Question LG 55UH850V Put Out To Pasture

BPDan

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone, Dan here. Long time viewer first time signer upper questioner. This seems to be the go to place for knowledgeable people on the subject of televisions. Currently I’ve got into a mess searching for new tv and would really appreciate some advice if that’s possible.

My LG 55UH850V for the past year as a black line down centre left of the screen. I’ve had it from new and it’s been a good reliable best bang for my buck tv I’ve ever had. But, now is the time I must let it go as it seems to be developing more faults as each day passes.

A TV for me is more important than most as I have complex mental health issues and it’s a lifeline for me when I’m in a dark place (I won’t go into much detail as it’s not a great story and long winded...like this question) It sounds silly I know but being agoraphobic/suicidal/everything else a tv is an escape a way for an hour or so I can not be me. Since covid I also haven’t left the house even to see my mental health team so everything has becoming overwhelmingly difficult.

Let’s crack on

So, I’m looking for advice on where to go next. I love LG OS as it’s simple and it’s what I know however I’m not put off by trying something new. I’ve recently got back into gaming (thanks mental health team) so that’s my first use and then movies and tv. My current game playing varies but is centred around shadow of war, the division 2, no mans sky, elite dangerous and hopefully modern warfare. I play on PlayStation 5 and use the tv for Netflix/Sky/Prime and Disney+.

I was looking at the LG Nano 916 or the Sony xh9005 as I saw they get fairly decent reviews. After scrolling through forums it appears not all is how it appears and has got me in a pickle. I do take peaks at OLED but I don’t know if my gaming habits would be a concern. I also use the tv to fall asleep to (told you it’s a long story) so again I’m unsure how that would affect the tv, though I do tend to use the eco mode on maximum on the LG. It’ll be for the bedroom which is quite dinky around 3mx4m I think. I’m open to different sizes but wouldn’t like to go lower than 55 if that’s possible unless absolutely necessary.
The budget is around £1000 a little more is required maybe £1200 at a push

TL;DR
  • LG tv dying
  • need new one
  • gaming top usage (currently) would also like a decent tv and/or movie use if possible
  • 55’ min (unless absolute)
  • £1000 (best bang for the buck)

I can only assume more or less anything will be a substantial upgrade. I used to be tech savvy, now, not so much. So I really appreciate any advice. It’s taken me a couple months to post on here. I really struggle with conversing with people as I get into a state very panicky/paranoid/anxious. I apologise if there are any grammar issues or ive missed anything out. Again thank you for reading and I hope you all have a good day/weekend

check out the LG BX and CX just about in budget. as said the Sony xh9005 to.

If you like the LG OS, then BX/CX are both good choices.

Burn is a risk (@Dodgexander has a good guide on here). Broadly speaking a good mixed use isn’t a big risk; but important that you judge it for your self. I do have phases when I play a game for 3hrs plus, several times a week - but worked out it will be like 7yrs before I am likely to see burn in.
my Sony has a “turn off after she’s” feature, which I guess the LG will probably have? Think it only works with apps (I.e not a ps5).

If you steer away from OLED, The other tv worth looking at is the highly rated XH9505; doesn’t have HDMI2.1 but cracking HDR and regularly recommended on here. Worth looking up HDMI2.1/VRR/etc to see if it is important for you; for me great HDR is more important than some new gaming features that Might be buggy.

John Lewis have the XH9505 for £1299: a bit over budget tho.

size wise 55” is kinda the minimum size nowadays for value; 65” could be an option, depending on model and budget. Prices for 2020 TVs will be/or are at their best, so great time to get a bargain.

hope that helps.

cheers

Hey Dan, and welcome to the forum. I certainly know how it can feel being down in the dumps. So if you need anyone to talk to you are always welcome to send me a PM!

If you are happy with the sound of an OLED you should think about the LG BX or CX which are probably the best all-round OLED TVs you can buy today, they have HDMI 2.1 VRR gaming support, which is a bonus.

I have a guide setup for gamer here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

They are also of course all very good TVs for mixed usage too. If you were able to fit a 65" stretching to the aforementioned Sony XH9505 LCD TV is certainly good value at the moment.

Hey Dan, and welcome to the forum. I certainly know how it can feel being down in the dumps. So if you need anyone to talk to you are always welcome to send me a PM!

If you are happy with the sound of an OLED you should think about the LG BX or CX which are probably the best all-round OLED TVs you can buy today, they have HDMI 2.1 VRR gaming support, which is a bonus.

They are also of course all very good TVs for mixed usage too. If you were able to fit a 65" stretching to the aforementioned Sony XH9505 LCD TV is certainly good value at the moment.
If you like the LG OS, then BX/CX are both good choices.

Burn is a risk (@Dodgexander has a good guide on here). Broadly speaking a good mixed use isn’t a big risk; but important that you judge it for your self. I do have phases when I play a game for 3hrs plus, several times a week - but worked out it will be like 7yrs before I am likely to see burn in.
my Sony has a “turn off after she’s” feature, which I guess the LG will probably have? Think it only works with apps (I.e not a ps5).

If you steer away from OLED, The other tv worth looking at is the highly rated XH9505; doesn’t have HDMI2.1 but cracking HDR and regularly recommended on here. Worth looking up HDMI2.1/VRR/etc to see if it is important for you; for me great HDR is more important than some new gaming features that Might be buggy.

John Lewis have the XH9505 for £1299: a bit over budget tho.

size wise 55” is kinda the minimum size nowadays for value; 65” could be an option, depending on model and budget. Prices for 2020 TVs will be/or are at their best, so great time to get a bargain.

hope that helps.

cheers
Really appreciate the informed replies. Sorry for not replying quick as I didn’t get an email saying anyone replied.

I think burn in risk is what puts me on edge. I think as it stands I’m very mixed with how it’s used so I assume that’s more or less a safe option based on that?

the xh9505 was one I was looking at and the cheaper xh9005 but seen that it has issues with the gaming side and hdr being a tad underwhelming. I was also looking at the LG nano 55/65 nano916 but that gets varied reviews with the backlighting being pretty bad, the again my current LG’s backlighting is pretty terrible, compared to now.

I can stretch my budget if it means getting something worth the money. I’d rather not buy a massive tv with sub par quality. It would appear the oled is very much the front runner.

Is there an option such as an energy saving where it’ll dim the screen so if I fall asleep with it on there won’t be a constant bright image?

Obviously we don’t have crystal balls but would you say it’s worth waiting for the new range or just pull the trigger on the CX?

I honestly do appreciate the kind responses as I imagine this forum gets inundated with the same requests over and over, so thanks for putting up with my long winded question.

LGs Nano 90/91 is not really competitive with other higher end LCD TVs. If you are buying something cheap, want gaming features and don't care so much about HDR picture quality its okay. It uses an IPS panel type instead of VA, which means contrast and blacks aren't as good, it also has poor light control, in part because of bad local dimming, in part because of IPS technology. Generally, there's no place for the Nano90 in the market with TVs like the Sony XH90 and XH95, even Samsung's models which aren't considered great value like the Samsung Q70T are better value.

With the OLEDs, very little changes year to year normally. Next year there is an increase in durability and brightness, but only with the very high end models. LG are bringing the technology only to their G1 model (which replaces this years GX) and not their new C1 and B1 OLEDs that replace the current CX and BX. Therefore there won't be a huge difference.

If you were shopping at the premium end of the market, and looking at the GX now, it would be worth waiting for the G1 to be released and price to come down a little.

With other manufacturers of OLEDs its a little different, Sony are replacing both their OLED TVs with newer models with improved picture quality in HDR mode, but these TVs will be more expensive (especially at launch) than the current AH8 and AG9.

Generally a good idea when shopping for a TV is to understand the release and pricing cycle, this is a good recent video to watch that explains that:

In the respect of burn in risk, think about how you will use the TV. If you have usage that is dangerous and its repeated usage...to think of one of two examples; playing a game with bright static HUDS like FIFA regularly or watching a news channel/breakfast news every morning for an hour with logos and tickers on the screen then those would be dangerous. But if you are like most people and have mixed usage, it shouldn't be a problem.

OLEDs do have features that help reduce burn in risk. They have screen savers when you use built in apps and they will also dim the screen if no input is detected for some time. Like with every TV, conservative sleep timers can also be set. More about burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk

Hi Dodge,
I thought I must comment on your post.
When I read this I thought what a kind and caring person you are.
Well done mate
Dazgwinn

LGs Nano 90/91 is not really competitive with other higher end LCD TVs. If you are buying something cheap, want gaming features and don't care so much about HDR picture quality its okay. It uses an IPS panel type instead of VA, which means contrast and blacks aren't as good, it also has poor light control, in part because of bad local dimming, in part because of IPS technology. Generally, there's no place for the Nano90 in the market with TVs like the Sony XH90 and XH95, even Samsung's models which aren't considered great value like the Samsung Q70T are better value.

With the OLEDs, very little changes year to year normally. Next year there is an increase in durability and brightness, but only with the very high end models. LG are bringing the technology only to their G1 model (which replaces this years GX) and not their new C1 and B1 OLEDs that replace the current CX and BX. Therefore there won't be a huge difference.

If you were shopping at the premium end of the market, and looking at the GX now, it would be worth waiting for the G1 to be released and price to come down a little.

With other manufacturers of OLEDs its a little different, Sony are replacing both their OLED TVs with newer models with improved picture quality in HDR mode, but these TVs will be more expensive (especially at launch) than the current AH8 and AG9.

Generally a good idea when shopping for a TV is to understand the release and pricing cycle, this is a good recent video to watch that explains that:

In the respect of burn in risk, think about how you will use the TV. If you have usage that is dangerous and its repeated usage...to think of one of two examples; playing a game with bright static HUDS like FIFA regularly or watching a news channel/breakfast news every morning for an hour with logos and tickers on the screen then those would be dangerous. But if you are like most people and have mixed usage, it shouldn't be a problem.

OLEDs do have features that help reduce burn in risk. They have screen savers when you use built in apps and they will also dim the screen if no input is detected for some time. Like with every TV, conservative sleep timers can also be set. More about burn in here: OLED Burn In Risk

This is brilliant, I honestly cannot thank you guys enough. It’s pretty much set me down the oled path. Thank you again. You’ve all been amazing

Guys I got the LG 55BX6LB at the weekend. I really appreciate the input and kindness from you guys. It’s a cracking telly and glad I took your advice and read what you all had to say, so thank you. Hope you all have a pleasant week going forward 😊

I don’t know if I should start a new thread but if any of you have a ps5 could you show me what the hdmi cable looks like. I’ve tried looking online and can’t find a solid picture of what it looks like, I even asked PlayStation on Twitter but no help there. I placed mine in a box of cables (genius) and now I have no idea which it is. I think I’ve narrowed it down to 2 square ones. One has high speed written on it and the other is blank

Glad you are happy! Here's a link with images of HDMI cables:

One comes in the PS5 box.

HDMI 2.1 cables do have some differences, but most of the ones labelled high speed will work with 2.1 too.

Glad you are happy! Here's a link with images of HDMI cables:

One comes in the PS5 box.

HDMI 2.1 cables do have some differences, but most of the ones labelled high speed will work with 2.1 too.
Ahh okay. I was trying to find an image of the one that comes in the box as I’m unsure which one it is. Much appreciated. I’ll see what Amazon has for sale

Just try to use any, chances is they will work. At worst it will mean you can't go above 4k 60hz but you'll soon find out. No harm in trying.

Just try to use any, chances is they will work. At worst it will mean you can't go above 4k 60hz but you'll soon find out. No harm in trying.
Just to rely I found out which one it is and it’s all gravy absolutely loving the oled. I do have a concern with a few films/shows/games I’ve had dark scenes have blotchy blacks if that makes sense? Should I start a new thread on this? Or am I best keeping my questions in this thread an maybe amending the title? I’ve searched on google and found some people mention about “breaking it in” and “it’s normal on a new tv”
Thanks again for your help and hope you’re well

Just to rely I found out which one it is and it’s all gravy absolutely loving the oled. I do have a concern with a few films/shows/games I’ve had dark scenes have blotchy blacks if that makes sense? Should I start a new thread on this? Or am I best keeping my questions in this thread an maybe amending the title? I’ve searched on google and found some people mention about “breaking it in” and “it’s normal on a new tv”
Thanks again for your help and hope you’re well
There's nothing you can do about the blotchy blacks, its inerrant of the TVs processing. It will be more apparent in low quality content like streams than it will with UHD Blu-Rays. The more expensive CX does it a bit better than the BX, so you could consider returning it for that model to resolve some of the blotchy-ness.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom