LG 65G7 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Jul 23, 2017.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,083
      • Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +727
      Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any mention of the fact that this tv is £1,000 more than its predecessor, I.e. the G6 that launched at £6,000 in 2016. None of the other LG OLED models have seen price hikes so why the G7? I wonder if it's been priced at £7,000 to make the jump to £8,000 for the wallpaper smaller but also to make the £5,000 E7 seem like a relative bargain. I wonder if anyone who knows about TVs will ever buy this model and only those that price equals quality; the higher the price the better the quality of an item.

3. jaykay001

jaykay001
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      Lovely TV and a great review.

But in my opinion, utterly pointless if you look at the E7 and W7.

4. ODB_69

ODB_69
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,583
      Touches on it at the start:

5. Collusion

Collusion

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      Fantastic review!

How is the colour reproduction compared to 2016 models? I've got a B6 and it seems to have too strong colors, especially red, in lower IRE values. This makes some dark sequences to look a bit artificial from time to time.

6. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,083
      I think the colour reproduction is spot-on, especially at lower IRE levels, which a strong point of OLED compared to LCD which suffers from light bleeding through from the backlight.

7. tman

tman

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +187
      Strange how LG seem to have reached a point where current OLED technology has reached a plateau. There's nothing really here to tempt anyone if they bought a 2016 model, and the price increase doesn't justify the feature set. With more manufacturers now selling OLED, competition should also be forcing prices down not up!

Sure, the tech is great, but it's still priced way out of reach of the average buyer. Who the heck can justify spending £7k on a TV, no matter how 'good' it is.

8. Chamberlain

Chamberlain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,737
      Well you don't have to buy this. You get the same performance or extremely similar with a B7 or C7 and prices are dropping fast for them...

9. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +727
      But it never mentions the fact that the 'G' model is now £1,000 more in 2017. Just curious to know why LG put up the price of this model only. Is it clever marketing or something else!?

10. Collusion

Collusion

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +42
      So I reckon 2017 models have better colour reproduction?

B6 can be calibrated with a bit unconventional methods to achieve better skin tone accuracy. This is done by lowering colour to 46 and changing tint to G2. After that CMS is used to boost primary and secondary colour saturation and brightess. The accuracy of 100% primary colours will somewhat suffer, since the CMS will introduce artifacts after too much correction. But in the end, this leads to more realistic colour palette.

11. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +941
      I wonder what the market for this TV will be, because as Steve says, when you get into this level of high-end TV, who won't be using an AV Receiver and separate speakers?

The B7 (I recently bought one) seems to be the sweet spot. It's essentially just the panel, with no frills attached.

Lovely TV overall with truly amazing black levels. The only criticisms I have are very poor motion handling (compared to a plasma), and that sometimes things can look a bit plasticy and lurid, almost like an LCD. It lacks that lovely subtle, realistic looks plasmas have.

12. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +941
      I just bought a 65" B7 for £3500, with a free UHD BD Player thrown in, so there's no need to spend £7000. PQ is identical across the entire LG OLED range this year.

13. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
      Steve another excellent review,
      Just a question. Would you say from your reviews of other manufacturers OLED sets that in terms of banding, LG keep less banding panels for themselves for their TV.

14. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,083
      Well I'm not saying that's what they're doing but the 65" E7 and G7 definitely had less obvious banding than the 65" A1 and EZ1002. Having said that the 55" OLEDs that I've seen have all been really good, there's virtually none on my B7 and I couldn't really see any on an A1 that I was calibrating on Saturday.

15. JoeSepi

JoeSepi

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +876
      My B7 65" is a joke, I get a replacement Wednesday, not sure what I'm going to do if that one is bandy too.

16. Dubliner1

Dubliner1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Dublin, Ireland / San Diego, California, USA.
      Ratings:
      +1,113
      Great review...but at this price tho I do wish they could add a backlight to the remotes. Makes things so much easier.

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +727
      Nice price! :smashin:

18. Dazkim

Dazkim
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7
      What store is that from.

19. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +727
      Does the 9/10 score take into account it's £7,000 price? Personally I would have marked it down for this. Especially considering the E6's £5,000 rrp.

20. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +941
      Power Direct. I believe the offer I used at the time is now finished though.

21. Chamberlain

Chamberlain

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,737
      You should post some slides in the B7 owners thread Steve. ;) Seriously though, that sounds encouraging about the 55".

22. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +575
      I'm sorry Steve but this seems 100% at odds to any recommendation. I guess in an isolated existence, but it simply isn't! I'm not sure why LG are even building it.

However, being a former Kuro owner and now an LG OLED owner, I'm totally taken in with the tech and the image quality. All I can say to those thinking about OLED is don't, get in there! Just not this one.

23. toodeep

toodeep

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +334
      Is it correct that the OLED panel is bonded to a pane of glass rather than to a plastic support as were last year's models?

24. deja vu

deja vu

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +93
      I would guess that 9/10 leaves room just in case something better comes along this year -- what are the chances? I ended up purchasing two 65" E6 TVs at the end of 2016 for about 55% of the original list price and I'll take those two over everything offered this year due to the 2016 LG OLEDs having superb 3D (including 2D to 3D conversion if manually set up properly). I have a number of displays but the E6 TVs have the best PQ of them all. I give them a 10/10 for 2D and 3D while I'd give my 2 JVC projectors a 9/10 for 2D and a 8/10 for 3D. My Epson LS10000 gets a 9/10 for 2D and a 6.5/10 for 3D. My Sony 940D gets a 7/10 for 2D (it would get a 9/10 if not for the trailing issue) and I won't rate its 3D since it is soooooo bad. I've already had a board replaced in the 940D (my last Sony). Scores only tell you so much -- living with these displays for an extended length of time is the real test!

25. MrOpinionated

MrOpinionated

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +31
      @stevewithers
      Once again a wonderfully comprehensive review, however I do have a burning question regarding all the 2017 TV's reviewed so far this year. So I don't think any of them have scored a perfect 10 this year, and I am wondering whether 2017 is the year to purchase a TV or as an industry expert you would recommend waiting a while for that perfect 10 TV that is hopefully on the horizon in January?
      There is obviously something lacking in this years crop of TV's that is holding you back from that score?

26. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,083
      No TV technology is perfect, hence nothing scored a perfect 10, plus there's a lot of change at the moment making it hard to choose any one TV as a reference point. Having said that for the majority of your viewing I think OLED is excellent, although some LCD TVs are better when it comes to HDR. As for buying a TV this year, let's put it this way, I just bought a B7 so perhaps that answers your question.

27. XRaVer

XRaVer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51
      Good morning Steve,

I've looking for an OLED to buy but there's something that's been putting me off for 2 years now.

All LG OLED's i've tested have manifested bad motion on 24p material... and that's just weird.

I've tested a 55C6 , 55B7 and 55E7 , all with one of my favourite scenes from "The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey" , the scene at the very beginning of the movie, when Bilbo is starting to write on his book his memories... the next slow pan from the book is just terrible to watch.

All the OLED's where fed by a WD Live Media Player capable of 1080p / 24hz output and/or a Samsung F9750W Bluray Player.

The scene just seems to stutter and/or to "tear" as the image moves on ... the very next scene where there is a pan and swirl down to the dwarves caves also manifested the same severe issue.

I've also seen this, to a lower extent, with Skyfall and Gravity.

I've seen it also with DVD's ( 50Hz ) ...

The TV was in ISF Dark Room, with all the picture enhancements off, including the HDMI enhanced option.
      The motion settings where:
      RealCinema: On
      TruMotion: Off

The only way to stop this was by setting TruMotion to "Clear" , but the image was impossible to watch due to SOE.
      By using custom mode i could not achieve a setting i was confortable with ( can you suggest a setting for motion )

I've tested the same scene on a Sony 65A1 and there was no evidence of such a problem!
      The Sony was with TrueCinema: ON and MotionFlow: Off

What's wrong with the LG's ?! Am i doing something wrong?
      I have the TV's at my local store to test, and i would like to see if i can "solve" this issue so that i am finally able to buy an OLED... i'm not going to buy the Sony that's twice as expensive as the LG's.

Hope to hear from you soon.
      Best regards,
      Daniel Pinto

28. BAMozzy

BAMozzy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,623
      It does seem somewhat ridiculous but I guess if you were after an OLED with the best 'built in' Sound Bar and the W7's separate bar is not appealing, not interested in wall mounting and/or the price is a bit steep, you can go for this.

Personally, if I had the money to spend on LG's latest OLED range, I would be more interested in the W7 - mainly because I prefer to wall mount and having all the connections in the separate sound bar would be a much neater solution. If budget was a bit tighter, the B7 would suffice - Same PQ, aesthetically maybe not so nice and more wires to hide when wall mounted but as most people would have an external sound solution, the audio performance would not be an issue.

My biggest complaint about the E6/G6 would be the connectivity when wall mounted - especially with the sound bar swivel up so all the connections would be facing up. I now its probably 'neater' than pointing back but I think I would prefer the connections in the back of the TV rather than in the soundbar in this situation. I do think Manufacturers place the connections in such a way that its 'beneficial' to table top positioning - rather than wall mounting. It would be great if they were more 'central' and face inward to the centre. All cables then go up the middle and connect to the left and right and could be hidden by a central stand or single channel when wall mounted. Most point outwards so you end up bending them back over themselves to the middle channel. I really like the OCB that Samsung do (not so much the 2017 range that require a power supply) and the method used by LG's W7 meaning you have minimal wires to hide when wall mounted.

29. MAX1210

MAX1210

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,230
      How is the Sony twice the price?

Sony 55A1 = £2999
      LG 55B7 = £2249-£2299
      LG 55C7 = £2499
      LG 55E7 = £2999
      Pana - 55EZ952 = £2799

Yes, the Sony 65A1 is £4699 but what size are you after - I presume 55" as that's the size of the LG's you tested?

30. XRaVer

XRaVer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51
      Actually the size for purchase is 65" , i've only tested 55" LG's because that's what was available in store.
      The Sony was only available in 65"
      Ok ... not really twice as much ... but as we speak the 65B7 costs 3249,99€ and the Sony A1 4559€
      And Yes... that's in EUR ... remind that the LG also has a cashback of 500€ ( LG PORTUGAL- CAMPANHAS E PROMOÇÕES )

So that's not a small price difference ... and i would happily keep the LG if i could solve the motion issues :(