LG 9.1 BH9520TW and PS3 Super Slim 250gb HD audio setup problems. PLEASE HELP!!!

Shumi

Standard Member

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and desperately need help! I'm from South-Africa (a Blu-rayregion B country) and I've bought the PS3 250GB Amazon Exclusive FamilyEntertainment Bundle with the goal of connecting it to my LG 9.1 BH9520TW hometheatre system (it's a region B 3D Blu-ray A/V receiver/player).

I did this so that I can play Region B locked Blu-rays on my LG player andRegion A locked Blu-rays on my PS3 with DTS-HD MA and Dolby Digital TrueHDregardless of which player I need to use.

The problem is that I can't get my LG receiver to play the HD audio whenplaying Blu-rays through the PS3.

I'm using a HDMI 1.4 cable to connect the PS3 with the LG receiver and haveset the PS3 BD/DVD HDMI audio setting to bitstream, but whenever I switch theaudio of my 300 blu-ray from standard dolby digital to Dolby Digital TrueHD, Iget no audio output. The video plays fine in full HD and I get standard DolbyDigital and DTS, but no HD DD or HD DTS.

What am I missing? Where is this setup going wrong? I noticed on the amazondescription page that they claim the PS3 in question is only compatible withSony amps??? Can this be true?

I get audio through Linear PCM, but this is not HD obviously. I did noticethat when I selected bitstream on the PS3 it said something like "someaudio from BD's might not play with this option selected".

My PS3 and LG system have their latest firmware installed and the LG playerplays all HD audio perfectly when playing a disc directly from the LG player.PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help me out! Words cannot describe how grateful I wouldbe if I can get this riddle solved!!! :lease:

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
‘I'm using a HDMI 1.4 cable’ – those don’t exist! HDMI :: Consumers :: Buying Guide

‘I get audio through Linear PCM, but this is not HD obviously’ – the PS3 can decode the Dolby and DTS HD tracks and output it as LPCM over HDMI to a compatible AVR.

Using LPCM is the way to go as you can then access secondary audio features your discs may offer – these are not available if you send the HD audio as a Bitstream to your AVR and there is no real advantage in moving the audio decoding to the AVR!

Joe

Shumi

Standard Member
‘I'm using a HDMI 1.4 cable’ – those don’t exist! HDMI :: Consumers :: Buying Guide

‘I get audio through Linear PCM, but this is not HD obviously’ – the PS3 can decode the Dolby and DTS HD tracks and output it as LPCM over HDMI to a compatible AVR.

Using LPCM is the way to go as you can then access secondary audio features your discs may offer – these are not available if you send the HD audio as a Bitstream to your AVR and there is no real advantage in moving the audio decoding to the AVR!

Joe
Thanks for the info. I've changed the settings to LPCM on the PS3, but now all I get is audio coming from the front left and front right speakers with no dialogue…

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Try toggling through the listening modes on the AVR.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom