• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG 65E7 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

george1976

Established Member
I wonder if it's worth it to wait yet another year to see how the technology advances or just get it if the finances are right, is that maximum brightness such a big issue to make it worth the wait until the oled improves on that aspect?

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
You could wait and no doubt next year LG will add HFR support, HDMI 2.1 and perhaps get the brightness up a bit but I have to say that the B7 hits a sweet spot for me, especially now that Dolby Vision on Ultra HD Blu-ray is a reality. I've updated the firmware on the Oppo UDP-203 and I'm just waiting for my copies of Despicable Me 1 and 2 to arrive tomorrow and then I'll add a section on Dolby Vision to the review.

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
Will you be reviewing the B7/C7 as well Steve? I appreciate they're much the same as the E7, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Come black friday, I suspect I'll finally go OLED with a 65" B7 or C7.

Anyone fancy buying a 10 year old KURO?

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Will you be reviewing the B7/C7 as well Steve? I appreciate they're much the same as the E7, but it would be nice to know for sure.

Come black friday, I suspect I'll finally go OLED with a 65" B7 or C7.

Anyone fancy buying a 10 year old KURO?
Yes, I'm writing up the B7 review right now and I actually compare the B7 and E7 in this review. The short version is that there really aren't any differences.

GrazzaB

Distinguished Member
Hi Steve

Thanks for the in-depth review, and for the comments on Trumotion which dealt with it in a brief but very informative and non-dismissive manner, which is really valuable for people like me who are interested in this aspect! I could never use the clear or smooth modes as they're so OTT (in my opinion), but I do like lower levels of implementation of the feature.

Cheers.

PS I think it's such a shame they've dropped 3D, it's incredible on the 4k OLEDs.

babator

Established Member
You could wait and no doubt next year LG will add HFR support, HDMI 2.1 and perhaps get the brightness up a bit but I have to say that the B7 hits a sweet spot for me, especially now that Dolby Vision on Ultra HD Blu-ray is a reality. I've updated the firmware on the Oppo UDP-203 and I'm just waiting for my copies of Despicable Me 1 and 2 to arrive tomorrow and then I'll add a section on Dolby Vision to the review.
Do you agree with others that DV on OLED is a significant improvement over HDR10?

2masg

Standard Member
Thanks for a another very well written review.
Its very interesting to hear that you will look at DV next since thats the only aspect that i need more info on before deciding what TV to buy.
How many of the TV-reviews will you be able to update with DV testing? (I suspect you have to send the TV:s back at some point?)

woppy101

Distinguished Member
I take it that the TV you had was cherry picked from lg then? because the E7 I had came with both banding all the way to 20%ire and dark edges! See the pictures on page three of the E7 owners thread.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
How many of the TV-reviews will you be able to update with DV testing? (I suspect you have to send the TV:s back at some point?)
Yes they do go back but I've still got the B7 and E7, so I can check those out and we'll obviously test DV on any supporting TVs going forward.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
I take it that the TV you had was cherry picked from lg then? because the E7 I had came with both banding all the way to 20%ire and dark edges! See the pictures on page one of the E7 owners thread.
I've also just tested the B7 which didn't have any problems either and that was a retail sample.

mark800

Distinguished Member
Are you going to buy a B7 Steve for yourself?

Rob20

Prominent Member
Is there much of an upgrade between the 6th and 7th gen LG OLED? Could we be better off saving a £1,000 or more by going with the B6 or E6 compared to the B7/E7.

Goldorak

Distinguished Member
Yes they do go back but I've still got the B7 and E7, so I can check those out and we'll obviously test DV on any supporting TVs going forward.
Please also test dv from Netflix if possible..daredevil and some programs are streamed with dv apparently
CE Pro Europe

tigertimtim

Prominent Member
"The A1 is a masterclass in minimalist design and will also support Dolby Vision but overall we preferred the look, features and performance of the E7."

Not much difference in actual Picture Quality ?

Chamberlain

Prominent Member
So how is it compared with last years OLEDs picture wise? Some have mentioned it's better with sources that arent perfect and less noise/cleaner, did you think that too?

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
"The A1 is a masterclass in minimalist design and will also support Dolby Vision but overall we preferred the look, features and performance of the E7." Not much difference in actual Picture Quality ?
The A1 and E7 were very similar in terms of performance, there was a bit more banding on the A1 but it had better motion handling so it really comes down to personal preference.

Steve Withers

Distinguished Member
Is there much of an upgrade between the 6th and 7th gen LG OLED? Could we be better off saving a £1,000 or more by going with the B6 or E6 compared to the B7/E7.

So how is it compared with last years OLEDs picture wise? Some have mentioned it's better with sources that arent perfect and less noise/cleaner, did you think that too?
I do think the 2017 LG OLEDs are better than last year with a superior performance just above black, improved image accuracy and better handling of less than perfect content.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom