Question LG 910v vs B6 or C6

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Greyman43, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Greyman43

Greyman43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Following from my first thread in the what TV to buy section which was very helpful, I've settled on an LG OLED being the best for my needs.

I'm planning to buy in March/April and am currently still favouring the 910v as being the best value for my needs. I won't be close enough to get the benefit of 4k and I'm not worried about jumping on the HDR wagon just yet as the technology is still finding it's feet and improving very quickly. A good solid picture quality at 9-10' for everyday movie/series viewing is my primary need.

My question is, aside from 4k and HDR, is there any other reason to spend the extra on the 2016 models? I know prices may change before spring anyway and if the price gap closes enough it will be a no brainer but let's assume the £700-800 premium for a 2016 for now...

Thanks for your help guys, loving this forum so far!

2. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +336
    This question has already been addressed in the 2016 model threads: the consensus is that the B & C models are much better than the 910 for what you want and worth the extra money if you can afford it.

3. edward3289

edward3289

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Like you said you're mostly paying for the premium of 4K. That's really the selling point and if you're not convinced of that by them there is no point at this moment in time. The 3D on a 4K OLED is capable of 1080p to each eye rather than a lower resolution you'd get from the 910. I guess if you enjoy 3D it's a good selling point but maybe not really worth the price increase. I can say, as will most with 4K OLEDs that the 3D is fantastic even if you weren't convinced by it before. It's made me think more about paying the few quid extra for 3D when purchasing. Obviously only applies to C6.
    Also, if gaming is your thing the 2016s have a HDR Game mode (C6 now, B6 apparently soon because of different hardware to other models) which reduces the input lag in HDR mode.
    The upscaling is really great too. It breathed some extra life into my blu-ray collection.
    If you have Netflix or Amazon Prime they have a good but limited selection of 4K and HDR content. I guess you have some future proofing with both versions of HDR being available.
    The panel tech also improved a lot in the 2016 sets. I believe the 910 is a 2015 model and it is a panel lottery with getting a uniform screen free of banding and vignetting.
    Without getting really technical that's all I can really offer off the top of my head.
    I'd say I sit around the same distance as you and can definitely notice an increase in picture quality on my 2015 OLED. But that is all subjective. Some may see it others may not.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  4. Greyman43

Greyman43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I had one response that basically said 'the new one is better'. I thought I'd get more detailed replies with a dedicated thread and it would be easier to follow for anyone else making the same decision.

Happy for the moderators to delete the thread if they feel it's being covered already though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  5. Greyman43

Greyman43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers, nice to hear from someone with experience from both. Not gonna be used for gaming at all, will be set up in another room for that so not an issue.

6. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    For me, this is one of the biggest plus points of my C6. The PQ compared to my old Pioneer Kuro - and my projector - is in a different league.
    4K quality still seems far too variable - X-Men Apocalypse great, Suicide Squad could have been HD for all I could tell. But my BluRay library is experiencing a refresh since buying my C6 - ordered some films today!

7. edward3289

edward3289

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have one of the 2015 4K OLEDs, the 960v. I bought it when the 2016s had just been released and was basically in your kind of position but between an old 2015 model and 2016 model. Just kept up to date with the 2016s from reading here. In the end I couldn't justify the price difference.
    I was fortunate in my panel lottery. Got one with no banding and only very slight vignetting that pops up on a few dark scenes if you really look for it.
    The 2016 models are already more affordable than this time last year and I'd definitely say go for a 4K model if you can justify it. Once the new models are on sale the 2016 ones will start in clearance sales and should drop in price again.

8. edward3289

edward3289

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah that's a problem. A lot of the 4K releases aren't from 4K sources so they're just upscaled for the release.

Real or Fake 4K

This is a good website for checking whether the master is true 4K or not.

9. Dave964

Dave964

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I do use that site, but it doesn't give a true indication of quality I don't think. Warcraft looks great, but from memory I think that site says it's upscaled. And one of my films (can't remember which) is real 4k but doesn't look it.

For new films, if it's something I really want then I order 4k and it's a gamble. For films which I only have on DVD - or films that I'd like to see, but I don't think are anything special - I get Blu-ray.