Quantcast

LG 8K TV marketing to feature Premier League match

steviedr

Distinguished Member
So in this demo we will show you what the panel can do, similar content will be available in 2030.
You can of course watch it in UHD, now don’t worry it will still look like 8K, that’s why we are charging you a fortune !

sagaris99

So in this demo we will show you what the panel can do, similar content will be available in 2030.
You can of course watch it in UHD, now don’t worry it will still look like 8K, that’s why we are charging you a fortune !
Don't say that! I thought I could buy it and it'd look like that at home! Shush now, let me watch my 8K football demo in peace :laugh:

kinggo

doubt that..... FHD was introduced like 15 years ago and it is still far from being broadcast standard.

THX1138UK

Meanwhile, Sky can't even deliver 4K HDR and wide colour gamut....

Evinger

Don't say that! I thought I could buy it and it'd look like that at home! Shush now, let me watch my 8K football demo in peace :laugh:
Exactly! To me, this is a clever move - usually you get to watch a pre-programmed gorgeous looking Clip that is obviously not live, or live TV that looks "good" but is only to the broadcast quality plus any TV upscaling. This looks like Live TV but isn't, but people will truly think that Footy will look like this at Home.
Yet another way to sell to the MMTS (More Money Than Sense) Crowd.

1080 jawbreaker

will they show how blurry it would look in 4k as a comparison :)

Evinger

will they show how blurry it would look in 4k as a comparison :)
All they have to do is have the same piece of Footy on a VHS Tape, played on a same-size 4K set. :)

Robothamster

Distinguished Member
I work at a company that manufacture and supply wireless broadcast equipment, and football matches rely a lot on Steadicam operators filming the match un-tethered for mobility.

We have our 4K transmitters on the back of the majority of cameras you'll see at sporting events, but we've not even started to think about the design of any 8K products yet - I agree that it'll be at least a decade, probably more before 8K could become the norm. Personally I see no need for 8K at all gor home viewing, and better enhancements could be made by increasing data rates for 4K streams.

kinggo

increasing data rates for 4K streams.
this...... million times this...... each time some new codec appear they make file size smaller and we end up with the same crap. Sure, it is better for everyone else in the chain but the end result for viewer is the same as before. 250MB hevc file is not really better than 1GB x264. Now, 1GB hevc...... that would change the story.

sman009

Having just seen LG 8K TV in Costco ( Lakeside) today, I could not know the price. The TV is till in the box. I was unable to view the demo. However, the box marked
1AECD1ED-273A-4900-9004-2515D5D6A88C.jpeg
NanoCell 2019 mode.

sagaris99

Having just seen LG 8K TV in Costco ( Lakeside) today, I could not know the price. The TV is till in the box. I was unable to view the demo. However, the box marked View attachment 1267786NanoCell 2019 mode.
The demo is not likely to be on that TV, we can expect it on the new models.... Will be interesting to see

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
Considering typical UK house/room sizes can't accommodate really large TVs which could justify moving to an 8K TV, I reckon therefore the largest will probably be around 77" (and not many of them), so very few people, if indeed any, will be able to notice the difference between 4K and 8K, therefore spending money on 8K sets is a waste of hard-earned cash. In fact, there is a current article on these forums about this.