LG 60PS8000 suitable for gaming?

danprice

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be moving in to a new flat in a month or so and my girlfriend has been kind enough to let me use the 2nd bedroom for a cinema/gaming room (with the agreement I'll put a sofa bed in).

I was originally going to get a new 50 inch Panasonic plasma but the room is a good size and the LG 60PS8000 has caught my eye. The TV looks great and I've seen it in person in Currys. The only thing I'm concerned about is the IR issues I've seen mentioned. I play a lot of PS3 and 360 and am wondering if I should rule this set out? I don't mind a bit of short term retention (30 secs - 2 mins) but don't want to see burn in for hours. I take it that permanent IR is a thing of the past now, even with the LG?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Dan

I use an LG plasma largely for gaming, I watch a lot of SD TV and movies as well though. It really depends on how long you will be gaming for though. I you were going to be gaming for more than a few hours at a time then I would recommend steering clear, and if you have a habit just to play one game, and wont be using it for anything else, for a long period of time then the image retention will build...in a way. So, how long will you be gaming for? and what games do you play? (some are worse than others).

Permanent burn in is rare, even on the LGs, but you could still get it and the LGs are more prone than the Panasonics which are very resistant. Phil Hinton mentioned that he had the sky logo on the 50PS8000 when he reviewed it for 4 hours, it took around 20 minutes to dissapear. This is very much the same as on my 32PG6000, but with improvement (ie it takes that long after 2-3 hours on mine)

Thanks for the reply. I play a wide range of games and never really for more than 2-3 hours at a time. FIFA is probably the one I stay on longest, so I'll have to be careful with the score, player names etc.

The plasma I use at the minute is a Hitachi 42PD9700 which I've never had any issues with. It uses an ALIS panel though, which I've heard are very IR resistant.

The hitachi plasmas were resistant to IR. I have similar useage to you, and I was on PES 2008 today for a little while (about an hour), there is a fairly clear blur where the scoreboard, time and player names appeared, but it did dissapear pretty quickly, although I didn't pay attention to how long. If I'm on again, which seems likely as I have nothing to do this week and I'm having a PES time, I'll try it out a little more, maybe with a longer session, I'll try and get some photos too so you can get a basic idea, although mine is obviously from last year though.

I would say that you could get away with it, as long as you took it easy in the early hours of its life, but it is probably a good idea to go for one of the Panasonics to be safe more than anything, obviously this will mean that you either end up paying more or getting a worse set. It would be fine if you took a break every hour of so for 5-10 minutes and have some regular TV on...while you put the kettle on or something.

Do modern plasmas have a Gaming mode were by the image moves in a continue but slight circle ie up,left,down,right. I saw that approach years ago and had just assumed it would now be standard on all plasmas?

There is the orbitter, which isn't specific to game mode, it's a similar concept. Basically every 2 minutes it will move the screen over by 2 pixels, you can change how often and how many pixels in the service menu if that doesn't suit. It doesn't do a huge difference but does give you a piece of mind and works well for some of the HUDs that appear in some games. I'm not sure about specific techniques in the new Panasonics but you wont need to worry on them. I've noticed a difference when it's been on and off on mine, but as I said, it's just minor and really just blurs any image retention more than anything

Thanks again for your help Monarch. Think I'll go for the LG as the Panasonic in the same size (60 Inch) will cost about £3k I think!! Will just have to take lots of snack brakes during gaming!

Still wondering if I an really justify a 60 inch tv as well.....

I had an hour (just over) on PES today and was going to upload some photos of the IR it left (it doesn't get much worse, even after 3 hours!) but it's impossible to really show, I get more of a reflection of the camera! So I wont bother as I don't want to give you the wrong impression either way. As you say though, taking breaks is the best way to tackle it, especially during long sessions, and if you can clear up any IR as soon as you've finished, putting it on freeview for a bit after a session is the way to do it, or the white wash when you get extreme IR! And hey, I'm sure it wont be hard snacking more often...make sure it's healthy though :rotfl:

I suppose whether or not a 60" TV is appropriate depends on how far away you'll be sat...you're ears and eyes might start bleeding if you're too close :eek: you would be able to get a decent 50" TV though...like the V10 :cool:

I had an hour (just over) on PES today and was going to upload some photos of the IR it left (it doesn't get much worse, even after 3 hours!) but it's impossible to really show, I get more of a reflection of the camera! So I wont bother as I don't want to give you the wrong impression either way. As you say though, taking breaks is the best way to tackle it, especially during long sessions, and if you can clear up any IR as soon as you've finished, putting it on freeview for a bit after a session is the way to do it, or the white wash when you get extreme IR! And hey, I'm sure it wont be hard snacking more often...make sure it's healthy though :rotfl:

I suppose whether or not a 60" TV is appropriate depends on how far away you'll be sat...you're ears and eyes might start bleeding if you're too close :eek: you would be able to get a decent 50" TV though...like the V10 :cool:
Or the 50PS8000, the point is, if you start to look for retention you will see it :), on any screen...
Like the judder, on my 32 inch Samsung LCD I could not see it until a friend of mine pointed it out to me and the result? I even see it in the cinemas now :(((.
Just enjoy your tv :), LG makes great tv's and personally I think their price is fantastic for the quality you get :).

The LGs do have a great picture, and offer fantastic value for money, but on my LG you really don't need to look for image retention to see it, it's hard to see in a well lit room but dim the lights and it can be clearly visible if it's bad

The LGs do have a great picture, and offer fantastic value for money, but on my LG you really don't need to look for image retention to see it, it's hard to see in a well lit room but dim the lights and it can be clearly visible if it's bad
Hmm. Not really good for evening film viewing, then:cool:
Better stick to a Pansonic.:smashin:

Hmm. Not really good for evening film viewing, then:cool:
Better stick to a Pansonic.:smashin:

well it depends, it's not visible when there's something on screen (unless it's a very very dark scene) and I watch plenty of movies on mine (and bare in mind mine is last years model which is a bit worse), I just make sure that I get rid of any IR before I start, it only means 10 minutes of TV

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom