LG A1 Argos

nonsoloinglese

So I have a £370 Argos voucher and combined with the 10% off LG TV's it brings the LG 48 A1 to £638 before the voucher. I think this is a pretty aggressive price. It's for the kids gaming room, so not really interested in HDMI 2.1 but I do like an OLED picture. Any other suggestions?

Warranty is only 1 year but that's the trade off I suppose..

nonsoloinglese

Can’t seem to find the c1 at £700 ?

48 inch is the sweet spot for this room.

gibbletts

If I was looking for a gaming tv I'd go for the Sony 50 Inch XR50X90JU it has hdmi 2.1 it's a little bit more price wise but less risky if your leaving it in the hands of kids when it comes to burn in and should perform better in a bright room.

Dodgexander

It's a suggested TV in my guide here:

So at an even cheaper price, why not?

Should be clear in the guide, but the main downside to the A1 is its dim brightness, it's not a very good choice for HDR. Having said that, you won't find anything better at the same price.

nonsoloinglese

Dodge I am religious follower of yours and I am of the same mind. £638 new when the new models are coming in at double is a snip. Inflation may is never see an oled at that price again..

Brightness, it’s at back of house and will mainly be used for gaming and the odd film.

Dodgexander

With the brightness glare and bright room viewing really is less important than how the TV will display HDR. Basically, with the A1 you will need to use HDR when the room is very dark, and you will find the picture flat, or washed out at times.

HDR picture quality does not scale linearly like SDR does, so until you are reaching TVs that are semi-pro or pro in the guide you can get problems with the picture. This is why many people opt to go for the more expensive C1 over the A1, for example.

If you are comparing the A1 at the price you have though, nothing will come close to it.

If you have a plan in place to avoid HDR, or you don't watch any content that includes HDR then the A1 is more than good enough.

nonsoloinglese

@Dodgexander For perspective how would the A1 compare to the B7? Which was my first foray into OLED..

Dodgexander

B7 is actually more like the current C1 or C2 than the A1.
The replacement for the B7 is now the B1/B2 but those are arguably worse TVs with lower brightness than the B7.
A1 sits at bottom level, no 120hz panel and low peak brightness. It's fine for SDR, but not suited for HDR where brightness is more important.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom