LG 86" UN85006LA LCD TV

TheGamer147

my camera just wont give it justice but this youtube video might? its a previous model, the 8500 has a few more bells and whistles, im really enjoying this tv, i have put a review for it up on richer sounds.
if you need any info just reply here.
What game is that

lozkinjones

Novice Member
just an update from me....i've had 12 hours with the TV.. followed a calibration guide for HDR and SDR content, sorted my sync issue and I'm afraid I'm just not impressed at all. I'm coming from a 65" KS8000 which got really good reviews, and whilst I knew I would be giving up a bit on HDR quality / brightness I thought the sheer scope of sitting 2m from an 85" tv would make up for it, but it just doesnt....I've watched a lot of HDR / 4k content on it today, and it is just not as bright and colourful as the KS8000 and it is now apparent that this is more important to me than size of panel. The "vivid" preset on the LG just looks awful and a tip of turning on "Dynamic Contrast" to high for HDR content doesn't work either.

I think I'm going to return this and pick up the 82" Samsung q70r which has very similar scores on Rtings for the KS8000 so I'd rather go to a slightly smaller screen for big picture improvement quality

limpduck

Standard Member
I use plex via a firestick and its fine, i don't have freeview hooked up it all goes via hdhomerun again via plex. My only issues so far is

1) There is vignetting, not much and only really noticeable on light flat areas
2) I can't seem to get arc working despite my amp detecting it.

But lets be honest its a budget very large screen tv, and overall im very happy with the performance.

basserphil

Lozkin , my brother has the samsung 60r , i find it far too bright, my personal preference though, coming from a samsung would be a big difference, LG are tuned more towards colour, samsungs are not.....this is a budget big tv and as i have previously bought LG, this is an upgrade

bertha

sorry to hear your not feeling the love - now that the shops are open again in Scotland I’m going to see if I can find one in the flesh to eyeball before I dive in...

martynkhill

Hi

If any of you have wall mounted this set, could you please advise the M ? size and length of thread into the set ( depth ) I think it is M8

Masterstroke

I've got the 75 inch version arriving Sunday having purchased from Currys for £1299. I feel disloyal to Richer Sounds (knew Julian from his London Bridge shop in the late '70's) who have it at the same price with free 6 years warranty, but they've not resumed their installation service yet and no way could I manhandle a set this size on my own. This is such a well specified TV it surely must be good at something. No reviews up anywhere yet.

basserphil

just watched Saving Private Ryan on uhd disc......the black levels, colour and general picture looked awesome......im very happy with this budget tv.

bertha

Hey Basserphil - hovering over the trigger on this one - do you have yours wall mounted? Just wondering which mount you are using ...mine would be mounted on a fairly flat (touch uneven in places) stone wall...

berth :)

bertha

Ok - just went for it - it was back in stock on Costco at £1999 with a good warranty...

Will need to get my giant nappy on when mounting it...

Seal

I've got the 75 inch version arriving Sunday having purchased from Currys for £1299. I feel disloyal to Richer Sounds (knew Julian from his London Bridge shop in the late '70's) who have it at the same price with free 6 years warranty, but they've not resumed their installation service yet and no way could I manhandle a set this size on my own. This is such a well specified TV it surely must be good at something. No reviews up anywhere yet.
Hey, just wondering how you getting on with it?

Tempted by the 75" myself so would love to hear more of your thoughts...

Cheers,

Masterstroke

Hey, just wondering how you getting on with it?

Tempted by the 75" myself so would love to hear more of your thoughts...

Cheers,
I'm going to put my thoughts up in a few days after I'm more used to it. So far there are pluses & minuses.

Masterstroke

I’ve had the 75 inch LG for a week now so am in a position to offer early opinions.

This is a replacement for a four & half year old OLED LG which was subject to increasing screen burn. My calibration is for now restricted to the none expert menus. I’ve made the choice to have it set to HDR Effect across all inputs, and am experimenting with Filmmaker mode which I find makes the picture a bit dark on occasions and at the moment have it set to off & as this feature is completely new to me it’s worth the experimentation. I definitely do not think much of the Sport mode, it’s like Vivid x 3, and being a non gamer have no interest in these settings. I also have an AppleTV box connected via an Atmos enabled sound bar & eARC, so am able to compare with the built in apps and have re-installed PLEX for my hard drive stored films but experienced the usual buffering issues so have returned to play that content from my Mac Mini which is connected to HDMI 1 which I think is 2.1 enabled. There are no firmware updates available at this time other than to the Prime app. The TV is feet mounted on a just the right size oak cabinet & viewed from 7ft which is within the recommended viewing range and it really does seem huge compared to the outgoing 55 incher. If like me you’re using a sound bar immediately in front of the set you will have to make allowance for the standby light at the bottom/centre of the screen for use with the remote. I’ve had to raise the TV a little at both ends to allow for this.

The magic remote has dedicated buttons that take you directly to Netflix, Prime and Rakuten Films, all of which is a bit unnecessary as they are in the apps section which is only one button press away. I’m well used to the LG operating system and have no problems navigating my way around this TV which is simplicity itself.

To pass Atmos to a processor or sound bar it is essential to activate Dolby Digital Plus from the sound settings. I missed this at first then remembered reading something about it elsewhere. Netflix & Apple TV+ apps pass it OK but I’m unable to get Prime Atmos. Nor is there any evidence of Dolby Vision with Prime. Odd that as I’m sure I could with the LG OLED. The TVs own sound system is OK with a number of processing preferences including virtual surround and Atmos although I haven’t really bothered with it that much. There is no BBC iPlayer app and no way to access BBC red button digital services. It just does not work from any of the regular four coloured remote buttons or from anywhere else that I can find. Perhaps more informed people will have helpful info on this.

First thing I noticed when watching during daytime was that there is poor anti reflection suppression, although not so bad later in the day when lighting is on and obviously dependant on content. There is Dolby Vision IQ installed which is supposed to adjust lighting to match content and ambient conditions, but TBH I have not been too impressed with this as detail in dark scenes is still not all that good. This is only an early impression, so maybe I’m being a bit unkind here. A good test is a movie on Prime: “The Vast Of Night” which is filmed almost entirely at night.

From off air HD TV transmissions the pictures are superb with fine detail, colour & motion control but SD is practically unwatchable. Prime from all sources can be really poor with SD stuff but Apple TV+, Netflix & Prime HD, 4K & UHD from the apps are worthy of a TV of this size & specs. I no longer have a blu-ray player so unable to make any comparisons.

Another minus is what I have come to learn from watching Rtings reviews as “dirty screen effect” (DSE) and is evident in content that is very much of a single light colour and can be seen as a vertical band 4 to12 inches wide at each side of the screen with a little smudging in the centre. I see it mostly while using my Mac Mini (lots of white screen time) but generally while watching TV or films I tend to forget it as it’s not really at all distracting until becoming more obvious under certain conditions. I don’t know if that can be resolved by calibration but perhaps something to check for. There’s good articles explaining DSE: (http//electronics.howstuffworks.com/dirty-screen-effect.htm) and also Rtings: Gray Uniformity of TVs: Dirty Screen Effect (DSE) which suggests that it’s variable from set to set and cannot be cured but perhaps relieved with adjustments to brightness control. I’ve brightened by 10 points and it does help a little, so will continue experimentation.

I’m not one for making recordings as I rely on catch up services on Apple TV box or Mac Mini and hopefully on the LG if & when eventually fully updated.

All in all I’m quite pleased with this TV and hope I don’t sound smug by saying that I see it as a relatively inexpensive in-between (my screen burnt OLED & future 8K) TV for perhaps the next three or four years and then review the situation.

Update 04.08.2020 I've been using the TVs own sound system a bit more for news & discussion type programmes and am really impressed and it saves a bit on the electricity bill with the sound bar off.

Last edited:

bertha

Thanks for taking the time to review :) I'm still waiting to hear on my delivery date - been over a week now - but I will do likewise with my review of sorts if I can get the bugger in the wall ;)