LG B6 OLED TV Owners and Discussion Thread - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
LG really need to fix the picture mode settings. When you set up the settings you want for isfdark for example, not all are copied and saved for all inputs. You have to manually go in and set for each one. Frustrating.

LG really need to fix the picture mode settings. When you set up the settings you want for isfdark for example, not all are copied and saved for all inputs. You have to manually go in and set for each one. Frustrating.

No you don't - there's an option to copy to every input.

Well, you learn something every day!

hello all,
I have a OLED55 B6 on order with John Lewis, delivery is in a weeks time. I have a question though and was wondering if anyone on this board can answer.
Concerning image retention/screen burn, (I will refer to this as "IR/SB") if I watch a movie in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the black bars will not cause IR/SB because those black bars are made up of pixels that are actually off, rather than pixels that are producing a static black image. Am I correct? If so can the same be said of the vertical black bars at the side when watching in an aspect ration of 4:3? Lastly does the John Lewis guarantee cover image retention or screen burn?
Why then does the manual for the TV warn against watching 4:3 aspect ration for an extended time?

There are a quite a few repair centre up and down the country that do work on behalf of currys /pc world etc. I will do some digging and find out as I have sold tooling to these places before for repairing the goods.

Well
The seller of LG b6 which is on eBay for £1200 (auction) has come back to me.
They brought it from a sons friend who sells them ex display with 5 year warranty (currys). They are going to get the original receipt and send me photos of it,there are scratches on the stand which I ain't bothered about.

What are everyone's thoughts? If I get the original receipt and transfer the warranty successfully then surely it would be ok?

Well
The seller of LG b6 which is on eBay for £1200 (auction) has come back to me.
They brought it from a sons friend who sells them ex display with 5 year warranty (currys). They are going to get the original receipt and send me photos of it,there are scratches on the stand which I ain't bothered about.

What are everyone's thoughts? If I get the original receipt and transfer the warranty successfully then surely it would be ok?

Sorry for filling the post but I have managed to find out more details.
The LG sets on eBay are being sold in retford,after a search there is a LG mobile phone repair centre in retford!(Coincidence)?

A lot of these sets on eBay have a phone number listed which turns out to be Kc sound and vision(Kingston) even though the location on eBay still says retford. Anyone had any dealings with kc sound and vision?

Last edited:
Personally I'd be extremely cautious about spending such a large amount of money on eBay for something like this.

Normally if the price sounds too good to be true it's because it is.

I wouldn't touch them with someone else's!!! I also would doubt the validity of the warranty. Do yourself a favour and pay the extra to get one from somewhere else, and get the piece of mind that comes with doing that too [emoji106]

hello all,
I have a OLED55 B6 on order with John Lewis, delivery is in a weeks time. I have a question though and was wondering if anyone on this board can answer.
Concerning image retention/screen burn, (I will refer to this as "IR/SB") if I watch a movie in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, the black bars will not cause IR/SB because those black bars are made up of pixels that are actually off, rather than pixels that are producing a static black image. Am I correct? If so can the same be said of the vertical black bars at the side when watching in an aspect ration of 4:3? Lastly does the John Lewis guarantee cover image retention or screen burn?
Why then does the manual for the TV warn against watching 4:3 aspect ration for an extended time?

Image retention and screen-burn are two separate issues and should not be confused. Screen burn is permanent and is not possible with these 2016 sets because of the compensation cycle run when you turn off the set after prolonged usage (4 hours).

Image retention is temporary and yes, if you watch a film with any black borders, then watch a full screen image afterwards, you will indeed see those lines for a while until you turn the set off and the compensation cycle clears them up.

No problem. It is worth mentioning that on very rare occasions you will notice this in gaming too. Something like The Witness, that produces a static bright white image on screen for a minute or so, will leave a mark for a few seconds, upon resuming movement. That is the only occasion I have ever noticed IR when gaming though.

Yep and when I've had it you can see the IR disappear it's that quick. Don't worry about it [emoji106]

I had a contrasty image on for about a minute and when it switched to another image (my rotating wallpapers in Windows) I briefly saw some retention but it vanished within seconds.

Last edited:
I generally see it in Xplay that the thumbnails retain for a second or so, but not in anything else

I'm find this whole OLED-light vs Contrast (and brightness)-thing very confusing. It looks like it does the same in many ways, even though I know it shouldn't/doesn't.

For example, when calibrating the black level with the use of a THX-disc both raising the OLED-light and raising the brightness make more "black boxes" appear.

Is the difference that OLED-light makes everything brighter while raising brightness (black level) just make details in black better? And what is the relationship between contrast and OLED-light? Lower OLED-light needs a higher contrast setting?

This is what I have found out contrary to what others have said.

OLED light does indeed effect brightness/shadow detail.

To test this set an input at default values for ISF Dark. OLED light 80, Brightness 50, Contrast 85 and gamma 2.2 (BT.1886 and 2.4 are too dark for this test I have found).

Display a black image or use the black bars on a movie.

Make sure this is in the evening and turn off all lights off.

Grab a toilet roll or roll up a piece of card. You want a tube that won't damage the screen to place against it.

Close one eye and look through the tube. Block out any light other than that coming from the black area of the screen. Allow your eye to adjust. Look for any glowing or sparkling pixels. Don't see any? Up the brightness a notch to 51.

On my TV I could just about perceive a very very feint glow. No sparkling pixels, but glowing nonetheless. Many have said their sets start to glow at 52. But this is most likely due to them running the OLED light at a more modest 40-50 range. Now try the same procedure at OLED light 45. You will see it does not glow or get sparklies until 52 or maybe 53 depending on your set.

My conclusion is that OLED light has some small effect on shadow detail which can be raised by bringing the brightness up a notch and then adjusting IRE lumenance a little in the advanced white balance settings.

I had wondered why the set came from the factory set at OLED light 80 and brightness 50 and this seems to be why. By setting the OLED light lower you are crushing shadow detail and it becomes a bit harder to compensate using brightness and lumenance settings. At the default 80, gamma 2.2 and raising lumenance a little I find shadow detail to be excellent and really punchy. But it does strain the eyes a little at night.

As always. YMMV

Is de HDCP 2.2 thingy fixed for the ps4 pro and HDR ?, got one ready to get hooked up

Interesting, I'll try that!

I'm light sensitive because of migraines so OLED-light 80 would be way too light for me (I have to have the TV set to something considerably darker than what a correctly calibrated setting would be because of this), but it's clear to me that OLED-light must do something to black levels (brightness) otherwise it wouldn't change the number of black boxes appearing on a test disc when I turn it up to down (unless I have misunderstood something).

I guess my confusion is not knowing what to adjust with OLED-light and what to adjust with brightness and contrast.

This is what I have found out contrary to what others have said.

OLED light does indeed effect brightness/shadow detail.

To test this set an input at default values for ISF Dark. OLED light 80, Brightness 50, Contrast 85 and gamma 2.2 (BT.1886 and 2.4 are too dark for this test I have found).

Display a black image or use the black bars on a movie.

Make sure this is in the evening and turn off all lights off.

Grab a toilet roll or roll up a piece of card. You want a tube that won't damage the screen to place against it.

Close one eye and look through the tube. Block out any light other than that coming from the black area of the screen. Allow your eye to adjust. Look for any glowing or sparkling pixels. Don't see any? Up the brightness a notch to 51.

On my TV I could just about perceive a very very feint glow. No sparkling pixels, but glowing nonetheless. Many have said their sets start to glow at 52. But this is most likely due to them running the OLED light at a more modest 40-50 range. Now try the same procedure at OLED light 45. You will see it does not glow or get sparklies until 52 or maybe 53 depending on your set.

My conclusion is that OLED light has some small effect on shadow detail which can be raised by bringing the brightness up a notch and then adjusting IRE lumenance a little in the advanced white balance settings.

I had wondered why the set came from the factory set at OLED light 80 and brightness 50 and this seems to be why. By setting the OLED light lower you are crushing shadow detail and it becomes a bit harder to compensate using brightness and lumenance settings. At the default 80, gamma 2.2 and raising lumenance a little I find shadow detail to be excellent and really punchy. But it does strain the eyes a little at night.

As always. YMMV

I have settled on
oled 40
contrast 80
brightness 52
colour 50
2.4 gamma
isf dark expert mode

This is in a light controlled environment. I found with brightness at 50, i was losing shadow detail, and on mine i could increase it to 52 without raising blacks. To get full shadow detail it had to be on 54-56 but that greyed it out somewhat , so to me i have a decent compromise with these settings.
For me raising the oled light didnt make much of a difference, maybe just a tad, if it was on 80-90, but that for me is unbearable.
Anything more than 50 on the oled light, is retina burning.
I would say that those settings are the closest picture to what my last tv looked like after Jules had worked his magic.
I will be getting him over to tweak it in the next month or so, it will be interesting to see what his settings and opinions are.

Last edited:
Hi guys..recently bought the 55b6v, and overall i'm quite happy with it!
I have one major issue with the connection between tv and magic remote...when i have just used the remote after about 5-10min the response time is approx 10-30sek from pushing a button on the remote till the tv reacts! anybody els with this problem, and does anybody have a fix for this..?
I had the remote switched with a new one, same problem!
Same resoult with Simplink turned on and off!
Really hope someone can help me

Bump

Personally I'd be extremely cautious about spending such a large amount of money on eBay for something like this.

Normally if the price sounds too good to be true it's because it is.

I got mine on ebay. It was a refurb job, it was mint, unused as far as i could tell, just didnt have any original bits. Got myself a nice vesa stand and genuine remote. In all it cost me just £2k and im very happy with it (and its a june build) It has 1 year manufacturers warranty, which in this country, in reality, is 6 years (you do all know that dont you?)
Buying using paypal is about the safest method for the purchaser in my experience (nightmare for the seller sometimes)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom