Question LG 65SK8000PLB 65-Inch Super UHD 4K HDR Premium Smart LED TV - £1470 AMAZON

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by rmonkey100, Jul 16, 2018.

1. rmonkey100

rmonkey100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
  2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    It’ll have poor black levels and contrast due to LG using an ips panel. It’ll be a good option if you need wide viewing angles but if you don’t then look elsewhere.

Blacks will appear grey in anything but a well lit room.

3. rmonkey100

rmonkey100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Yeah that's what I was thinking, will pass, just got a Hisense 65U7A and that's fine so far

4. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    While I don't doubt what you're saying, I refuse to believe that the blacks are as bad as are always made out when it comes to the LG LCD TV's.

5. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,205
    They’re bad compared to va panels. It’s an inherent flaw of the panel.

6. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    I guess I’m just saying that one aspect shouldn’t be the ultimate deterrent in relation to buying this TV.

Like I could buy this TV and my wife wouldn’t find any faults with it, certainly no mentions of blacks being off and I’m sure the majority of people buying a TV off the street wouldn’t notice it either.

I’d say that the TV has a lot going for it but as soon as it’s mentioned it’s IPS, it’s immediately shot down.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    That's an interesting view. What is it that it has going for it? As far as I can see it's very, very overpriced for what it is, even at its sale price. It has decent smart TV and wide viewing angles, but I would get one of last years models on clearance discount instead if I needed wide viewing angles.

Gotta remember this is an enthusiast forum, whilst I agree there is nothing wrong with the LG people do come here to get opinions from people highly critical of picture quality and for AV enthusiasts blacks, higher contrast and a more uniform screen are usually of highest priority, something IPS technology really tends to struggle with.

About Prime day btw, I wouldn't even bother to look at the discounts they have on TVs unless its on a 2017 model. 2018 models have just been released with very high RRPs (apart from Hisense) so they are not going to be good bang for buck even with a large discount.

8. BMox81

BMox81

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,700
    I think we’ve discussed before that I believe the fact it has Dolby Vision is a major draw for the TV, and as you mentioned webOS, but I know you don’t so no point treading over old ground.

Appreciate that you’re giving your opinion but I just feel that LG gets a bum deal when it comes to their Super UHD range.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    Oh sorry @BMox81 didn't realise we had talked about it before.

I guess it depends what you want for a TV, not trying to argue here just interested.