LG AN110 with PS3

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by 00evan, Jan 4, 2007.

1. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Looking for some advice. Please be gentle, I've never owned a projector before. :lease:

Looking at turning my "office" into a games room. Getting a PS3 when it's widely available and want to get a projector to play it on. Will also watch DVDs/Bluerays on it and plug in a spare Sky+ box I have going spare since I got Sky HD.

The one that caught my eye is the LG AN110. It hang on the wall, looks pretty good,handles HD and to my newbie eyes the specs seem pretty good.

Room width (direction of throw) is 2m so the fact that it's slim and hangs on the wall minimises wasting valuable throwing distance. I was hoping to have the projector above head height and the picture about waist height.

I have a few questions. Very grateful for any answers:

1) Will I be able to get that vertical drop at that short distance? (approx 1m drop for 1.9m throw)

2) What is the approx minimum and maximum screen size I will be able to get? I was hoping for about a 40" diagonal.

3) Does this sound like a suitable projector for playing PS3?

4) Will I need a screen? The room will be dark and I could just paint the wall white.

5) Considering the usage, would I be better off with a good old fashioned LCD tv?

Apologies for the newbie questions. Thanks for your patience.
    :smashin:

2. jasonf01

jasonf01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Hi evan,

I got an AN110 just before xmas to replace an Infocus X1 in the bedroom.

Its a *much* better arrangement, mainly because it can sit on the wall above my bed and project a non-keystoned image, but also because of some annoying quirks that the old pj had (the worst of them being that the fans always run, even if its in standby), the AN110 is a great display solution.

Mine is sited about 1.9m up on a wall at the head of my bed at the moment (this might change, its a temp install based on some existing holes I had), and the lens shift can put it way up onto the ceiling or put the bottom of the screen about 1.1m up from the ground of the opposite wall, which is about 2.8m away from the pj. With this throw, I get a 75 inch diagonal screen at maximum zoom. Normally I have the screen high up on the wall so I can watch it while in bed, but I cant help thinking they should have motorised the lens shift - they motorised everything else!

Anyhow, on to your questions...

1. My measurements make your 1m drop over 1.9m throw look a little ambitious. It will be close, but I dont personally think you will manage it with the projector mounted at above head height. Do you really need it that high? My main projector is on top of a 1.4m tall shelf in the living room, and when everyones settled down to watch TV, there are no shadows or anything. If you can bring it down 20-30cm you should be able to do it easy.

2. Size-wise, you will easily get a 40 inch diagonal screen. In fact, that will be a fairly low zoom for your throw, youre looking at a range of about 38-55 inch screen sizes.

3. I dont know - I dont have a PS3. It does work well as a PC display and for games, but Im currently using VGA rather than HDMI so I cant judge how good it would be for a PS3.

4. As for a screen, you can just paint the wall white, though "white" comes in many different guises which may affect your colour purity. You should be able to evaluate this when you get a projector, and buy a screen if you think its necessary.

5. You might be better off with a LCD tv instead. Only you can really judge that, but if you can put up with the inconvenience of a projector Id have to say go for it. Ive been TV-less and on projectors since 1994 and their bang-per-buck, versatility and portability (in some cases) are the best you can get for your money.

Its a big outlay - especially if this is your first projector - so I hope some of your questions are answered here. If you need any more info, let me know and I will try and answer them.

The last point I will say about the AN110 is that it comes as a wall-mount only, the desk stand isnt included in the box and is an optional extra. I really wanted to try mine down in the living room to see if its a potential CRT replacer, but I cant because theres nowhere to mount it (and im not prepared to mount it to my window lol).

If anyone can tell me who sells the desk stands, I would be very grateful.

Hope this info helps,
    Jas.

3. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jas, thanks for the comprehensive reply. But after that I'm still undecided. Does anyone else have good or bad to say about this machine? Is there an LG AN110 owners' thread somewhere? If not, why not? I guess maybe that's an indication that this isn't a popular machine which I guess casts doubt on its credentials?

If I do decide to go for it, it's going to take some smooth talking to convince the wife we need one. Or in lieu of smooth talking, a pair of Jimmy Choos. :eek:

Yes I might be able to drop the projector down a bit. Thanks for the reassurance on the screen size.

I see technoworld have the stands:
    http://www.technoworld.com/productdisplay.asp?ProductID=38689

Thanks again.
    :thumbsup:

4. danrs

danrs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've had an AN110 in white since October last year and (ignoring my service issues with LG!) am very pleased with it's performance. There doesn't seem to be a lot of owners for these PJ's yet, so not too many reviews out there. I have it connected via HD to a 720p Yamaha DVD player upscaled to 1020p. Picture quality is clear and crisp (very slight pixilation) and colour is excellent. Brightness isn't great, so you will need a black-out room for dark scenes, but most films are easily watched during dimmed lightness. I have it on a white wall at the moment, but will be getting a screen shortly.

I will also be using mine for a PS3, which judjung by the projectors performance through HDMI, will be perfect for it.

I personally believe the main reason there are not too many owners for these, is the acceptance of it's great design. Audiophiles sometimes have a problem with well-designed electronics, they think that the manufaturer has focused more on design than performance - this certainly isn't the case for the AN110. Possibly for brands such as B&O, Bose etc.

That's a VERY small throw distance you have! Possibly LCD's will be your better option now they've come down in price.

5. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must admit I'm a bit apprehensive about the short throw and equally short viewing distance. I was thinking about upgrading the lounge to a 37" LCD and moving the current Tosh 32WLT66 into the games room. A couple of things put me off: my stud finder can't find a spot on the wall to mount it and because of the layout it would jut into the room a little and may be prone to getting knocked because of the layout of the room. No such problem with a pull-down projector screen. A projector would also give me a bigger screen than 32", Jas reckoned 38"-55". :clap:

So...

Cons: :thumbsdow
    need darkness
    short throw

Pros: :smashin:
    bigger image than LCD
    don't need to find a way to wall-mount a heavy tv
    I get to dip my toe in the water of projectoring

The darkness probably isn't a problem. It's a pretty dark room anyway.

Has anyone else had experience with such a short throw and viewing distance (1.9m)? Is this really a waste of a projector? :rolleyes:

6. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I went ahead and ordered it from www.oyyy.co.uk. £793 including delivery. :clap:

I am slightly concerned by the lack of coverage of this projector on this forum but the little I have read has been pretty positive. There may be safer bets out there but the wall mount and the HD clinch it for me. :thumbsup:

7. gadgetmat

gadgetmat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck, hope it works well for you. I am considering going for an LG AN110 too so would be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers.

8. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well I'm gutted. :(

Got it home and out the box today and it is a real beauty. Lovely looking piece of kit. I went for the black one btw.

Problem is it's broken! Powers up and rolls back the lens cover and there's the lens rattling around instead of standing front and centre. Must be a couple of screws missing or loose. :eek:

I was tempted to open it up and have a look but if I did that they might not replace it so the cover is staying on.

Oh and there was no power cable! What's that about? I had to scavenge one off the DVD player to get it powered up. :thumbsdow

oyyy have no customer service at weekends so I can't even complain till Monday morning. :mad:

9. gadgetmat

gadgetmat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nightmare! Sorry to hear that, hope you get it sorted asap. Must be so frustrating having it but not being able to use it.

10. emporer

emporer
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    If its any consolation I had my 1st pj and screen from oyyy and the screen was damaged, the service I got from oyyy was superb, everything was sorted etc in a few days with no hassle whatsoever.

11. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oyyy said they would be happy to send a replacement once they confirm the fault and once they have stock back in. The faulty projector was eventually collected on Thursday.

Then on Friday I got wind of DABS selling it for £700. Phoned up Oyyy to cancel the order (no problem) and ordered from DABS instead. Should have it early next week. It's been a bit of a faff but I've saved nearly 100 quid!

I'm looking forward to being able to post my thoughts on how it performs.
    :clap:

12. 00evan

00evan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well oyyy coughed up the refund without complaint and the replacement from dabs worked no problem so I'm happy. :thumbsup:

In fact I'm extremely happy because the 49.5" image I get is amazing. :clap: Especially considering that I'm projecting onto a brown wall. In fact it looks like the picture is not affected by the colour of the wall. At least in the dark.

I do need to do something about it though because there a few spots that reflect the light from the projector causing a speckled effect in some scenes.

Not sure if it's because the wall was painted with one of those paint sponges rather than a brush or a roller or if it's just that the paint has been rubbed by passing shoulders until it's shiny.

I intend to try repainting with a roller rather than a sponge. Is there a special paint that I can try that might avoid this problem or do I really need to look for a screen at this point?

Thanks for any suggestions...