LG 55UH850V - needs new main board - LG quoted £250 - is it worth doing?

SuperBadger

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've had my LG 55UH850V for about 6 years - cost me £1000 new and it's been a good tv - main TV in the house used for Sky, PS5, Prime etc. About 3 months after the 5 year warranty expired, when I turn it on, after about 5-10 seconds, no matter what I do the screen goes blank. I can still hear audio. I tried everything, and had to get a replacement tv LG OLED55C14 LB the same night or risk having to talk to my family. It seems such a shame to through it out. I contacted LG and after a few step checks they said they can replace the main board for £250. Is this worth doing? I can see you can get a budget LG 55 inch tv now for £300. Seems such a shame to throw it out though. Is a 6 year old LG better than a £300 current one? Any advice appreciated.

I have the 49" version of the same model and I still rate it as a good TV. What you get for £300 now is going to have a basic LCD screen (UH850v was SUHD and 2nd in the premium 2016 LCD lineup, behind the UH950v). It is the equivalent of todays LG Nano LCD screens which are much more than £300.

How did LG diagnose it? Over the phone?

Sounds to me like one or more components in the power supply/drive for the LED backlight is/are overheating after 5-10 seconds and either going open or short circuit, triggering the protection circuit to kick in. Possibly a MLCC (multi-layer ceramic capacitor), a diode or a voltage regulator which cost a few pence to a few pounds to purchase, but most manufacturers just replace entire PCBs rather that replacing components.

If you want to hold on to it, find a TV repair shop/individual that will troubleshoot to component level.

Check out Michael Dranfield on YouTube to see examples of problems and fixes for LCD TV issues.

Would be interested in the outcome/fix in case mine ever does the same in the future.

Hope this helps.

I have the 49" version of the same model and I still rate it as a good TV. What you get for £300 now is going to have a basic LCD screen (UH850v was SUHD and 2nd in the premium 2016 LCD lineup, behind the UH950v). It is the equivalent of todays LG Nano LCD screens which are much more than £300.

How did LG diagnose it? Over the phone?

Sounds to me like one or more components in the power supply/drive for the LED backlight is/are overheating after 5-10 seconds and either going open or short circuit, triggering the protection circuit to kick in. Possibly a MLCC (multi-layer ceramic capacitor), a diode or a voltage regulator which cost a few pence to a few pounds to purchase, but most manufacturers just replace entire PCBs rather that replacing components.

If you want to hold on to it, find a TV repair shop/individual that will troubleshoot to component level.

Check out Michael Dranfield on YouTube to see examples of problems and fixes for LCD TV issues.

Would be interested in the outcome/fix in case mine ever does the same in the future.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the advice. I was just about to tip it. They diagnosed it via email: change the cables / power source etc. finally shine a torch on it and see if you can see a picture, which you can't. You are right, does seem like something is tripping out, as the screen works for 5-10s before it goes, every time. I'll see if I can find an engineer and look at that YouTube video. Just seems such a waste having to throw it out.

Always worth opening up the back casing of the TV and then having a good look at the mainboard and power boards for any bulging capacitors (like tiny AA batteries) or anything else that looks funny also.

Just be careful since components on those boards can carry electricity and give you a nasty shock, so check the YT vids to get an idea you do need to have some basic skill and knowhow here.

I replaced an 87p blown Capacitor on my monitor while back, got another 3 years out of her, shame the same can't be said for females.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom