LG 86" UN85006LA LCD TV

basserphil

just bought this tv, the black levels for a lcd are very very good, faint bloom in one corner, but hardly noticable.
Very very impressed so far with picture quality and specification, will be testing out pc 120 htz gaming later.

limpduck

Standard Member
been looking for review's of this for a while now. The specs look good for the price/size any chance you can post some images etc when you get time?

basserphil

my camera just wont give it justice but this youtube video might? its a previous model, the 8500 has a few more bells and whistles, im really enjoying this tv, i have put a review for it up on richer sounds.
if you need any info just reply here.

Last edited:

bertha

Hi there folks - can I check what wall brackets you are using? Assuming that’s what you are doing with this monster :) My tv unit is pretty wide but the legs will be too far apart on this model for it...

ps well done getting a price match from Richer sounds -it’s been out of stock on the Costco site for the past week

cheers
b

limpduck

Standard Member
its worth checking costco everyday, i went to order it last monday from costco but it went out of stock, got richer sounds to price match another site selling it at 2199, then got a site change alert thursday, phoned up and they did it for £25 less than the costco price. So less than £2k for an 86" tv.

Ive not wall mounted it yet but its on the list, ive have 2 ikea tv stands next to each other which it is currently standing on. Its fine but if i want to change cables behind it etc then i have to get the wife to help move it first. Yes its heavy at 45kg but the shear size means you will need some one else to help move it. Coming from a panasonic plasma tv i did have my heart set on a oled, but i wanted something to replace a projector.

bertha

Exciting stuff - well done on your purchase :)

Be interested to see how you get on - meanwhile I'm off to stakeout Costco ;)

limpduck

Standard Member
just under 4m, bare in mind its in a dedicated, tv/game area not in a lounge. We did have a projector screen about 2.5m in width before. Actually managed to wall hang it as well so hopefully it stays put!

]|EGG|[

Thanks for posting tabout this TV @basserphil , I haven't been able to find much info online about this TV which is a real shame as it sounds like a great TV for the price considering it also has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports too!

How's watching HDR content on it and have you tried watching any sports on it?

I was originally concerned that it had an IPS panel but I've just learnt that the 82" version actually has a VA panel (unlike the IPS found in the 75" and 86") so I might go for that as I'm not a gamer and the VA panels I've seen always seem to offer better contrast and colour reproduction at the expense of viewing angles etc.

Really hoping that watching fast moving sports (Football) isn't a problem on this TV due to the 100Hz refresh rate as I've been really struggling to find a 75"+ TV under £2k with a refresh rate above 60Hz.

I think for the money this might be the cheapest 75"+ screen TV with 100/120Hz unless anyone knows of anything cheaper?

bertha

quick opinion please?
£1999 with only 1 year warranty or £2299 with 5/6 year warranty?
Cheers thanks :)

lozkinjones

Novice Member
Anyone know why there arent any reviews on this TV from the normal places? I can find very little iinformation about this online and would like a bit more info before I spend 2k!

basserphil

Mr Egg, sports on this tv are super smooth, football in hd is a delight, colour and black levels are superb for an lcd, unlike my previous lg this set has practically no blooming ....im very happy with it.....be aware theres no bbc iplayer yet so i cannot test hlg hdr

martynkhill

Mr Egg, sports on this tv are super smooth, football in hd is a delight, colour and black levels are superb for an lcd, unlike my previous lg this set has practically no blooming ....im very happy with it.....be aware theres no bbc iplayer yet so i cannot test hlg hdr
Hi Basserphil

Is yours the 86" or 82" version ? I have the 82" on order

Martyn

lozkinjones

Novice Member
Just got the 86” set up and the scale of it is impressive but I’m not particularly happy with the picture presets, and can’t see any calibration guides anywhere. Does anyone have any tips for HDR and standard content?

bertha

Where's the sick with jealousy emoji... ;)

Enjoy - I'm hoping to get one in a couple of weeks if I can... what did you get it for if you don't mind my asking?

bertha

Be interested to hear what you think once you've had a good play with the settings and tested it out etc...

lozkinjones

Novice Member
I got it from Argos for £2299 - did next day delivery and my old tv packed up!

couple of issues so far - needs some calibration to get a better picture and I’ve got a weird lip sync issue on Plex...I’ve got 4k HDR content that I play through an Apple TV but it’s out of sync...native Plex app doesn’t play hdr content without buffering so it’s a problem! A quick google search suggest lip sync is an issue people have had and to try plugging the external device straight into the receiver, but my receiver is old and doesnt pass through 4K so a few issues to sort out!

bertha

Ah ok - hope you get that sorted...my amp is getting on a bit but does have 4k pass through...the main things I'd be hooking up are Sky Q, PS4 (maybe PS5 later) and a Sony UHD player - plus the usual Netflix, Prime etc...

Unlikely to use the built in tuner for freeview etc...