LG and APPLE TV on 2019 Models only

Boogersa

Established Member
Reaction score
Just contacted LG and they are only adding APPLE TV app to 2019 models. I'm a bit disappointed with that!

LG don't add major features to past models even if the hardware is capable and the features are just software.

It is poor behavior from what you would expect to be a premium brand but such attitudes have long been present in the TV industry.

well, Apple won't be getting my business. Just bought an LG TV Dec 2018.

Apple will want their app on as many platforms as possible if it promotes access to their services. They may hold back some features for the ATV 4K box (like Atmos) to lessen the blow to anyone having spent £180 on one. I suspect Webos apps are fairly portable across recent OLED years - so it all points to LG being restrictive.

If enough fuss is made they will change their minds - but they only respond to Vincent or Forbes. Forums and websites could make a fuss but they never do - too much to lose by alienating manufacturers.

LG don't add major features to past models even if the hardware is capable and the features are just software...
Does any major TV manufacturer!?

Apple will want their app on as many platforms as possible if it promotes access to their services. They may hold back some features for the ATV 4K box (like Atmos) to lessen the blow to anyone having spent £180 on one. I suspect Webos apps are fairly portable across recent OLED years - so it all points to LG being restrictive.

If enough fuss is made they will change their minds - but they only respond to Vincent or Forbes. Forums and websites could make a fuss but they never do - too much to lose by alienating manufacturers.
There’s been no word yet as to whether it’ll even be 4K. I doubt it will be, Apple still will want sales of the box.

...and I'm not sure whether AppleTV+ will be 4K, certainly none of the TV progs on Itunes are - only (some of the) movies. If the app is limited to HD - although "good news" for anyone having bought a TV box - it will be a disaster for the service as Disney, Netflix and Amazon will be 4K on the same platforms. The revenue for boxes is tiny compared with the loss if TV+ is not a big success.

LG don't add major features to past models even if the hardware is capable and the features are just software.

It is poor behavior from what you would expect to be a premium brand but such attitudes have long been present in the TV industry.

They added HLG support to my E6 about 2 years after release.

Not restricted to LG the AF9 will not be getting the Apple app so Sony as well .. there was a petition to get the APP on LG /Sony 2018 models.. abject failure obviously.

Don't give a toss about Apple and their overrated products. They are now losing market share and are finally trying to please the normal folks. Too late.

This is bizarre and makes no sense to me. This is not a ‘feature’ is just an app like Netflix, YouTube or NowTV, and the useless apps no one use. I can kind of understand not adding AirPlay 2, but not the Apple TV app.

Why does webOS have a content store and installable apps then? Are LG blocking Apple from releasing one, or have apple decided not to write one (which would be strange).

Is the OP sure that the person he spoke to has not confused Apple Airplay 2 and the Apple TV app? (they wouldn’t be the first).

This is bizarre and makes no sense to me. This is not a ‘feature’ is just an app like Netflix, YouTube or NowTV, and the useless apps no one use. I can kind of understand not adding AirPlay 2, but not the Apple TV app.

Why does webOS have a content store and installable apps then? Are LG blocking Apple from releasing one, or have apple decided not to write one (which would be strange).

Is the OP sure that the person he spoke to has not confused Apple Airplay 2 and the Apple TV app? (they wouldn’t be the first).
The Apple TV app with iTunes integration is exclusive to Samsung for the first year I believe

To be honest, I get that it’s a pain that LG won’t backport the support to the 2018 models, but so what? An Apple TV is easy to use, 2nd hand 4K boxes can be had for under £100 now, and will arguably give a better picture than a native app.

One can argue that yes, LG should offer Airplay 2 support to the 2018 models, but fundamentally why should they? They’re a business, not a charity, and it won’t be as simple as ‘no, let’s shaft all our 2018 buyers just because we can’t be bothered’. If a manufacturer promises something and doesn’t deliver (like Samsung and HLG on 2016 models, or if LG didn’t end up bringing Alexa to the 2019s in the end) I totally get the anger at that. You buy the TV as is, anything else is a bonus.

The Apple TV app with iTunes integration is exclusive to Samsung for the first year I believe

To be honest, I get that it’s a pain that LG won’t backport the support to the 2018 models, but so what? An Apple TV is easy to use, 2nd hand 4K boxes can be had for under £100 now, and will arguably give a better picture than a native app.

One can argue that yes, LG should offer Airplay 2 support to the 2018 models, but fundamentally why should they? They’re a business, not a charity, and it won’t be as simple as ‘no, let’s shaft all our 2018 buyers just because we can’t be bothered’. If a manufacturer promises something and doesn’t deliver (like Samsung and HLG on 2016 models, or if LG didn’t end up bringing Alexa to the 2019s in the end) I totally get the anger at that. You buy the TV as is, anything else is a bonus.

We are not not taking about Airplay 2. As I said, I get why they wouldn’t include that. Almost your entire reply was about Airplay 2 - are you also confusing two very different things? (also apps can be just as good, in fact the Netflix apps are better natively, but that’s a good whole different thread).

What I’m taking about is the Apple TV app. There is no ‘backporting’, the app is coded and released by Apple not LG.

LG just allow them to publish their app in the LG content store.

It begs the question; what is the point in the LG content store if new apps can be published once a new model TV is released?

Maybe LG need to be more transparent and clear about this policy, because an ‘App Store’ implies an ongoing ability to buy/install apps.

I’m not taking about Airplay 2. As I said, I get why they would include that.

What I’m taking about is the Apple TV app. There is no ‘backporting’, the app is coded and released by Apple not LG.

LG just allow them to publish their app in the LG content store.

It begs the question, what is the point in the LG content store and new apps can be published once a new model TV is released.

Maybe LG need to be more transparent and clear about this policy, because an ‘App Store’ implies an ongoing ability to buy/install apps.
Yes, the Apple TV app is what I’m talking about - which will be exclusive to Samsung for the first year. Coded by Apple.

Yes, the Apple TV app is what I’m talking about - which will be exclusive to Samsung for the first year. Coded by Apple.

Well that’s down to Apple and Samsung making a deal.

I’m still not convinced that the Apple TV app won’t be published in the LG Content Store for other pre-2019 TV’s. What’s the point in a content store if content is never added.

LG’s lower tier customer service representatives do make a lot mistakes and have given me incorrect information in the past. In my (painful) experience some of them don’t have a clue about their products.

Would not surprise me if they confused Apple TV app and Apple Airplay 2, which will only be on 2019+ models.

Well that makes down to Apple and Samsung making a deal.

I’m still not convinced that the Apple TV app won’t be published in the content store for other pre-2019 TV’s.

LG’s lower tier customer service representatives do make a lot mistakes and have given me incorrect information in the past. In my (painful) experience some of them don’t have a clue about their products.

Would not surprise me if they confused Apple TV app and Apple Airplay 2, which will only be on 2019+ models.
Clarified last month with the LG UK Product Training manager that LG would not be seeing any support ‘for at least 6 months’ for the Apple TV app - ‘given Samsung’s exclusive deal with Apple’.

He hinted that the AirPlay 2 support would come with the Alexa update, estimated for July release.

Clarified last month with the LG UK Product Training manager that LG would not be seeing any support ‘for at least 6 months’ for the Apple TV app - ‘given Samsung’s exclusive deal with Apple’.

He hinted that the AirPlay 2 support would come with the Alexa update, estimated for July release.

Again, you are talking about something different.

This thread is about a customer service rep saying Apple TV app is never coming to pre-2019 models.

Not seeing ‘support for the Apple TV app for 6 months’, is not the same as ‘Apple TV not coming to pre-2019 models’.

That statement from an LG product trainer doesn’t mention the app not coming to pre-2019 models, just that it’s going to be delayed for ALL LG TV’s due to an exclusivity deal between Apple and Samsung.

After the exclusivity period, which Samsung will have paid handsomely for, it could end up in the LG Content Store, I cant see any reason why LG would block it. That would be a very bad move for LG towards their customers. One of the reasons I buy a Smart TV is be able to install new Apps as they become available, that’s surely the whole point of having an ‘App Store’ on the TV.

If LG block people from publishing apps for any TV older than 12 months for arbitrary reasons (when the code is probably identical, and the TV is more than cable of running it) then they have effectively made their App Store a redundant feature. That’s a worrying turn of events.

Last edited:
Maybe the LG person I spoke to is confused. I didn't specify exactly between the APP and AirPlay

Here is my question and their reply...

"I have read that Apple TV is going to start appearing on smart TVs including LG's range. Will the SK8500 be getting Apple TV and do you know when this will be?"

"I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but at this point in time we are only aware that the 2019 released LG TVs will support this. As of now, we do not have a list of which 2019 models will provide support but previous models will not receive this compatibility. This means that the 55SK8500PLA will not support Apple TV."

Just having a read about Samsung TVs and it states that to get the Apple TV app it will require a firmware update. If that’s how LG are you to do it too then it might not be possible to just assume you can get it by default via their App Store. We’ll just have to wait and see...

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom