• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 65EF950V or Samsung 65" JS9500?

serial45

Established Member
Hi guys,

First off I was almost completely sold on getting the Samsung, until the reviews started appearing for the LG.

There are two initial concerns. First off we have two couches in the living room, only one of them is the optimal position for the samsung, the other is to the side - i've heard that if you view it off centre then the viewing range is poor.

The other is I do like to play console games. I currently have a 65" viera. One of the major minus points i'm reading on the LG is that it is really poor for gaming on. Can any of you comment further on this?

Also what is LG like for reliability? I know a few years back they were pretty poor.

Also will both sets support media playback of H264/H265 mpeg4?

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited:

dr no

What type of games do you play?
Unless you play FPS online multiplayer TV lag isn't really relevant. Even then the LG isn't bad. Something like 50ms.
Both will play the latest encoding.
But off axis viewing will be compromise in the Samsung.
Reliability wise I'd say LG is behind although they are leading the field wth OLED.
They are both great TVs but personally OLEDs are the future and if you can compromises some issues the LG is much better picture IMO

serial45

Established Member
I don't play any fps games on my console. Just play RPGs, racing games and action games like bloodborne.

Although considering bringing the pc downstairs and connecting another graphics card in SLI. Hear PC connection works really well on both TVs.

Cheers for the response :).

frog61

Established Member
Hi Serial
What did you decide to do in the end?
In similar boat, considering whether LG or Samsung. Keen to hear about off centre viewing and whether console gaming is any good on this. I mainly play fps and rpg, which I think the 9500 would be perfect for, but worried about off centre viewing.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom