Question LG 58UH635V 8-bit confusion + HDMI...?

Atomicus

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this set and according to displayspecifications, it's 8-bit, but my Xbox One S seems to recognise it as 10-bit and HDR capable? Does that mean it's more likely to be 8-bit + FRC? It's obviously not a 10-bit panel, I know that, but I have had the Xbox recognise an 8-bit + FRC Hisense TV as 10-bit HDR before. Just trying to understand what's going on here, as I wouldn't have thought if it was vanilla 8-bit that the Xbox would be saying otherwise?

I'm also trying to find out if all the HDMI ports are HDMI 2.0 and capable of 4K @ 60Hz. The manual says nothing (other than one is ARC), so does that mean they must all be 2.0? Can't seem to find this info anywhere.

I'm not familiar with the Xbox but it may only be commenting on which signal the TV can accept, rather than anything in the way of the TV's display abilities.

Details of the 630v and 635v are scarce but it has the same slightly extended colour space as the 650-750 models (110% Rec.709), is likely to also have their slightly extended brightness range (~400cd/m²) and probably won't support any form of local dimming.

I'm not sure if it's an 8-bit or 10-bit panel and whether it supports dithering but it's not a big factor.

I'm not sure about HDMI 2 ports, LG's website seems to imply all 3 which would make sense if none of them are labelled or pointed out in the manual.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the Xbox but it may only be commenting on which signal the TV can accept, rather than anything in the way of the TV's display abilities.

Details of the 630v and 635v are scarce but it has the same slightly extended colour space as the 650-750 models (110% Rec.709), is likely to also have their slightly extended brightness range (~400cd/m²) and probably won't support any form of backlight dimming.

I'm not sure if it's an 8-bit or 10-bit panel and whether it supports dithering but it's not a big factor.

I'm not sure about HDMI 2 ports, LG's website seems to imply all 3 which would make sense if none of them are labelled or pointed out in the manual.

It definitely has local dimming, I can see that in effect.

Seemed odd to me that Xbox would recognise it as 10-bit. I actually noticed it didn't at first, but then I updated the software on the TV and it did.

I have no issues with the colour performance, so I am not complaining. That's all that matters I suppose. Still, bit puzzling to me.

It definitely has local dimming, I can see that in effect.

Really? That's pretty big news as the surrounding models don't have that ability. How many dimming zones does it appear to have?

Really? That's pretty big news as the surrounding models don't have that ability. How many dimming zones does it appear to have?

I'm not quite sure, but I had the Hisense M7000 and it seemed comparable. How do I tell? Also, the LG product page says it has local dimming. It also says it's IPS though, which is blatantly wrong. I can see this is a VA panel from the viewing angle and blacks alone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom