LG 75"Nano99 what kind of "blackmagic" is this for a IPS panel?

It is clear that I will not receive comments, you only want your beloved OLED technology

in that room with very little light it gives those blacks, and it has more luminosity than an OLED, higher definition, better colors and 8k resolution

Do you intend to put aside something like this ... for better blacks only visible in certain scenes of a movie ... and run the risk of screen burns due to cable TV menus, and games?

Not bad at all... What are your 'Picture Mode Settings'?

Yeah, don't worry about the blooming and if that ambient light was off it wouldn't look that black, what a crock :rotfl:

Dont judge black levels from Youtube videos unless you see 2 TVs compared. How black it looks will only depend on camera settings and the device you are watching it with. Most videos that try to demonstrate blooming or black levels are filming in high ISO levels so even viewers with a low contrast device can clearly see the difference.

Looks good to me. I wonder the same, I see many people obsessed with OLED despite its problems with burn in and overall dimness that I see in many comparison videos.

My local richer sound didn't have a nano cell in their display stock. I am going to ask around and see if any where has any in stock so I can compare in person. Only way realy.

Looks good to me. I wonder the same, I see many people obsessed with OLED despite its problems with burn in and overall dimness that I see in many comparison videos.

My local richer sound didn't have a nano cell in their display stock. I am going to ask around and see if any where has any in stock so I can compare in person. Only way realy.

The difference between and OLED and IPS (nanocell) side by side would be extremely obvious with any kind of dark room/black content.

In a well lit room with lots of colors on screen you can mask the differences at a basic glance.

Contrast on IPS is one of their major weaknesses and they cant get particularly bright either (worse than OLED in fact).

They are good for colours and wide viewing angles and high refesh rates which is why IPS is most popular on PC monitors.

But for TV's they are not so desriable unless your on a buget and if your not on a budget one of the wide viewing angle VA panels from Samsung and Sony's top of the line TV's are a better choice in my opinion beating IPS in most areas.

Allegedly LG is prepping mini-LED IPS TV's for 2021, these could deliver a bump to overall image quality and make them more competitive but the predicted costs puts them only 10% cheaper than OLED.

Allegedly LG is prepping mini-LED IPS TV's for 2021, these could deliver a bump to overall image quality and make them more competitive but the predicted costs puts them only 10% cheaper than OLED.

I dont think this will be a bad choice:
1.) OLEDs have burn in so you will get a lot less time out of it and have to worry about static content.
2.) OLEDs can not get very bright unless it is only a few bright areas while IPS in theory could be turned up a lot further if contrast issues are fixed.
3.) I think they would add mini LED to their 8K lineup and 8K OLEDs are above 10K. I think it is the other way round: The 8K lineup needs mini LED because TVs in the 8K price range are expected to have good HDR effects.

For what it's worth the 99 series has had some positive reviews:

I've ordered at the 65in version of the Nano99. I've had LG (and one Panasonic) IPS FALD sets since 2010 and I'm more than happy with the black levels etc, particularly as I rarely watch things in a totally dark room.

Of course OLED is better, but like a few on these forums I just don't want the worry of burn-in, even though things may have improved with OLED tech in recent years. I would have gone down the VA route years ago but have never been totally content with the viewing angles. I tried a Samsung 950R last year, in the hope that the wide-view filter had improved things in this area; it had, but I found the colour / contrast-shift in the vertical plain really jarring (something I wasn't really expecting) and returned the set.

As has been said many times on this site, there's no such thing as the perfect TV. IPS with FALD suits my purposes for the time being, flaws and all.

Last edited:
rtings is currently working on a review. Those 3 "reviews" above just reviewed the data sheet and did not measure anything.

I don't suspect the Nano99 will fare particularly well in the rtings review.

The three reviews I linked to above appear to be the various writers just reporting what they saw by the looks of it, without taking any measurements; and I suppose we can make of that what we will. Their experiences are similar to what I have seen of these sets, and what I have experienced with IPS FALD in general over the past decade or so.

Last edited:
Last years SM9900 was very bad TV for it's price. This Nano99 also should be bad. Lets see rtings review, it should be available after week.
For lot less money You can buy Sony or Samsung FALD tv's without useless 8K and with way better picture quality.

You can't just a picture from a youtube video because the camera adjusts exposure to make the blacks inky if someone doesn't film properly.

I can make a projector with the worst contrast ratios look like an OLED with my iphone.

Initial tests from rtings are quite poor as far as contrast goes, much as I suspected. It's odd, as this has not been my experience with the set at all, but there you go.

What hoy think about this bleeding ? Iam very angry

Screenshot_20201211-024444__01.jpg
Screenshot_20201211-024509__01.jpg

Last edited:
If you take a bit of time experimenting with the various settings, you can eliminate much of this bleeding etc. It is still an LCD set however, not an OLED one, so the black levels will never be truly inky, but they should be much better than what is shown here.

What hoy think about this bleeding ? Iam very angry

.. I have a Panasonic IPS based television in the bedroom that looks like yours but with a lamp on it's transformed. IPS isn't for a dark room. No matter what the marketing says about dimming zones and such like. Watch with a light on and enjoy the wonderful motion colours and viewing angles. All technologies have their drawbacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the rtings review:

Contrast is really horrible. It is by far the worst contrast of all 293 TVs tested including the ultra budget ones below 200$.

Here is the rtings review:

Contrast is really horrible. It is by far the worst contrast of all 293 TVs tested including the ultra budget ones below 200$.
Must admit I was surprised by that review. I will be interested in seeing mini led next year with IPS panel.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom