LG 65UH770 Opinions please ?

whiteswan

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi

Costco have dropped this set to £990 inc vat and delivery.

I am in the market for a 65 inch 4k but cannot find much info on it.

Does anybody have one ?

Dave

Thank you for the reply - it comes with a 5 year warranty and 90 day return policy so can't see why I shouldn't take a chance to be honest - it just bothers me a bit there is not much mention of it on here.

Its a 10 bit panel with HDR Dolby Vision - surely quite a few people on here will have one ?

Dave

Last edited:
It's actually not a 10bit panel, it's 8bit+FRC, which as far as I understand means is a software sim of 10bit but lacks the hardware of a 10bit panel, kinda like Sony 85 series aren't true HDR despite the tag. From what I could find out, unlike true 10bit, which produces 1.07 billion colours, 8bit+FRC is just simulating those between 16.78 million and 1.07 billion but supposedly it does a pretty good job and in most cases the difference might not even be visible.

In addition, despite its "quantum" designation, there's nothing quantum about the 770 and while it supports HDR10 and HDR Dolby Vision, it doesn't reach anywhere near 1.000 nits, which (along with other stuff) is the standard for UHD Premium and generally what a TV is supposed to need to fully benefit from HDR and what you get p.ex. in Samsung KS8000. On the other hand, OLEDs don't come close to 1.000 nits, either, but they have the contrast working for them and color gammut so they're considered UHD Premium.

Similarly to the situation with Samsung KS7000 and 8000, there seems to be very little difference between LG770 and 850, as far as I can tell 3D is the only one.

There are excellent side by side comparisons of LG OLED B6 and Samsung KS8000 showing different content and it's useful to help one decide whether one prefers the level of blacks and color accuracy of OLED or luminance of a Samsung UHD Premium. In my view it does come down to a matter of personal taste.

Having said that, while clearly there's some corner cutting in 770, local dimming p.ex. seems to be more trouble than its worth, and being an IPS panel (100/120 Hz) with Edge LED, it's still a top notch TV. A guy called Mr 4k Upscaler has seceral indepth reviews of 770 and when it plays 4k and HDR content, it looks great. It's worth checking out how amazing even the blacks look, despite what the good folks at rtings.com or cnet would have you believe (they trashed the 770).

Upscaling is supposed to be decent, not as good as Sony's but OK, same goes for motion flow, a firmware update last year is reported to have resolved those issues.

I'm considering a 65 inch 770 myself, against 60" Samsung KS7000 and 55" B6 OLED. Where I live, 65" 770 is €1.500, 60" KS7000 is €1.700 and (with a bit of luck or effort) B6 can be had for €1.900. I haven't decided yet. 65" is a monster, almost twice the size of a 47" and LG also has its excellent webOS going for it, for €400 difference compared to B6 I can also get a Minix Kodi box and a new NAS, p.ex. Synology 216+ii, which has 4k transcoding. On the other hand, though, subscriptions for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video are very reasonable and a TV of this calibre deserves to work with pure 4K and HDR content.

Oh, almost forgot, some reviewers on Amazon, where 770 otherwise has very favorable ratings, complain of severe clouding. Obviously all LED LCD panels can suffer from this but in the case of LG, they call it the LG roulette, there's supposed to be a 5-10% chance of getting a panel with clouding so bad as to make it unwatchable. I cannot confirm or deny this but anywhere in EU one can return an item bought on internet in 15 days, no questions asked, for a full refund.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom