out of the box, twenty times better than any other tv I've owned :)
Damn straight.

I pop into this thread every few days to see what's happening with regards to firmware updates, but aside from that I'm just over here enjoying my telly.

Marco Polo, Iron Fist. Menu is showing them and dollby vision is recognised by the set but then stalls on 95% and errors. HDR and 4k stuff is fine as watching Crouching Tiger at the mo

Sky HD (not Q) box for the footy everything else seems superb in a dark room. Some reviewers mention average upscaling. Was thinking of trying the e model as you get 3d and a sound bar (not sure how much difference this will make).

Thanks for the replies
sky hd is not held in the highest regard for picture quality,have you all the basics right,isf dark set contrast and brightness for your room,all processing off,is your broadband up to streaming dv.

Had my 65B6 calibrated today by @Canary_Jules

Its likes having a new TV , the picture is blowing me away all over again. Highly recommended.

sky hd is not held in the highest regard for picture quality,have you all the basics right,isf dark set contrast and brightness for your room,all processing off,is your broadband up to streaming dv.

Yer I always thought BT HD seemed better. All bases covered thanks and yer I got some settings from Richer Sounds that has improved it. Football still looks a blurry mess. Will have to test another source. Gaming, Netflix 4K and HDR all superb. Stuck on vision still though.

Had my 65B6 calibrated today by @Canary_Jules

Its likes having a new TV , the picture is blowing me away all over again. Highly recommended.
What basic settings do you have in dark room? Are your settings a lot different to the av settings vid. I'm finding whites are not white on things like adverts when I know the solid colour should be bright white, it's a dull image I see, anyone else notice this? I have it on warm 1

What basic settings do you have in dark room? Are your settings a lot different to the av settings vid. I'm finding whites are not white on things like adverts when I know the solid colour should be bright white, it's a dull image I see, anyone else notice this? I have it on warm 1
I'll dig the settings out tomorrow but the problem you're describing sounds like the abl kicking in

Hi all , i think my b6 just died just turned itself off now when trying to power on i get the standby red light flashing and makes the clicking sound and thats it i unplugged from mains also dissconnected other devices and same

i can power it on like normal with remote the standby light goes away but screen doesnt come on and then pressing power on it turns off as normal the screen remains blank

anyone had this ?

Thanks

Last edited:
I've had my b6 for about 2 weeks now and I am loving it after upgrading from a 10 year old Panasonic tv. The image is just outstanding.

I do have one problem though, the Netflix app stops working after the tv is turned off, the only way to get it working properly again is to uninstall and reinstall app. Obviously this is not ideal.

Most nights the tv is turned off by the sleep timer usually set to an hour and a program or film will still be streaming at the time. When the tv is turned on again the Netflix app is either stuck on a black screen or the app will open but won't respond to input from the remote. Currently it is stuck on the who's watching screen, the cursor will move around the screen but selecting a user does nothing.

I'm not seeing this in any other apps and have tested with Amazon, now tv and capital radio apps, also with live tv. The problem each time is just with the Netflix app on the tv, Netflix still works normally through the PS4.

Hopefully you guys will have some ideas.

If you are coming from a 6 year old LCD TV and are not blown away by a B6 OLED there can only be 2 issues:

1. You are using the incorrect picture settings and are not familiar with changing specific settings to obtain the best viewing experience for your viewing environment. (since you selected sports mode this might be true)
2. Your eyes have been completely screwed by over the top contrast, dreadful colour formation and the god awful blacks of LCD/LED that subconsciously you think this abysmal LCD artificial image quality is the true representaion of an impeccable, high quality, true to life viewing experience.

I seriously hope you do not possess issue No.2 but if you do, return your b6 OLED so someone more worthy of it can enjoy it and shower it with love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom