LG 65EC970V (65" 4K OLED) Owners Thread

The Limey

Reaction score
5TzJkc.jpg

Well after much deliberation over the last few weeks, I have decided to take the plunge on an 65EC970V. Why?
- I am not that bothered with the lack of HDR and would rather wait to see how that pans out over the next few years.
- My purchase of a Pioneer BDP-LX88 involved testing it at Sevenoaks Sound and Vision and I was
gobsmacked at how good upscaled BDs looked on a 4k Sony LED. What are upscaled BDs going to look like on a 4k OLED? Yes the 4k itch has started since January basically.
- Seeing that LG still seem to be currently manufacturing them also was an encouragement. Some
very recent buyers are reporting MFD dates of April 2015.
- User reports mostly seem pretty good.

John Lewis price matched Richer Sounds for me today and delivery is Friday after 14.00pm. 5 days to wait for my viewing to be upgraded to a 65" 4K OLED. Time to count down the days methinks.

Last edited:
Good looking tv hope u Get a good one :smashin:

Good looking tv hope u Get a good one :smashin:

Thanks, Vak.
Fingers crossed but I am hopeful of a recent MFD - like the batch that has just arrived in the US. I am also pleased and surprised to see that LG are still making these sets...

I have emailed Gordon in the hope that he can come down and calibrate this asap, so as to get the very best out of this set from the outset.

Congrats. I actually prefer the stand of this model to the one of the EG960 as it reminds me of the beautiful Sony W905 stand.
Looking forward to what you'll have to say about it. How much did you pay?

Congrats. I actually prefer the stand of this model to the one of the EG960 as it reminds me of the beautiful Sony W905 stand.
Looking forward to what you'll have to say about it. How much did you pay?

Thanks, Yappa.
I too prefer this stand (not a fan of the chunky mounts of the 2015 range) but I have also got coming from JL, the dedicated wall mounting bracket for this TV. I may let it stand on the 980's unit for a while though, depending on how Friday pans out basically. Delivery is between 14.00pm and 21.00pm and I paid £5999.00

Another plus for this TV is LG's promise of a firmware update for the Web OS later this year.
Would be nice to be able to fast forward through the next few days...

Last edited:

Best of luck:)

Will the 970 be capable of HDR?

Last edited:
Congratulations, Limey. Would I be right in thinking this'd make you the first UK 65" OLED owner that we're aware of?

Like others, I'm jealous - and hoping to follow you to what hopefully proves for you to be 65" OLED nirvana before too long.

Desk

Best of luck:)

Will the 970 be capable of HDR?

Thanks AI.
The 970 is only going to get HDR via a hardware update which makes the possibility less likely. I am not that fazed to be honest as HDR will probably need a year or two to iron itself out basically.

Congratulations, Limey. Would I be right in thinking this'd make you the first UK 65" OLED owner that we're aware of?

Like others, I'm jealous - and hoping to follow you to what hopefully proves for you to be 65" OLED nirvana before too long.

Desk

Thanks, Desk.
Just got to count the days down now until Friday. I may see if I can bring the delivery forward to Thursday afternoon as that was offered.
I am guessing that as far as the forums are concerned - I am probably the first UK 65" 4K OLED owner. However, both JL and RS have these physically in stock at their warehouses. JL actually did a stock check on RS so as to get me the price match.
Others may have bought these in very recent times so it is entirely possible that some will find new homes before mine arrives.

Likel the 970 design over the 960 aswell not a fan of the acrylic stand on it.

Looking as though Gordon is on for this coming Saturday to calibrate this EC970. He is really keen as this will be the first time that he has encountered this set too.

Congrats. May I ask why the surprise?
Thank you.
This was a late 2014 set as far as release was concerned. When the EG960 was announced for 2015 there was a belief (also shared by myself) that any EC970's would be clearance stock, prior to the arrival of the 2015 sets. Instead there are reports from US buyers that there are MFD dates of this month on the EC970s that have just arrived in that territory. This means that they are still being made basically....

Thank you.
This was a late 2014 set as far as release was concerned. When the EG960 was announced for 2015 there was a belief (also shared by myself) that any EC970's would be clearance stock, prior to the arrival of the 2015 sets. Instead there are reports from US buyers that there are MFD dates of this month on the EC970s that have just arrived in that territory. This means that they are still being made basically....
Ah okay thanks. The LG model numbering confuses me....

Congrats Limey. I too prefer the 970 stand, but I will be holding out for 960 unless you can convince me otherwise with your new arrival.

So, I guess this effectively pushes the 2015 model back? Time will tell and good luck on your voyage into 65" OLED.

Congrats Limey. I too prefer the 970 stand, but I will be holding out for 960 unless you can convince me otherwise with your new arrival.

Thank you, Chris.
Once it is here, I shall be posting regular updates as to how I am getting along with it. Gordon on Saturday will almost certainly post his views once he ISF calibrates the set...

So, I guess this effectively pushes the 2015 model back? Time will tell and good luck on your voyage into 65" OLED.
LG have intimated that both the 65" 970 and 65" 960 will be available in the UK at the same time, Vinnie - which has resulted in some headscratching as to why.

Desk

The 960 is due to be released in 2-4 weeks but LG and release dates - need we say anymore?
Thanks, I am really looking forward to the arrival of this TV now - gonna try to advance the delivery date. In the meantime, the EA980 goes into storage until I decide where it is going.

Oops wrong forum sorry Ec970
You are forgiven - if these are from a EG960 and are 4K then hopefully a taste of what I will be seeing from maybe Thursday night onwards on the 970....

Yes they are from the 65eg9606(germany)
Save yourself the heartache I had this weekend and Google the calibrated settings of this I found on the Internet. Mine were all screwed up before and I wanted to return the tv.
ImageUploadedByAVForums1430083320.032414.jpg

Well after much deliberation over the last few weeks, I have decided to take the plunge on an 65EC970V.

Congratulations on your order. I hope you thoroughly enjoy your time with this TV. The 65" screen should give a superb viewing experience....there's no substitute for screen area.

Thanks JDN.
Increasing the screen acreage was one of the major reasons for this purchase. While the 55" is a decent size when you see them in the shop beside a 65" then you realise exactly what experience that you have been missing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom