Lg 77GX or Samsung 75Q950T????

Cuteygrim

Novice Member
Hi everyone

Im torn between these two. Would like to hear expert opinion from you guys. I mainly watch Netflix, Prime Video, HBO, Youtube and internet tv. Please help.

Tony

Dodgexander

Very different TVs for different situations. The OLED will clearly be better if you intend to enjoy watching the TV in dark conditions and you like the idea of the best viewing angles and the least motion blur.

Whilst the Q950T is really more of a TV for someone who uses their TV in bright conditions, and values sheer brightness over deeper blacks. The TV also has less motion stutter.

Both TVs are more than good enough for most people though.

Your usage doesn't really make one TV better than the other, LG back Dolby Vision HDR on Netflix, Samsung HDR10+ on Amazon. Your own viewing conditions and what you value in picture quality are more important when it comes to making the correct decision.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
Very different TVs for different situations. The OLED will clearly be better if you intend to enjoy watching the TV in dark conditions and you like the idea of the best viewing angles and the least motion blur.

Whilst the Q950T is really more of a TV for someone who uses their TV in bright conditions, and values sheer brightness over deeper blacks. The TV also has less motion stutter.

Both TVs are more than good enough for most people though.

Your usage doesn't really make one TV better than the other, LG back Dolby Vision HDR on Netflix, Samsung HDR10+ on Amazon. Your own viewing conditions and what you value in picture quality are more important when it comes to making the correct decision.
Dodge, can I ask a basic question? Dark conditions? This comes up time and time again. I have an OLED but we never watch in total dark, we watch with lamps on and in daytime with quite big windows.

I guess my question is how much light before LCD is more sensible?

Dodgexander

Dodge, can I ask a basic question? Dark conditions? This comes up time and time again. I have an OLED but we never watch in total dark, we watch with lamps on and in daytime with quite big windows.

I guess my question is how much light before LCD is more sensible?
The biggest weakness in LCD TV tech is the inability to control the backlight perfectly, if you watch an OLED and an LCD side by side in a dark room you'll easily notice a difference in one having greater shadow detail and blacks than the other. You'd need to watch in very dark conditions though, and perhaps even having a small lamp on in the room would offset the apparent difference.

So for someone who watches in bright conditions, one of the main disadvantages of LCD tech is less apparent. That coupled with the Samsung TVs ability to handle glare exceptionally, and ability to get a lot brighter in HDR mode means the TV is better suited for someone who wants to use HDR during the day, and wants to be troubled the least with reflections.

That doesn't mean the Samsung is a better choice in all scenarios though For example, viewing angles are still better on an OLED, and OLED TVs have no motion blur either.

The other thing to consider is in most comparisons (LCD vs OLED) the LCD TV is priced considerably cheaper. Therefore spending more money on a TV to view in conditions that don't get the best out of it isn't sensible compared to conditions that do.

But to answer your question, you probably need to view with no light, or next to no light to notice the difference in shadow detail. If you are viewing with lights on or during the day, a lot of that detail will be lost in the picture.

Slugsy01

Distinguished Member
The biggest weakness in LCD TV tech is the inability to control the backlight perfectly, if you watch an OLED and an LCD side by side in a dark room you'll easily notice a difference in one having greater shadow detail and blacks than the other. You'd need to watch in very dark conditions though, and perhaps even having a small lamp on in the room would offset the apparent difference.

So for someone who watches in bright conditions, one of the main disadvantages of LCD tech is less apparent. That coupled with the Samsung TVs ability to handle glare exceptionally, and ability to get a lot brighter in HDR mode means the TV is better suited for someone who wants to use HDR during the day, and wants to be troubled the least with reflections.

That doesn't mean the Samsung is a better choice in all scenarios though For example, viewing angles are still better on an OLED, and OLED TVs have no motion blur either.

The other thing to consider is in most comparisons (LCD vs OLED) the LCD TV is priced considerably cheaper. Therefore spending more money on a TV to view in conditions that don't get the best out of it isn't sensible compared to conditions that do.

But to answer your question, you probably need to view with no light, or next to no light to notice the difference in shadow detail. If you are viewing with lights on or during the day, a lot of that detail will be lost in the picture.
One of the most useful contributions I’ve had, thank you Dodge. I suspect my room is more suited to a LCD, but it may be the viewing angles that are the issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom