LG 65-inch C8 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

No mention of the E8 as an alternative which seems an odd omission. Or is that purely as it hasn't been reviewed yet?

great review steve and a epic tv,will hopefully upgrade to this later in the year.

The C8 is as capable as the E8, but cheaper. After the C8 (which has a better processor than the B8) I believe the only differences as you step up the OLED range are in sound and design, not PQ.

I've come prepared this time...

popcorn ready.jpg

No mention of the E8 as an alternative which seems an odd omission. Or is that purely as it hasn't been reviewed yet?
As someone else has already pointed out, the E8 isn't an alternative because the PQ and features are identical, so you're basically paying more for the same TV. You do get a different design and sound solution but I'd be surprised if the E8 sounded any better than the C8.

The C8 is as capable as the E8, but cheaper. After the C8 (which has a better processor than the B8) I believe the only differences as you step up the OLED range are in sound and design, not PQ.
Quite right.

Just checked the price for the 55C8 here in the Netherlands and a number of online stores seem to be selling it at around €2100 already which is a bit surprising. I just wish I had €2100 spare!

Thanks for this review Steve, it's the one I've been waiting for and the result is everything I hoped for.

Now I just need to wait for a substantial price drop :p I know there's a world cup promotion already but I'd like to see the 65" closer to 2.5k before taking the plunge.

Bit to early yet to be thinking of an upgrade,bit disappointed again no 3D,plus no support HR-10+,hopefully buy the time i get to an upgrade,their will be an tv that support everything :rolleyes::D
3D is dead as far as all the TV manufacturers are concerned, if you wait for that you'll be waiting for decades. The jury is still out on HDR10+ but in the meantime Dolby Vision is starting to make serious headway.

Just checked the price for the 55C8 here in the Netherlands and a number of online stores seem to be selling it at around €2100 already which is a bit surprising. I just wish I had €2100 spare!
That's a good price, you're looking at £2,499 here in the UK.

Great review and I expect will be the go to premium display this year based on price and performance .

The jury is still out on HDR10+ but in the meantime Dolby Vision is starting to make serious headway.
This is a real dilemma. I personally favour the Panasonic 802 (out in a couple of weeks), coupled with the UB420, to get HDR10+ across the two, but lose DV.
Is there anywhere a running (and objective) commentary on the 'race' between HDR10+ and DV? Everywhere I look, reports seem to be so out of date that it is hard to draw any conclusions about who's doing what.
Sorry, perhaps this isn't the right place to post such a question, but it seems pertinent following from Steve's assertion.

This is perfect timing as i was going to purchase this from John lewis, but thought i wait as I found no reviews of it, i was going to wait closer to the world cup. I am normally a Panasonic man but with the 1002 not having dolby vision support i decided against that. looks like LG are the Oled Kings with all Oled their panels. So i will purchase the 65 inch over the weekend wanted to go for the 77 but will not fit on my desired wall space. the only thing disappointing is that it does not have a separate media box like the latest Samsung Q9 so cant flush mount it on the wall as i would like.

As always nice Review Steve

Please make a comparison with C7 - given that BFI is a gimmick (and ThinkQ imo too), are there any real differences in picture quality between C7 and C8?

I was very impressed yesterday when i was able to do a direct comparison between the E8 and a B7 side by side running the same LG demo material ,there was a very marked improvement with the E8 over the B7,so with the C8 having the same picture quality i can fully understand the 10/10 rating :)

3D is dead as far as all the TV manufacturers are concerned, if you wait for that you'll be waiting for decades. The jury is still out on HDR10+ but in the meantime Dolby Vision is starting to make serious headway.

It's a shame,some studio are still supporting it,and do enjoy the odd 3D movie,maybe keep an 3D TV in bedroom :D,agree jury still out on HDR-10 +,but would like any new TV to support it all :smashin:

This is a real dilemma. I personally favour the Panasonic 802 (out in a couple of weeks), coupled with the UB420, to get HDR10+ across the two, but lose DV.
Is there anywhere a running (and objective) commentary on the 'race' between HDR10+ and DV? Everywhere I look, reports seem to be so out of date that it is hard to draw any conclusions about who's doing what.
Sorry, perhaps this isn't the right place to post such a question, but it seems pertinent following from Steve's assertion.

Would you not need studios to first support HDR10+ to get any benefit on UHD discs ? At least with DV discs the HDR10 base layer is there. I'm not DV enabled as yet but it seems to be the format with more traction.

Last edited:
10 for the Q9FN, 10 for the C8. Let’s all call a truce then. People should just pick what’s best for their personal needs.

I have a B7 and there's no question that the C8 has a superior picture.
Wow! The B7 has fantastic image quality, for the C8 to be even better is amazing :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom