LG B6 55" stutter (micro stutter?) scene change

This isn't a b6 issue. Seen it on the E too. It's the LG motion system. It's better since the recent update, but it seems to be a processing issue. Nothing to do with the B6 chip.

LG have never got the motion control right in the TVs.

Glad to have come across this post and see that I'm not alone. I just got the b6 last week and have noticed a very distracting stutter not thru high action scenes, but with panning. I feel like I've tried everything, but got a couple ideas from comments here to try. I updated the latest firmware, so my last resort will be a factory reset to see if I notice it without the update. It doesn't seem to happen with all movies, and the picture quality is so amazing that I'm definitely not trying to return it. Besides, I've seen comments from people with other brands having the same issue as well. Anyone have further fix ideas, or knowledge of any other upcoming software downloads from LG? Seems like it's enough of a problem.

Check the LG B6 issues and settings thread - page 13. Member Dick Emery has posted a potential solution. Worked for him anyway! Interested in your findings as considering pulling the trigger on a 55 B6 this weekend.

Thanks Iain for the quick reply! I have the 65", but can't see the size being any different. I'll check the thread and try it it later today. I'll let you know if it worked.

Try turning off power save mode and also power save for the hdd. It's under the system part and turn off quick start I had stutter, especially with Amazon prime, and went away after that

Appreciate the help. Neither worked for me. The only thing that helps so far is adjusting the dejudder, which unfortunately even slightly moved starts giving me the soap opera effect, which I can't stand.

Ah sorry to hear that. I guess it shows that what works on one panel won't always work for another. However from the tone of your original post it seems like the benefits you are enjoying far outweigh the issues, so think I'll still take the plunge (will butter up the other half for rest of week )! I'm fairly tolerant of slight stutter etc as long as there's no SOE - can't bear that it's so fake to my eyes. Might as well buy a cheap LCD if going to suffer soe. Roll on Saturday.

Well if you find a fix come back and let me know, lol. Other than this issue, the picture is immaculate when viewing the right content. The Jungle Book...just the 1080 blu ray looks amazing. And I'm already addicted to the perfect black. Besides, I've seen comments about motion issues on the Samsung and others, so I'd hate to go thru the trouble of sending this huge TV back to be disappointed in another. I'll contact LG and hope for a fix on this issue. Haven't had the problem in any 4K content yet, just cable and watching movies thru PS4.

I did just have a thought that maybe I should try an actual blu ray player instead of PS4 to see if the same thing happens.

I had been planning to buy a B7 this year but these motion issues have me worried. I have no interest in frame interpolation or to be frank any processing at all. I just want completely raw frames displayed at their native frame rate.

Are these motion issues only present when using the TV's processing? With everything turned off, will the TV display 24, 25, 30, and 60fps content without issue?

Well, I had all the motion settings off and saw this panning stutter in a movie from my cable box, and playing blu rays thru my PS4. Haven't had an issue watching 4k content on YouTube or Netflix thru the TV itself. I too want an all natural frame rate watching films the way they were meant to be seen, without any motion processing.

Well the thing is they use processing to prevent vignetting so you don't get raw output anyhow. As for motion the only option that works to smooth things out is PC Mode (Though sadly not for 1080 @ 50).

I had been planning to buy a B7 this year but these motion issues have me worried. I have no interest in frame interpolation or to be frank any processing at all. I just want completely raw frames displayed at their native frame rate.

Are these motion issues only present when using the TV's processing? With everything turned off, will the TV display 24, 25, 30, and 60fps content without issue?

I follow

Appreciate the help. After more investigating, I now understand that it's all frame rate related and how nicely it and the TV play together. Maybe it's me, but now I've been feeling like the motion settings vary upon content, instead of just one overall setting. I was thinking of trading it in for the E6, but saw lots of similar problems, and dead subpixel complaints. I'm fortunate to have gotten a good one at a very nice discount, and understand that I have one beautiful display in the B6, and will just hope a future firmware update eliminates the issue entirely.

Have a c6 and had all the same problems you guys have.

After a lot of different content and messing around I've realised the TV just can't handle 30fps without stutter/judder (or whatever you want to call it) when panning or objects moving across the screen. You can test this yourself by watching the rtings motion test on YouTube which is a 60hz video running at 30hz. Then try it again by downloading and watching via USB stick (remains 60hz) you'll see it displays motion very well at this frame rate and deblur at like 3 makes it almost perfect. I have no idea why this doesn't show up in the TVreviews because most content available now is 30fps. To make this a bit better dejudder has to be put on and 1-3 it's not amazing but its passable. Deblur only seems to have any effect on 60hz content so leave that at 0.

For 24p content real cinema has to be on and tru motion off. It's not perfect but it's normal to get judder on 24p content.

You'll probably have noticed weird frame rate issues with amazon and Netflix content it's really bad on the HDR stuff and I think this is because of 3:2 pull down. I am really sensitive to this and nothing you can do in trumotion will fix this.

Please let me know if you agree with me and let me know if you have found any other way of improving 30hz content.

I have this micro stutter at scene change on my LG whilst watching Freeview digital TV. However, watching the same content through HDMI on my Virgin box there is no stutter at all. It is very annoying, and despite experimenting with all the settings, I just can't get rid of it. No problem on any other sources, just digital TV, and more noticeable on shows with jump edits.

I have this micro stutter at scene change on my LG whilst watching Freeview digital TV. However, watching the same content through HDMI on my Virgin box there is no stutter at all.
Yes... This particular issue seems to occur with Freeview HD channels when the TV switches between 1080i and 1080p flagged content. And it's been around on previous LG models too.

By contrast, if you view the same HD channels via the TV's Freesat tuner, there's not a problem as all content is consistently flagged as 1080i.

Just want to say I solved my micro stutter issue that was driving me crazy by turning off "Noise Reduction" on my LG B7. Was super noticeable watching basketball. I had it set to 'low' but as soon as I set to 'off' the stutter went away. Makes a huge difference, was getting close to returning tv.

Just want to say I solved my micro stutter issue that was driving me crazy by turning off "Noise Reduction" on my LG B7. Was super noticeable watching basketball. I had it set to 'low' but as soon as I set to 'off' the stutter went away. Makes a huge difference, was getting close to returning tv.

Do you have any other processor features turned on? I am having this micro stutter issue and I already have the noise reduction turned off. I did have dynamic colour on though which I have just turned off tonight to see if this makes a difference.

Hi guys,

Found you by googling LG OLED stutter and it seems this is a good place to ask about few things I don't know much about, exept that I can see them on my brand new LG C8 OLED. btw sorry on my bad english. :)

First of all, this is my first OLED, so I am of course blown away by the picture perfection without any grey/blueish blacks and backlight bleeds of my old LED LCD's. I'm still trying to tune the picture profiles how I like, and from what I can see, the motion part is the trickiest. TruMotion ON/OFF or custom setting, well, it will take some time to get it right. So, about my "beginner" questions:

1. What is 24p and why is this so important in topics about motion on TVs? In what relation is 24p to 50 or 60Hz systems in EU and America? How will I know if the movie I downloaded or riped is 24p or not.

2. Why when I watch bluray rip, true rip without any compression - I don't have any motion problems, and the picture is absolutely perfect, but when I play mkv with 1080p "bluray" rip in it, x264, - the picture has this awful shutter in the background of the slow moving shots? What is the difference and why smaller rips, which are not Bluray have it. Can it be related to 24p, 50/60 Hz, ot they just can't be as true bluray no matter what?

3. TruMotion, MotionFlow etc. On my old LED LCD TV's I always turned that stuff off because I dont like that plastic super fluid picture (is that soap opera effect?), I will insted accept a little stutter, but on OLED it is almost required to turn ON that artifical systems because "raw" stutter is just to much without it. I am of course talking about that 1080p "smaller" rips, not original bluray. If I set TruMotion on my LG to 2 or 3, that same movie will look smooth at first, but every few second or so, there will be a small twitch in the picture which I absolutey want to avoid. Like it is "buffering" the picture in memory for processing, and then it lost few frames and skipp from time to time. So what can I do to play normal rips on my OLED like I used to on my old Sony LED bravia? I can't get it to look, "normal" if you know what I mean. It forces me to turn different processing options, which I don't really want.

p.s. Oh and one more thing: I downloaded few LG 4K demos and played them directly from my NAS to LG player on TV. OMG that lookes so amazing and perfect. Why movies cant look like that?

Thanks.

Vel.

Last edited:
Are you playing MKV's from the TV player or from the PC player? If from the PC the refresh rate needs to match the TV's. For movies it is either 23,976 fps/Hz or 24 fps/Hz. To achieve this you need to check your graphics card output is set to the correct refresh rate or use some tool like MPC-HC's auto switching (cumbersome) or MadVR (much easier to set correct auto switching of refresh rates, '2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p59, 2160p60'). If you use the MadVR option 'Hack DX11 to output 24 fps' you can get true 24 fps output.

It all depends on your setup though. Last version of MPC-HC + latest LAV filters + latest MadVR on Windows works great for me.

What is 24p and why is this so important in topics about motion on TVs? In what relation is 24p to 50 or 60Hz systems in EU and America? How will I know if the movie I downloaded or riped is 24p or not.
24p describes the frame rate content was filmed in or the refresh rate content is displayed at. For the former that's 24 frames per second (FPS) and the latter 24 Hertz (Hz). The 'p' distinguishes how is scanned to be displayed on the screen, in this case progressively. So each frame is displayed as an entire picture, not as odd and even lines one after the other, in two separate fields, as it would be with interlaced (i) content.
Typically all movies are filmed at 24p and that's a hangover to when film stock was expensive so filmmakers had to strike a balance between affordability and smoothness of the finished product.
Movie content on optical media and VOD services these days will typically be displayed at 24Hz but that won't be the case for films shown on TV which will be converted to the country's TV format, typically.

2. Why when I watch bluray rip, true rip without any compression - I don't have any motion problems, and the picture is absolutely perfect, but when I download mkv with 1080p "bluray" rip in it, x264, - the picture has this awful shutter in the background of the slow moving shots? What is the difference and why smaller rips, which are not Bluray have it. Can it be related to 24p, 50/60 Hz, ot they just can't be as true bluray no matter what?

3. TruMotion, MotionFlow etc. On my old LED LCD TV's I always turned that stuff off because I dont like that plastic super fluid picture (is that soap opera effect?), I will insted accept a little stutter, but on OLED it is almost required to turn ON that artifical systems because "raw" stutter is just to much without it. I am of course talking about that 1080p "smaller" rips, not original bluray. If I set TruMotion on my LG to 2 or 3, that same movie will look smooth at first, but every few second or so, there will be a small twitch in the picture which I absolutey want to avoid. Like it is "buffering" the picture in memory for processing, and then it lost few frames and skipp from time to time. So what can I do to play normal rips on my OLED like I used to on my old Sony LED bravia? I can't get it to look, "normal" if you know what I mean. It forces me to turn different processing options, which I don't really want.
I thought we covered this off in the C8 owners thread?!
To add to that, if you're going to download pirated content, of unknown origin, it's probably not the best idea to come on a public UK forum and moan that it doesn't playback as you expected.

Paul

Last edited:
To add to that, if you're going to download pirated content, of unknown origin, it's probably not the best idea to come on a public UK forum and moan that it doesn't playback as you expected.
Paul

Thanks for 24p explanation Paul. I try to test many different sources of video/movies in recent days, I have netflix subscription, and Lost in Space show looks stunning in Dolby Vision, no noticable stutter and no need for agressive trumotion tricks. But then, my "old" movies that worked smooth on my old Sony LCD, are not like that on OLED. I guess It's just limitation of panel technology or LG has a poorer processing of motion then Sony. I give up slowly about thinking too much about this problem. I'm trying to accept it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom