Question LG B6 image edge blurring

Unclefishboy73

Hi

Apols if this has been posted elsewhere on other forums but it's just a quick one. I've had an LG B6 for nearly 2 years and something has been troubling me for quite some time.

On most content (bar gaming) I see quiet a lot of noise around moving objects. It's most noticeable when the frame is relatively static and something moves across it. I get a kind of blurring / noise around just around the moving object, kind of like a shimmer. It's pretty annoying for a pricey TV like this.

I have the following settings that I think may affect it, they're set this way as I followed a guide for the best options:

Super resolution - off
Edge enhancer - on
Noise reduction - off
MPEG noise reduction - off
Motion eye care - off
TruMotion - off

Any ideas as to what my issue is?

Thanks!

hakr

I was going to say trumotion, but looks like you have that turned off already.

My only other guess would be that the edge enhancer is doing something iffy? What is your sharpness set to, as this is what is affected by the edge enhancer being switched on.

Unclefishboy73

Hi Glenn, actually that was a mistake, the edge enhancer was actually off. I have turned it on since to see if it made any difference but there was none. I tried switching some of the other options on too but it didn't seem to make any difference.

It seems to happen most on on demand content such as Netflix etc.

hakr

Do you get the same with non streaming content... such as blu ray discs?

It could just be compression artifacts that you're seeing. I'm quite surprised that you've got trumotion off already, as what you're describing is exactly what happens when it's turned on.

Unclefishboy73

Ok I've checked thoroughly, something I should have done before... It only happens when watching netflix content in Dolby Vision, everything else is fine. We watch quite alot of netflix and quite alot of it is now in Dolby Vision!

Does anyone know if there's a known issue with B6s and dolby? I have 100mb broadband via virgin so have plenty of bandwidth

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
It doesn’t sound like it from your description, but Dolby vision and HDR10 makes normal low frame rate judder much more apparent to my eyes. It may be worth experimenting with Trumotion. I would suggest slowly increasing dejudder to either improve things or rule it out before delving any deeper.

Unclefishboy73

It's fixed! Totally bizarre but I changed the super resolution setting to high and it cured it. I then showed my wife how bad it was before by turning it off again and the issue was still gone. Like wtf?!

hakr

It's fixed! Totally bizarre but I changed the super resolution setting to high and it cured it. I then showed my wife how bad it was before by turning it off again and the issue was still gone. Like wtf?!
Probably either noticing judder..... which can vary depending on the shot, and how things are filmed... so watching some content, you might think "great, it's fixed".... but watching something you know had issues before, will probably still notice issues.

Either that, or.... don't forget that each source and each picture mode has it's own settings. I.e. if it was trumotion causing the edge halo/ shimmer, then you'll need to disable it for each picture mode (isf exp dark, isf exp bright, hdr std, DV dark room), and do the same for each input source (hdmi1, hdmi2, built in apps, etc.).

A lot of people don't realise this, so they disable trumotion in expect dark room for hdmi2, then go to watch a dv show in Netflix and wonder why everything is so smooth :)

Just check the settings for each input you use and for each picture mode you use on each input.

The fact that it went away, and was still fixed after you changed super res back..... suggests to me that it's not super res that's fixed it to begin with. (Remembering though, the above advice, and also that super res, edge enhancer, and sharpness settings are intrinsically linked... if you set sharpness to 0, edge enhancer and super res will have little to no effect).

What I think is most likely..... given that it's suddenly fixed itself, even when you changed back the setting that you thought had fixed it.... and given that it's ONLY a problem when streaming on Netflix.... is that the problem you were having was simply compression artifacts.... and that Netflix is constantly monitoring the network connection, and will drop the bitrate/ resolution as it sees fit to keep a stable stream.

It might be that your network speed usually drops below its requirement for hd or uhd, and that when you saw it"fixed", your speeds were at their greatest, with no other devices using up bandwidth.

I think it would really help diagnose the issue if you are able to get a short video or some stills of the problem next time it occurs :)

Unclefishboy73

Thanks for the detailed response but it really does seem to be sorted. I was using the same 30 seconds of Our Planet on Netflix where some bison were jumping about. The blurring around the edges of the bison were fairly obvious and consistent. I noticed it a few nights ago when we were watching it with the kids (traumatic by the way!) as I always do and it was exactly the same today. I've been seeing it the whole time I've had the tv I think.

So I kept watching the same 30 secs and after first changing the sharpness and edge enhancer to no effect, changed them back and then switched super res on and hey presto. Then turned it back off and it was still fixed. Just checked again and however hard I look the blurring has gone.

I'm wondering whether it was some funky software thing and just titting about with the settings has cleared it or something. Either way I'm very happy that watching in Dolby vision, which to me was always a cut above everything else, now looks pretty flawless.

Thank you for all your advice, I know about having to change the settings per picture mode and input by the way, appreciate your help

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom